Wheel bearings: never done it before - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Wheel bearings: never done it before

I removed the outer wheel bearing. This metal blue-striped ring with a rubber interior, that is a seal right? Should I remove it and replace it with a new one? Is there an inner bearing beyond it? Boy have I got a lot to learn.

Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
To answer your questions, yes, yes and yes.
Go to U-Tube and view video's on how its done.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Yup, if your gonna clean it you have to remove it, if your gonna remove it you have to replace it. I did the same thing the first time, note the number on it and ordered one day shipping on Amazon. I've never gotten one of those out without it damaging, there supposed to be replaced each time, that's probably why.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
NAPA sell the proper double lipped seal and the seal is Made in the USA so it is not a cheap Chinese knock off.
The seals are inexpensive and trying to save the old seal does not make sense IMHO.
if the seal leaks you can end up with grease all over your brakes ,
which is a much more expensive repair plus leads to an unsafe condition.
Buy / install new seals .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
Yep, pack both inner and outer bearings and replace inner seals. Remember to resist the urge to over tighten the castle nut. When ever I find a hub getting hot i almost always find someone has over tightened it. You just want it to be snug so there is no slop in the hub and always use new cotter pins as once they have been bent and bent back they are now week and damaged. Always fun to play in the grease.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #6

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Many how to vids on line. Scamp web page as well
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look at the old grease to see if there are any shinny particles as that is one indication of wear. Look the bearings over really well to see if they all look good. If you notice something that looks worn or different from the rest, then you might want to put in new bearings. Grease: I like to use the Red grease and it can be purchased at auto parts stores either in a tube for a grease gun or a can for non grease can use.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:11 AM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Look at the old grease to see if there are any shinny particles as that is one indication of wear. Look the bearings over really well to see if they all look good. If you notice something that looks worn or different from the rest, then you might want to put in new bearings. Grease: I like to use the Red grease and it can be purchased at auto parts stores either in a tube for a grease gun or a can for non grease can use.
:as a old car guy you can buy a tool to help you grease your bearings, or use your hand but first remove it all and clean with paint thinners, turpentine, or what ever anyone else uses once clean do as the other fellow said check everything carefully, do not play with using the old seal, (to get the seal out easy turn it around and use long thin punch and hit the edge with a hammer it will pop out fairly easily by doing this though u might have to hit a bit on each side but it will come out this part u want to make sure you replace) if the bearing looks good then use the tool I told you about as Napa sells them to, or use your hand by placing the grease into the palm of your hand (messy job) now you take the bearing and U put it on a 45*angle and start by turning it into the grease and make sure the grease is being forced into it and when you see the grease working through then you know the system your using is working. Once all done then clean your hands with thinners to cut the grease and wash with soap and water. Now you put it all back together the way the other fellow told you and he is right don't tighten the nut just tighten firm with your hands and use the new cotter Pin.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:make sure the grease is being forced into it and when you see the grease working through then you know the system your using is working.
I think I got it right. Thanks for the details. The hardest part for me was seating the grease seal. I hope I didn't leave the crown nut too loose, but the hub doesn't wobble when I grasp the edges with both hands and try to move it in and out or side to side. I'm going to call this a success. Thanks friends.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
... and that red grease looks like the inside of a jelly donut. Can you imagine?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Brian.
The raceway on the inner bearing has a condition called "fretting". I've seen it on 6 sets of bearings I've removed from my Casita.
Glad to see I'm not alone but it can be bad. Here's one site with pictures.
Fretting | NSK

A good description.
Fretting Wear in Lubricated Systems

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote