When owners put down their worn out rigs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2024, 09:41 AM   #21

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Several years ago.....we were hunting in Eastern Washington....while hiking some hills....we came across two good size stick builts out in the middle of nowhere.....we reported them to the local game warden.......he knew about them....said they were abandoned meth labs.......said it was fairly common in some areas....unfortunate.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:51 PM   #22

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Dear hunting shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Several years ago.....we were hunting in Eastern Washington....while hiking some hills....we came across two good size stick builts out in the middle of nowhere.....we reported them to the local game warden.......he knew about them....said they were abandoned meth labs.......said it was fairly common in some areas....unfortunate.
In Wisconsin we often see ads that say "good deer hunting trailer" that is generally code for this should never be towed on the road again. The picture below is an Argosy that gets used ONE week end each year as a coffee / doughnut sales place for energy fair camping in central Wisconsin.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5673.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:10 AM   #23

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
In Wisconsin we often see ads that say "good deer hunting trailer" that is generally code for this should never be towed on the road again. The picture below is an Argosy that gets used ONE week end each year as a coffee / doughnut sales place for energy fair camping in central Wisconsin.
You're right.....those "good deer hunting trailers" should not be towed and....I would add....they often also stink to high heaven. Speaking from experience......deer hunters......after several days out in the woods without showers are ripe.....that stinky old socks smell...combined with others....are not very pleasant. That's why most deer camps have good whiskey.....it helps you fall asleep in those stinky trailers at night.....in the early morning.....you get the heck out ASAP!
Old 04-16-2024, 02:48 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Saw this locally last year. It’s a rare U-Haul VT16 shell. No frame, plexiglass on all the windows, and a piece of plywood for the door. It’s being used as a garden shed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3407.jpg  
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:24 PM   #25

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I'm like jerrybob, I see a lot of abandoned RVs/stickbuilt trailers. I''m not talking about the ones behind grama's house that has been there for years, with the blue tarps covering it worn away.

I'm talking about the ones dumped on rural roads, at remote boat launches, and as jerrybob said, some torched. In fact earlier this year I was on my way to the landfill and a guy in a big black Dodge Ram pulled out in front of me. He'd left not one but two RV's" a pull behind fifth wheel and a smaller Class C RV. I knew what he was doing...these yobs do this often in rural areas. I called the sheriff and they asked if there were plates on the rigs. I said yes, one was an Oregon plate and the other a WA, but I didn't get the numbers..I had to brake hard to keep from hitting mr Dodge Ram. The dispatch said they'd send 'someone out'. Well, the next day I was on the same road and the two vehicles had been torched...and the plates removed. I'm sure I caught the yob in the act.
The thing with abandoned and old RV's is they're not like abandoned and dumped cars. A car is relatively small, has tires,oil and gas, plastic everything, but not much else that can be considered Hazmat (yes, I worked in Hazmat). You pull the thing out of the weeds, take it to a junk yard or a pick and pull, and eventually it gets squished.
But an RV is nothing BUT hazmat. First, of course, are the black and gray tanks and when were they emptied? Were they?
YOu can't force an RV repair shop to even check the T valves, never mind service the black and gray tanks. I can't blame them.

You can't smash an RV, they're too big.
I think of all the RV's sitting in a patch of ivy, at least 80% of them are covered by tarps, meaning...they leak. And where there is enclosed space and water, there is mold and mildew.

And about a decade ago, when the tweakers were rampaging thorough WA state, they'd get into a RV and cook their meth. To this day some tweakers are doing that, cooking meth in trailers.

All that stuff is considered hazardous to one's health.

On the other hand, I've yet to see a truly abandoned fiberglass camper.

The only thing worse than an abandoned RV/stickbuilt is an abandoned, slowly sinking boat. They may be fiberglass but they're still a real PITA to dispose of. And I've seen boats in the middle of a Forest Service forest, dumped.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #26

Washington
Couldn't resist......

What does a redneck divorce and a burning meth lab have in common?

Someone's gonna lose a trailer!!!