Wheel on my Trailer Goes Thump Thump - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Wheel on my Trailer Goes Thump Thump

When I took my Parkliner in earlier this year to get new tires, I noticed a thump noise. Both before and after new tires I heard a thump.

I replaced the bearings today (old ones seemed OK) and was able to identify the left wheel as the source of the thump. When I had the wheel in the air, I spun it and heard thump thump on every rotation, with the 1st thump being louder than the 2nd.

I know it's not the tire and not the bearings. What else could be causing the problem?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
brakes ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
brakes ?
How would I determine if it is brakes or not?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
with that side of the trailer jacked up, take the wheel off, turn the brake rotor slowly, do you feel scraping at some part of the turn? trailer brakes need manual adjusting from time to time
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
When I took my Parkliner in earlier this year to get new tires, I noticed a thump noise. Both before and after new tires I heard a thump.

I replaced the bearings today (old ones seemed OK) and was able to identify the left wheel as the source of the thump. When I had the wheel in the air, I spun it and heard thump thump on every rotation, with the 1st thump being louder than the 2nd.

I know it's not the tire and not the bearings. What else could be causing the problem?
:have you pulled the Axel to see if is straight or flat on one side??
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:have you pulled the Axel to see if is straight or flat on one side??
Stude
How does one pull an axle to see if its straight?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
How does one pull an axle to see if its straight?
We had a bent axle on our Casita (Dexter). We were told that a bent axle can be confirmed with a laser but the problem was diagnosed based on tire wear and the fact that we had repaired damage from a fallen tree.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A bent axle manifests as uneven tire wear. Not the direction the OP needs to be looking to diagnose a rhythmic thumping.

Do we have an update on the brake situation?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A bent axle manifests as uneven tire wear. Not the direction the OP needs to be looking to diagnose a rhythmic thumping.

Do we have an update on the brake situation?
Not yet. I did find out the electric brakes are self-adjusting, so I don't think adjusting them will fix the problem.

There was still a sticker on the tire (new), so using the sticker as a marker I know that the thump thump happens at the same point every time.

My plan is just to remove the wheel again and hunt for clues. If I don't see anything I can fix, I will put it in the shop. The other wheel has a cross-threaded lug nut and stud, so those need to be replaced as well. I'm pretty sure the tire place guy is the one I can thank for that problem.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Not yet. I did find out the electric brakes are self-adjusting, so I don't think adjusting them will fix the problem.

There was still a sticker on the tire (new), so using the sticker as a marker I know that the thump thump happens at the same point every time.

My plan is just to remove the wheel again and hunt for clues. If I don't see anything I can fix, I will put it in the shop. The other wheel has a cross-threaded lug nut and stud, so those need to be replaced as well. I'm pretty sure the tire place guy is the one I can thank for that problem.
Can you put the other wheel or spare on that side and see if it persists? That could eliminate or identify the tire or wheel as the problem.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:

You are right, it can’t be the tire. Did you replace the race when you replaced the bearing?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #12

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
You are right, it can’t be the tire. Did you replace the race when you replaced the bearing?
Dave & Paula
No, the old ones appeared to be OK.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
The race could have a slight flat spot or other defect that you could not see, but?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Wheel on my Trailer Goes Thump Thump

Quote:
...The other wheel has a cross-threaded lug nut and stud, so those need to be replaced as well. I'm pretty sure the tire place guy is the one I can thank for that problem.
It happens. Tire work is entry-level employment for mechanics, along with oil changes. Tough job, and lots of pressure to hurry. I was sent out with no oil once. Caught it in time, no harm done thanks to synthetics (had oil tested at the next change). The young man, new on the job, was fired on the spot. I felt bad, though of course it was a serious mistake. Studs are no big deal.

I use Discount Tire (America’s Tire in some regions) for all my tire work. When they discovered a cross-threaded stud on a recent rotation, they arranged repair at another shop. Took an extra hour of my time, but minimal hassle and no cost to me.

If you don’t find something simple yourself, I’d want an experienced older mechanic to look at everything.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:

A few years ago I replaced the brakes on my Scamp with the self adjusting kind. They do self adjust, but you need to apply them while backing up. I use the brake controller to apply max voltage when doing that. The backwards rotation moves the shoes and the mechanism translates it into turning the adjustment ratchet.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #16

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;743532]It happens. Tire work is entry-level employment for mechanics, along with oil changes. Tough job, and lots of pressure to hurry. I was sent out with no oil once. Caught it in time, no harm done thanks to synthetics (had oil tested at the next change). The young man, new on the job, was fired on the spot. I felt bad, though of course it was a serious mistake. Studs are no big deal.

I use Discount Tire (America’s Tire in some regions) for all my tire work

I don't trust Discount Tire at all. They will sell you a "new" 4 year old tire, then in 6 years will not service it because it is now 10 years old and they dont work on 10 year old tires because thei technicians are not smart enough to distinguish a genuinely bad tire from a good one.
In my area, I use Les Shwaub as they will actually follow my instructions without any guff.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's what I would do about the "thump". I'd take the trailer to a utility trailer shop and have them help with the diagnosis.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
...I don't trust Discount Tire at all. They will sell you a "new" 4 year old tire, then in 6 years will not service it because it is now 10 years old and they dont work on 10 year old tires because thei technicians are not smart enough to distinguish a genuinely bad tire from a good one.
In my area, I use Les Shwaub as they will actually follow my instructions without any guff.
I'm sure customer experience varies by location, and I'm glad you have found a place that works for you.

The general manager at this Discount location is great to work with, and I have tried several other places in our small town. The ten-year policy is a non-issue for me. The only tires I have ever run past ten years were on my local-use utility trailer. Ran them until one blew out at 14 years and replaced both. If I ever really wanted to, there are other places I could go to fix a simple puncture on old tires.

I do ask to inspect new tires before they mount, something I would do no matter where I bought them. I've been offered new old stock tires a couple of times (but less than 2 years old, never 4 years). Both times I asked for and was given a discount that more than compensated for the potential loss of use. I would simply reject any that were older than I was willing to use. For me age really only matters on our trailer tires. We drive 20-25K miles a year on our other vehicles, so they'll be worn out long before they age out.

Just curious, though... how would you determine whether a 10 year old tire is safe?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #19

Virginia
Fixed. In the process I found cracks in the hub on the other wheel plus a couple of stripped studs and nuts.

A mechanic friend recommended I just replace everything. I ordered from e-trailer and got the hub with both races pre-installed, new studs installed with 5 lug nuts, inner and outer bearings, grease seal, grease cap, and locking washer and nut (I chose to re-use my washer, tang washer, and castle nut).

I got 2 (1 for each wheel) and it only took about an hour to pack the bearings and put everything back on. No more thump and good hubs and studs on both wheels.

Both sets cost about $145 total (free 2 day delivery), and when you take into account NAPA was going to charge me over $60 for just 2 sets of bearings, this was a good deal.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Smooth sailing, Huck! Thanks for the update.