Where are yours mounted??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
I was wondering if people could post pictures of where your carbon monoxide, propane, and smoke detectors are mounted in your trailers?

I'm trying to find the best places to mount these detectors in our 19' Scamp where they will work propely but not be easily damaged.

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

-Isaac
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Smoke on the ceiling, CO high on a wall, and propane near the floor; all are mounted on (or near) the bathroom wall between the bathroom and the fridge.

Unfortunately my trailer is off-site right now, so I can't just run out and post pics...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My Burro wouldn't match your trailer, so where I have stuff doesn't relate, but Rogers description covers it.

On the closet backside (Over the bed), I have smoke on top, CO about 3/4 the way up.

My Propane Det. is about 1" above the floor, on the frontside of the closet, just around the corner from the heatr.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Everything the others have stated is correct.

All the detectors come with instructions and you must read and follow them to the letter.

Propane is heaver than air and hugs the floor, smoke goes up towards the ceiling and there are some specific instructions on where the detector can be mounted on the wall and/or ceiling and CO seams to be everywhere.

All the detectors state to keep them away from a draft, a vent where air comes out, an open window, etc.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

My combination smoke/co detector is on the side ofv the closet above the bed, mounted high. I will be getting a propane detector for Christmas, it will be close to the floor (per the directions.)
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Thanks for your quick replies! I know I can always get the answers I need here.

-Isaac
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I installed both. Since CO is odorless, etc. I spent about $10 extra and got the CO detector with a digital readout and am glad I did.

It is very sensitive and will alarm when cooking in various locations in the trailer. Interestingly I found the least sensitive placement is next to the rear window above the bed where it would be sensing the air you would be breathing when asleep. The most sensitive location seems to be high on the bathroom wall nearest the front window which is where I have permanently mounted it. Your mileage may differ.

To prevent it from alarming when cooking, open the window above the stove and the top vent. I have a MaxAir fan which also helps. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is switched to blow in or blow out. But if you forget . . . . . SCREECH!!!!!

And I'm glad it does.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Here ya go! Cheers, Alec

Click image for larger version

Name:	1smoke.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5893
Attached Thumbnails