What's the best way to fastened things inside my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Name: Jay Marlette
Trailer: 1976 Scamp
California
What's the best way to fastened things inside my Scamp

I recently scored a completely gutted out 1976 Scamp. After I patch body holes and correct the windows and doors, I'm going to make a it completely novel inside. Some recognizable features such as a dinette that converts to a bed and the Bunk/couch in the front will be there. What I want to do is make an ornate or Gypsy style interior where all the plywood surfaces have ornate paintings on them and the cushion covers are ornate. I want to custom build the interiors to hold my camping stove, camping light, camping heater and so on so that there is no actual electrical or gas hook up (barring the road lights and perhaps a shore hook up cord). For example, I am going to build an ornate shelf that looks like a railroad light where my LED camping light fits inside. I will build a counter surface with a sliding shelf where my camp stove will stash if I want to cook inside (like a sliding keyboard tray for an office table)

Finally to my question. What is the best way to connect wood or hardware to the inside? For example, I will have wood strips attached to the wall where counters can screw into. What is the best way to connect those interior wood pieces?

Jay Marlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Marlette View Post
Finally to my question. What is the best way to connect wood or hardware to the inside? For example, I will have wood strips attached to the wall where counters can screw into. What is the best way to connect those interior wood pieces?
Sorry your image didnt come through.

You can fiberglass wood strips to the wall of the trailer to allow you to screw things into it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

California
Also, anybody in the Berkeley CA area who would be willing to let me check out their project for tips and inspiration?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

California
Thanks Carol. That is very helpful. I'm just now boning up on fiberglass and saw something like that.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Marlette View Post
Thanks Carol. That is very helpful. I'm just now boning up on fiberglass and saw something like that.
The fiberglass trailer manufactures such as Escape who dont use rivets through the trailers shell do it that way to secure cabinets etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sounds like your trailer will be beautiful and unique! I'd love to see photos along the way! I wonder if you've seen this stay in gypsy-caravan luberon provence lagnes - le mas du grand jonquier. What gave you the inspiration to make a gypsy trailer?

I would caution you to check the weight of your trailer and the towing capacity of your tow vehicle. All that wood will be heavy.

Good luck with your fantastic project!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Why, duct tape of course! Just kidding...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #8

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Gilda - that is a different sort of stationary trailer. Someone had a good idea for a novel cabin! Doesn't look even vaguely like the gypsy caravans I saw in my childhood though. Jay seems to have more idea of what to aim for with lots of colourful paintwork. When I was a kid gypsy caravans were pulled by a horse and even the water pails were painted with flowers and imaginary birds! Oh - I so wanted to run away from home and join the gypsies!!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Hazel,
If you don't mind sharing, where and when did you grow up? I have never seen an authentic gypsy caravan, having grown up in San Francisco.
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #10

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Hi Gilda - of course I don't mind sharing...........I was a child in Essex, England (sort of north east of London), born during WW2. Gypsies were seen often enough that I recognised their caravans. The last time I saw one was in 1986 close to the River Thames in Gravesend, Kent - it was even complete with a horse! There is info online about gypsies - also known as Romanies. Here is one site I found........

http://gypsywaggons.co.uk/varhistory.htm
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #11

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Jay, here is a pic of an approach I've been working with on my still in progress Scamp rebuild.

The overhead cabinet was attached with epoxy and then reinforced with a bit of fiberglass. The lower cabinet frame is attached with polyurethane adhesive - PL Premium.

I've also tried attaching some pieces with the PL adhesive and then reinforcing with fiberglass. So far so good - but the trailer has been sitting on blocks the whole time. The real test will come when I start using it - especially with the rooftop AC unit mounted up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0346.jpg  
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Hi Gilda - of course I don't mind sharing...........I was a child in Essex, England (sort of north east of London), born during WW2. Gypsies were seen often enough that I recognised their caravans. The last time I saw one was in 1986 close to the River Thames in Gravesend, Kent - it was even complete with a horse! There is info online about gypsies - also known as Romanies. Here is one site I found........

http://gypsywaggons.co.uk/varhistory.htm
We lived in Germany (1965-1968) in the little village that we lived in we would see the gypsies in the carvan wagons several times a year. We traveled a lot and would often see them on the roads....never got to see inside,sure wish I had, but they were always friendly....
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #13

Trailer: Play Pac
Whenever I hear the word gypsy and camper I always think of this way over the top camper:
Gypsy Purple: Design Find: Magnolia Pearl....
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #14

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Marlette
I recently scored a completely gutted out 1976 Scamp. After I patch body holes and correct the windows and doors, I'm going to make a it completely novel inside. Some recognizable features such as a dinette that converts to a bed and the Bunk/couch in the front will be there. What I want to do is make an ornate or Gypsy style interior where all the plywood surfaces have ornate paintings on them and the cushion covers are ornate. I want to custom build the interiors to hold my camping stove, camping light, camping heater and so on so that there is no actual electrical or gas hook up (barring the road lights and perhaps a shore hook up cord). For example, I am going to build an ornate shelf that looks like a railroad light where my LED camping light fits inside. I will build a counter surface with a sliding shelf where my camp stove will stash if I want to cook inside (like a sliding keyboard tray for an office table)

What a wonderful project! When swiped, the second phot comes up. It's going to be fantastic. I would definitely go the way of fiberglassing it in place. You have it exposed, so it should be relatively easy and the fiberglass will strengthen the walls as you progress. Good luck and please add photos as you have progress! So exciting.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Robert Johan's is completely rebuilding a 1974 Boler. He split the shell at the belly band. If you haven't read the entire thread, it's worth your time.

Anyway, as a master rebuilder of eggs... his post here says he uses industrial automotive 2-part epoxy to glue the cleats for fastening cabinets, etc. Post #80 1974 Boler Resto
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp