Where do I buy Melamine Paint???????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Where do I buy Melamine Paint????????

OK, I must be having a brain hiccup, but I've asked Lowe's and Menard's, and they looked at me like I was crazy. I've google Melamine Paint, found plenty of articles on how to apply it, but can't find where to buy it! (oh, I did find it in England.)

What's the deal? Is it called something else? Is it top secrect?

Any help would be appreciated.

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We bought ours at a local PAINT supply store, could be that where you're looking doesn't stock that item??
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
I did find it in England.
What's the deal?
The only people I am aware of that regularly talk about Melamine Paint are our Canadian friends; I'm not sure it available in the U S of A...
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
OK, I must be having a brain hiccup, but I've asked Lowe's and Menard's, and they looked at me like I was crazy. I've google Melamine Paint, found plenty of articles on how to apply it, but can't find where to buy it! (oh, I did find it in England.)

What's the deal? Is it called something else? Is it top secrect?

Any help would be appreciated.

Vickie
I'm pretty sure that "melamine" is a (regional?) generic term for surfaces such as Formica that contain the melamine resin.
As for painting it, here's a suggestion:
This primer eliminates the necessity to buy specialty paints, as it adheres to virtually ANY surface, including Formica, fiberglass, plastic, and metal.
You can topcoat with any paint you choose.

Good luck!

Francesca
Attached Images

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #5

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
As a cabinet maker the only Melamine we use is a hard plastic overlay on MDF or particle board used in cabinet construction. What are you painting? If there is a melamine paint that has the same characteristics as what I am familiar with it will be brittle so will not be a good choice for something that flexes.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Registry
Hi Reid---

I've poured over all the posts on here comparing the types of paint people have used to paint the molded fiberglass cabinets in the camper. Many had used Melamine paint and were quite happy with the results, even years later. So, I thought I'd give it a go---but can't find it.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Vickie,
I have a friend who is a fiberglass boat builder and he uses a marine enamel. Oil based, not latex. Make sure the surface has no oils or grease, sand lightly so you have a mechanical bond (150 to 220 grit) prime with a primer compatible with your chosen paint, lightly sand again(220 or finer) and wipe or vacuum any sanding dust and put on a couple of coats of enamel. Most house paint stores will have an enamel that is oil based and rated as marine paint. It typically is full gloss and being solvent based be sure to have as much ventilation as possible.. You should ask your supplier about a flow out agent such as Flowtrol or the likes to minimize brush marks. It will be very slow drying ( 12 hour minimum between coats)so temperature is important as is a dust free environment. One part urethane and epoxy paints are also options but are much more toxic , expensive and can be difficult to brush or roll. I can't be emphatic enough to recommend getting a good brush for final coats-you will see the difference in the final finish.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Vickie, do you have a local Benjamine Moore paint store? Benjamin Moore carries it: Melamine 303 Low-luster Enamel This is the Canadian store, but perhaps Benjamin Moore USA could provide you more info.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #9

Registry
Guess I'll have to go to the boat store and get fixed up with something.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
melamine paint is EXCELLENT paint and i have it on my kitchen cupboards. however, it does smell strongly so when (and if!)you find it, make sure to have good ventilation when using it....and although i cannot speak to finding it in the US, it is readily available at any paint dealer...or home improvement store. good luck
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #11

Registry
You lucky neighbors to the north!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
melamine paint is EXCELLENT paint and i have it on my kitchen cupboards. however, it does smell strongly so when (and if!)you find it, make sure to have good ventilation when using it....and although i cannot speak to finding it in the US, it is readily available at any paint dealer...or home improvement store. good luck
It may be that melamine paint is harder to find in the U.S. due to its containing formaldehyde, which is probably what you're smelling while it outgasses as it goes on, dries, and cures.
Having done quite a bit of painting, including with automotive and marine paints, I'm not afraid to use these kinds of V.O.S containing paints if required by the project at hand. I have the equipment to do so AND avoid the fumes. Given advances in less volatile primers such as the one I suggested above, I wouldn't use high V.O.S. paint in any interior space, perhaps excepting a boat. However, if one's determined to use any of them in the interior of a trailer, please follow the advice given earlier in this thread, and wear a respirator designed for use with strong solvents. Have lots of additional ventilation, and leave the trailer open to the air until the paint smell disappears, a signal that the paint solvents have finished outgassing.

Francesca
Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #13

Registry
Francesca,

Thanks for all the info. So if I use that primer, what kind of paint would you suggest over it. I want something shiny like the fiberglass.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #14

Did you not see the information I posted about contacting Benjamin Moore?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #15

Registry
Opps, sorry Donna, I was busy ripping out pipes that shouldn't be (ripped out!)

That sounds promising-----says it's for indoors, etc. Do you think "low-luster" means it's NOT shiny?

I'll call a Benjamin Moore dealer tomorrow.

Thanks! (Sure wish my cabinets didn't need to be painted!) Hey--anybody out there know how to fill holes (screws, nails, etc.) and touch up--so it looks nice without having to paint everything?????
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #16

I've never used Melamine paint Vickie. I was just trying to help you find a dealer of the paint in the USA. It's possible your local Benjamin Moore dealer can either order the kind/gloss out of Canada or tell you precisely the USA-based name for the paint at their stores.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
I was just at Lowes - where they've started asking for your phone number with every transaction - and saw this Rustoleum cabinet - countertop refinish system.
Not sure about it's viability on fiberglass but the countertop samples looked pretty good for a paint on system
Rust-Oleum's Cabinet and Countertop Transformations™ - A Revolutionary Kitchen Transformation System
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #18

Registry
Donna, I was just being silly about my embarrassing pipe fiasco! I appreciate your finding that lead for me!

Peter, they tried to show me that, too! Maybe I should go back and look at it!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
It looked good - but then the displays always look good. When I try to do Faux Finishes or things like that I usually end up looking like a deranged 4 year old covered in paint.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Francesca,

Thanks for all the info. So if I use that primer, what kind of paint would you suggest over it. I want something shiny like the fiberglass.

Thanks!
Vickie,

The beauty of these primers is that you can topcoat them with almost ANY paint except those with solvents that may lift the primer. When properly applied, they strongly adhere to the project surface, and provide a base coat that will hold your paint like glue. My paint preference is acrylic latex (easy to work with), and any paint store can mix you the color you want in your choice of gloss.
I actually found out about this one by asking at True Value if there was any paint that could be used on laminated cupboards in one of our rentals. They introduced me to this primer, and the repainted cupboards have stood up through several sets of tenants.
As I recall, I spent more on the primer than the paint, but since the success of a paint project is critically dependent on surface preparation, it was money well spent. Do also keep in mind that most paints need at least a week of cure time before they achieve maximum strength, and your repainted surfaces will wear very well. Unless you're painting tire treads...see below. Friction will overcome!
I only wish somebody had clued me in to the whole primer-for-plastic thing before I spent big bucks on "special plastic paint" for this locally famous "Turn The Pink Barbie Jeep Into A Green Ranger Jeep" project.

Good Luck!

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
003.jpg   005.jpg  

Tags
paint