where did you find yours? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Craigslist 3 hours from home, 85 Casita, big dreams of remodeling it but then reality struck a few short weeks later when I found a 07 on Craigslist, which was a better fit for our camping needs. So off to Vegas to pick it up! Pretty stealth purchase because I found it basically on a weekend and couldn't get to Vegas to get it for almost a week. I spent days on pins and needles hoping no one would catch it and post it here on the referral forum. Well I made it to Vegas and back to CO that night it popped up on the referral forum! Old news as it was sold to me already!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #22

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I found my 13' Trillium about a block from my home. Had never noticed it's presence bf he put a for sale sign on it. Maybe he had stored it inside his shed.

Years later, when I decided I would like to try a 4500 Trillium, I saw one which had been moved to the front of a house with a for sale sign, just a few miles from my home. It too, had been stored inside the PO's garage, so I had not seen it before.

In both cases, I really had no idea what potential problems I should be looking for........it was bf I found this forum. I liked the looks of the trailer and bought them! A Higher Power was looking out for me and both units are/were in excellent shape. My daughter now has the 13' Trillium, so it's still in the family.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #23

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Kijiji bought it with lots of pics sent by the owner drove 36.5 hours round trip to be my 1971 Boler. Winnipeg, MB to Fernie, BC and back.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Found our Ventura through a friend. I told him I was looking for a Boler and he said his previous trailer was up for sale again at a good price for a fixer-upper! We headed out with his car and grabbed it out of an field for $800. Brought it home that day!

Donna, you are right, check out garage sales! Just bought my new to me tow vehicle at one yesterday! 2002 Ford F150 in good shape for $2400.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #25

Name: Diane
Trailer: 19' 2002 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Diane R.
We saw our U-Haul sitting at the end of a driveway on our way to church. We bought it a couple days later. It was meant to be!
Diane R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #26

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I found my EggCamper at the factory less than 50 miles from home.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Posted a note in the "trailers wanted" section of another forum; seller found me about 6 wks later. Day flight Portland OR to Denver to inspect and buy, had a flatbed bring it out over the rockies in January.
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp Custom Deluxe 19 ft 5th Wheel
Never know where they will turn up...a friend spotted this Burro and recognized the shape, etc. not the name......because it was misspelled in the ad and placed in the wrong section on the Craigslist site. There was a picture of the little molded fiberglass camper and someone knew someone who was looking.....etc. Spelling matters!
Please let us know if someone would like a little gem - selling the 13' Burro 1983. It is DRY and SOLID with a new floor just installed. The price was just lowered to $2700. It came from Maryland and was a hot mess.....Now a little sweet camper in Virgnia is ready to go. Trying to help sell this, it was listed on this site recently. Maureen
Maureen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Friend's mother used it to stay in when she worked out of town. Sat next to her barn for about 3 years, my friend mentioned that she wanted to sell it. Took about 3 months before I actually went and looked, just picked it up a couple weeks ago. I have seen them on CL and the local shopper, but never was looking to buy.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #30

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Ebay. I hovered over the auction the whole time and then swooped in at the end (yes, I'm one of those).
Tch, tch, tch. I did foil "one of those" when buying my Burro. I kept bidding in low increments until the last bid which was substantially higher, so when that person swooped in at the final second, expecting a lower bid increment, he/she lost.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
There are also services like auctionsniper.com they had 3 free snipes for signing up, took me about 2 years to actually use them up, but it was only cents for each additional snipe. Worked once or twice, and not a couple times. Seems to work best for items that are sitting with no bids at all right till the end.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #32

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Some day a genuine nice person and an awful sniper will both shoot the moon at the gun and someone will get burnt.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #33

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Local Nickle ads.
Two of us showed up at the same time. The other person had more money in their pocket then I did and wanted to up the price. The owner said nope, let's toss a coin. I WON and paid their asking price. I had never seen a fiberglass camper before. The now previous owners had traded up to a 16 ft Casita. Really nice young couple.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #34

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Was in the process of building a teardrop trailer when someone on the tnttt forum mentioned that her husband found an old Boler in a back yard, talked the owner into selling and wanted to restore it. I wondered how much those old trailers were worth, googled and found this site. Looked for Bolers, found a Scamp listing in Naytawash, MN, and on an impulse called the number. Turned out the trailer was at his son's house in Brainerd, MN, 80 miles from me.

Told the seller I would like to run it by the old ball-and-chain first. Went home, showed the webpage with pics to my husband who immediately responded with, "Well (insert blasphemy here), what's that thing you're building in the garage??!" I responded that I would purchase and use the Scamp while I completed the teardrop, then sell the Scamp when the teardrop was done. Checked with my banker the next day that I could indeed cash in some of my IRA's without penalty to pay for the Scamp. She thought it was a great investment that wouldn't lose value.

Called the seller back the next day, and he said that two other people had called after me, but since I was first caller, I got first look. Drove down after I closed up shop, saw the Scamp, which (with only minimal research on my part) looked to be in fine shape as it was stored inside most of its life, and said "I'll take it!" They were kind enough to accept my business check. I drove it the 80 miles to home where the old ball-and-chain was talking to No. 2 Son on the phone. He said, "Your mother went and bought a trailer!"

I've decided to keep it even when I finish the teardrop.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #35

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
In 2011 I built a teardrop trailer sized gypsy vardo, and towed it about 3900 miles in 2012...had a blast camping in it. My mom asked when I was gonna go larger. I did give it some thought to building a standup sized vardo but when my boat got totalled from Huracaine Sandy I blew the insurance settlement on my ParkLiner. I decided fiberglass was the way to go since I was familiar with it from my boating years, and I wanted to be able to come home on sunday clean, not stinky lol. I love being able to standup inside and make my pot of coffee before heading outside. I just need to add a lightweight curtain to the screen door to cut out the free show in the morning lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #36

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Took a ferry from Vancouver Island to the mainland in the interior to pick up my Bigfoot and took a day to get there and another to get back...now after spending the winter restoring it, will probably sell it in the fall.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #37

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
I checked craigslist 3 times a day. Was hoping for an under 300 mile drive and finally found mine an hour south of Orlando. Fibreglass and Airstreams are the most scammed campers out there, and while they may have been legit, I refused to send any money till I saw it for myself and talked with the individual on the phone, and not emailing only.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #38

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Found my VT sitting along the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. I was inspecting a water line project about 120 miles away. Had no idea UHaul made them. Owner thought it was a 13' model and priced it accordingly,I didn't know any better.
Took pictures ,wife agreed,called and offered him what he asked and just beat out another buyer. Serendipity.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #39

Name: WILL
Trailer: Small trailer
New York
RV Campsites usually have sale ads. Also, these are good sites to check:
Ebay, RVtrader, rvt.com, camping world, generalRV
There is a good guide on buying campers on Best Small Campers Blog
Good Luck!
endlesstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #40

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Ours were both born at the Scamp factory.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote