What's that "button" called? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
What's that "button" called?

There are two spring loaded "buttons" on the sliding cabinet doors at the front of the Trillliums that keep the doors together. Anyone know:
1) what they are called?
2) where I can get a couple?
3) any recommended replacement or upgrade

Thanks
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I plan to use some magnets instead of the button.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lyle, I don't know what they're called, but maybe Larry has something. See his downloadable brochure (PDF) at the bottom of his first post: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...els-51048.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I think that they're called ball detents. I don't know where you'll find them but at least you can ask for them by their name

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think that they're called ball detents. I don't know where you'll find them but at least you can ask for them by their name

Ron
hmmmm yeah,,,thats probably it,,i was thinking sliding door holder downers,,,,,,,but your probably right....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
I found bullet catches at the hardware store - see post below. They look the same but button a little shorter
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-44420.html
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

Trailer: Compact Jr
In another thread, spotcatbug said:

After much searching with the suggestion to check with McMaster-Carr, I found out what these things are. They are a real thing (not some strange re-purpose of some other thing) called "spring-loaded captive sliding door plungers." Or just "spring-loaded plungers," depending on who you're dealing with.

The problem in the Trillium is that the plungers are "press-in" style plungers, meaning you need to use a press to install them. I can't figure out how to get the old ones out. I should have mentioned: the three that are missing aren't entirely missing. The "husk" which used to contain the spring and the pin is still there, pressed into place. Somehow the pin and the springs came out (and got lost).

So, to fix these, first I'd need to "un-press" these old ones. That's not a big deal; I'd probably just cut them out. The big deal is, I can't just find a direct replacement. I don't have a press. I need a "thread-in" style plunger that will go into the existing hole. Not impossible, but it has slowed me down considerably. Especially considering that there are other, easy ways to hold the sliding doors closed while traveling.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
I still have the original sliding doors w/the buttons, but I wanted to try some different things out door-wize. Rather than take the old buttons out of the old doors and probably ruin them, I'd rather get something similar or different even for the new doors and leave the original doors alone. Thanks to all the suggestors. At least now I know what to ask/search for (It's so hard to wave your arms in an email) and referring to a part as "that-button-looking-thing" doesn't impress many hardware folks.
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hilby View Post
In another thread, spotcatbug said:

After much searching with the suggestion to check with McMaster-Carr, I found out what these things are. They are a real thing (not some strange re-purpose of some other thing) called "spring-loaded captive sliding door plungers." Or just "spring-loaded plungers," depending on who you're dealing with.
Wow, that is terrific that you found them. I also saw the “bullet catches" name on an earlier post. I was looking for them when I made new sliding doors for my new front cabinet a couple of weeks ago. However, I ended up using a mini pushbutton electrical switch for the same purpose, which works just fine. It also had the advantage that I could screw it in using the threads once I drilled a new hole the right size. That way I could adjust the travel of the pushbutton so that it worked well. Since I was making new doors, I could make the hole any size I wanted. Pictures below; I cut the electrical tabs off the end of the switch to make it shorter.

Thanks for doing the research. I see the McMaster-Carr catalogue has a number of different spring loaded catches, several of which look like they would work.

Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2711.JPG   IMGP2713.JPG  

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium