wheel bearing covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
wheel bearing covers

So spoke to scamp HQ today and was told good luck... so now I'm turning here!

So blew a bearing in November in NY... I"ll leave it as hell at a truck stop. At lease I had... cold beverages! I ended up keeping the bearing wet with grease for the rest of the 1000mile trip. Well now it's time to head home... and I don't want to play this game again!

SO my 1977 13footer needs a new bearing dust cover... it takes at 2.02 lip with a 2inch rise. Any leads where I might find a pair or two or three...

Thanks in advance
Heather

PS for those in the central Florida area... found a great place in Avon Park at the old air base...
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you "blew a bearing", won't you need more than a dust cover?

In any event, I'd take the original to an auto parts store. Napa, etc. They'll try and match it up. On line etrailer and eastern marine both sell hub parts. There you will need a part number or measurements. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I found them at my local auto parts store, Here are some examples available through Harbor Freight
1.98" Wheel Bearing Protectors, 1 Pair

Although these appear to be .020" smaller, but with their return policy it would be worth giving them a try
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Like Raz, I have seen them at NAPA stores, and they do come in different sizes. As a last resort I've used a plastic jar or container lid or something similar, soft plastic whatever, that will slip over the end of the hub and hold it on with a worm gear hose clamp. Anything to keep dirt and water out. If you can get the other one off take it with you to an auto parts store to match it up.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
If you "blew a bearing", won't you need more than a dust cover?
That's what I'm thinking, too. "Keeping the bearings wet with grease" for a thousand miles got the trailer to its destination with a hub full of dusty (therefore abrasive) grease. I'd have replaced at least the bearings after their having been subjected to such an ordeal, and acquired a new dust cap at the same time.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

New Hampshire
Registry
wheel bearing

Maybe I have my wording wrong.....

My racs are 1.98... darn thing nearly welded itself to my axle in NY. I lost the cover to it.... it measures 2.02 in diameter. I tried a Buddy thing at 1.98, and it fell off customer it was too small

I'm tearing it all apart and regreasing everything before my return trip home.

If I can't find a cover, any ideas?

Heather
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've greased the bearings on my trailer as part of the regular yearly maintenance. But if my bearings were "nearly welded to the axle" I'd want a professional opinion on the condition of the spindle, bearings, etc. Having a wheel come off is something I would just as soon avoid. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Having a wheel come off is something I would just as soon avoid. Raz
On the other hand, if one's thought ahead and mounted a rearview video camera, it makes for an exciting Youtube video.

According to the uploader, cause was the
Quote:
bearing failed on the box trailer.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes1630 View Post

Heather
Read my idea in post #4. anything to keep it clean. Plastic plumbing pipe cap? Piece of car radiator hose with something stuck in to plug it and hose clamps to hold it on. Most good auto parts stores will have lengths of straight radiator hose that is sold by length. I always carry a cheap set of calipers for measuring such things. Many NAPA stores, and other parts stores get overnight delivery if you can determine what dust cap you need. Sounds like the bearing spun on the axle stub causing it to seize on. I've had that happen where I had to grind the bearing off. Unless the axle shaft turned blue I wouldn't worry about it, seeing as how after the failure in NY you made it all the way to Florida.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Boat places have them and they also have bearing sets in blister packs
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Tractor Supply or even better than that, Northern Tool. Take the old one with you.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I have had trouble replacing them on two occasions. The first time I was able to find a size that was "close enough" and with appropriate persuasion (a few carefully placed swings of a hammer) it was firmly mounted. The second time I had fewer options so I ended up using several pieces of duct tape. It lasted the 800 miles home where I promptly cleaned everything out and put in fresh bearings.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

Registry
Still the the cover of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" gives good advice..."DON'T PANIC"

When I retrieve a trailer, I carry a retrieval kit for nearly any exigency.
However, the picture below is from a trailer which I had just towed 600miles on clean roads. Not only was the dust cap missing on both sides, but there was no inner seal on either side. These had obviously been missing for years during which the trailer was towed on Kentucky back roads.

The spindles were unharmed and the bearings were serviceable.
Of course I replaced the bearings and the dust covers and inner seals, but I decided to do so at home in the shop rather than on the road without any resultant incident....
Attached Thumbnails
Shelly#8 004.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #14

Registry
Newer 2000-2200# axles have 1-1/16th" spindles while older ones use 1".
This can present a problem when buying bearings, seals and dust caps. Even the 7" brakes have changed to the point of incompatibility.
The two dust cap sizes are 1.98" and 1.78" respectively.
This post is written without research and intended simply to point out that you must determine what you have, which is not always obvious, before buying parts .
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #15

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I just replaced the bearings on a 1975 ECO 13ft the axle is 1250# with 1" spindles. I Have both size dust caps to make sure I had the right one. The ECO is a 4 lug hub.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:

My racs are 1.98... darn thing nearly welded itself to my axle in NY. I lost the cover to it.... it measures 2.02 in diameter. I tried a Buddy thing at 1.98, and it fell off customer it was too small

I'm tearing it all apart and regreasing everything before my return trip home.

Heather
When I had a dust cover that just didn't want to stay on because it was always loose, I took pliers and slightly bent the outer edge outward, then used a rubber hammer to pound it back on...... no problems since.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #17

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Still the the cover of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" gives good advice..."DON'T PANIC"

When I retrieve a trailer, I carry a retrieval kit for nearly any exigency.
However, the picture below is from a trailer which I had just towed 600miles on clean roads. Not only was the dust cap missing on both sides, but there was no inner seal on either side. These had obviously been missing for years during which the trailer was towed on Kentucky back roads.

The spindles were unharmed and the bearings were serviceable.
Of course I replaced the bearings and the dust covers and inner seals, but I decided to do so at home in the shop rather than on the road without any resultant incident....
Floyd..... have you been spying on my Scamp! That is exactly my hub!

Well Advance Auto has gone the distance and found a 2in cover. We are going to givethat a try and then I'm doing the pipe covers!

Today I'm replacing the rac that has gotten dust exposed to it and repacking the other.

When I had the problem in NY... I noticed that getting the tire off is like wrestling Hulk Hogan! The tire opening doesn't seem to be too small. Anyone else notice this? I hate to cut some of the shell away...

Time to get greasy!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #18

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I have a china made utility trailer. Lost one dust cap a couple years ago. No one could find a proper sized dust cap(even measuring the one left). So-rubber drain pipe fitting, pvc pipe cap, and two hose clamps-has worked for 2 years so far. I do have to be careful when repacking the bearings as I can't get the inner seal either.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #19

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Here's a tip - if you can run a fingernail around a cup (or race, whatever) and feel any nicks, time to replace the cup (or race, whatever). I guess I'm just funny when it comes to wheel bearings and seals on trailers. I check them at least once a year, carry grease and tools with me, check the hubs for signs of heat every time I stop, and am just paranoid about it. I travel the thruway here everyday and see trailers pulled over all the time. I bet they're not camping!

NAPA has about every size dust cover ever made, plus complete bearing/seal kits for every axle you can imagine, and some ya can't!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Floyd..... have you been spying on my Scamp! That is exactly my hub!

Well Advance Auto has gone the distance and found a 2in cover. We are going to givethat a try and then I'm doing the pipe covers!

Today I'm replacing the rac that has gotten dust exposed to it and repacking the other.

When I had the problem in NY... I noticed that getting the tire off is like wrestling Hulk Hogan! The tire opening doesn't seem to be too small. Anyone else notice this? I hate to cut some of the shell away...

Time to get greasy!
Trimming the wheel well is really easy and an effective way to dress-up the appearance of some tired eggs.
I have seen them cut square like a '49 Mercury... the look is great and allows better access to the tire.
Most really old trailers came with 155s and later got 175s or 180s which makes changing the tire more difficult.

Tags
scamp