What's the trick with the awning? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2003, 04:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What's the trick with the awning?

I thought I had paid attention when Chuck ran through the operation of the Horizon awning on my Casita, but I had difficulty with it this afternoon when I tried it myself for the first time. The instructions say to extend the legs when the awning is about three feet extended. Problem is, each leg is over 50" and long before it will miss the sides of the trailer when it is swung out, the awning seems to be putting an awful lot of torsional weight on the mount. (The lip of the awning's front cover prevents the leg from tipping down until it is almost fully extended.) Looks like it would be easy with extra hands to hold the awning up and keep the otherwise unsupported weight off the mount, but what's the trick to setting it up with only one person to do the job?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 10:00 PM   #2

Awning

Robert,

Crank it out about two feet. Pull the legs loose from the retaining clip by loosing the retaining knob near the ends of the awning. Then grasp the leg between the knob and the end of the awning and pull out about 3 inches at the hinge. Then the leg can be lowered straight down to a vertical position. (it should not be extended toward the trailer). Once the two legs are vertical tighten the knobs so they are the correct height to support the awning. Now you should only crank the awning out a foot or two. Move the legs out and repeat, until it is extended the desired distance. Now you can add the center support and move the legs back to the bracket on the trailer if you wish.

I hope this makes some since to you.

Good Luck

Old 03-23-2003, 08:09 AM   #3

Awning

Ron and Bernice,

Many thanks.

Articulated legs! Of course. Don't pull leg out from bottom, dummy— pull it out at the top to actuate the swivel joint! Duh! Thanks all, it works like a charm now. Things are a little stiff, though, since this is the first time I had the awning out.

Made perfect sense. Thanks!