where do you put the stinky slinky? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
ok... my 15 ft stinky slinky doesnt fit in the cylinder and i have been trying to '
stuff' it in a bucket and it really doesnt fit good enough to put down the lid... soooo
where do you people put it?? some have made a tube thing on their bumper but I dont think i have enough room.. with the spare tire and the stable jacks. anything else I could 'stuff it" into??
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Since I don't have a 5er this may not apply, but I have mine in a battery box on the tongue. It and a couple of fittings. Still waiting for someone to try to steal the battery and get a bit of a surprise, since the batteries are inside.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The problem is you've got a sewer hose that doesn't compress. A 15' RhinoFlex hose compresses to 45", small enough to fit in the stinky slinky tube on the front of the Scamp. You'll just need to get a bucket or garbage can to transport it until it wears out.... then buy one that compresses.....
RhinoFLEX 15' Sewer Hose - Camping World
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
At a FG Camper rally last fall I saw a 'stinky slinky' container made from square PVC tubing from Home Depot. The square 4" tubing is big enough so that end fittings and all fit into it. The one I saw was attached to the rear bumper of a Scamp (it was full width) and had nice enough end caps. I think the stuff comes in 8 foot lengths. It's sold as a plastic cover for 4x4 fence posts, mail box posts, etc.

Hey what do you know, I actually took a picture and could still find it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00321a.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	13583

Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thanks for the picture Capt Ron... i will look into that also but have no clue how to attach it...... the slinky i have now is fine but doesnt fold up to fit the sleeve.. but i might get one of those that donna suggested...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Christi, nobody says you've got to keep the stinky slinky mounted on the trailer. One of our members has a Scamp 5th wheel and the tube was in the way when the trailer was towed. He puts the stinky slinky in a tube in the back of the truck. Something that may work for you as well if you get a bigger "tube."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Instead of expensive PVC, look at black drain field pipe in Lowers or Home Despot.

Besides less $$, it has plenty of drain and vent holes and can be tie-wrapped to back of black back bumper with black cable ties.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Instead of expensive PVC, look at black drain field pipe in Lowers or Home Despot.

Besides less $$, it has plenty of drain and vent holes and can be tie-wrapped to back of black back bumper with black cable ties.

Pete, my hat is off to you. You are a resource of many great budget minded ideas.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My Escape is a bit different but I used damaged 5x5 fence post and bolted it onto the rear the bumper. The fence post comes in large pallets and apparently a few get broken as the pallets are moved and stacked. The hardware store owner was happy to sell me a broken one for a couple dollars. Here is a link to my installation.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry192354

Best of luck
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Slinky Stinky tube locations

I have a Scamp on order. I asked if the SS tube could be relocated under the tongue or under the back bumper, even though I do have the bike receiver as an option. The simple answer is no, it can only go above the propane or not be installed. Also, they said it will hold a 20ft hose yet I believe it comes with a 10ft. Any good places, instructions on relocating it and will 10ft be enough? Will I need any type of coupler once I'm at the campground? Thank you!!
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I took the SS tube off of mine after 6 years of not liking the look of it or using it due to its small size. I couldn't fit a 20' hose in the one on mine but they do come in different sizes so perhaps the one they are putting on their trailers now is bigger than what was put on in the 90s.

Lots of people have put on other types of holders. Some such as myself used a large PVC pipe with screw on end caps and attached it under the tongue close to the trailer. Mine is wide enough that it also holds all the hose end fittings. Many others have used the 5' Square PVC fence post and caps and put them at the rear - I have tried to purchase such an item here on the west coast with no luck but I understand they can be found in the South East or ordered into Home Depot. If you use the search function on this site and use the bottom Google option you should come up with lots of examples of what people have done.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
H
I have found a 15' hose works best for me on Scamps. At the dump site it will reach both outlets without having to move the trailer. A good quality 15' hose (like a Rhino) will not the front tube. I use the 5" fence post. It takes a 60" post to hold a 15" Rhino hose and it will also hold the cone. I paint them black and mount them right behind the gray water tanks. The end of the post comes out right beside your rear discharge fitting which is nice. One note, with a shower drain the fitting is on the rear of the gray water tank and your post has to be mounted a few inches further back. I have not seen the Scamp hitch hardware and don't know how much room it takes up from the rear bumper.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #13

Alabama
Thank you guys for the heads up. Eddie, do you have end caps on your 5ft long 5" fence post? I'm thinking ill need to mount it under the tongue like Carol did. I am familiar with that fence post and, if not mistaken, it would be thinner and thus lighter than PVC. Being new to all this, I'm not sure what "fitting" my hose will come with. Will I need to purchase additional fittings to make my life easier? I'm assuming I will to help make the connection easier.i did use the search function Carol and for some reason could not find any info nor pictures. Ill try Google.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #14

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Dumbleton View Post

Pete, being new to all this and with a 13ft Scamp on the way, I am going to ask them not to install the tube on the front. I was going to explore the 5" fence post but I have used this field pipe for my gutter drains. My question is do you put any end caps on or leave them open?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
I've got one of those clear "elbowed" sewer fasteners at one end of the slinky and a form fit on the other so I can't use a modified 5" fence post. I put my sewer hose in a 5 gallon plastic pail with a lid on it and carry it in the bathroom until I get to my camp site. I carry an extension hose in my round PVC holder.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I use the 5 inch fence post. The elbow fits inside and the "thing" that screws into the ground connection also fits. I put a 1/4 inch bolt through each end to hold things in and allow air to circulate. The holes I drilled for the bolt are a bit tight and I also put a wingnut on each bolt. The fence post is attached to the trailer bumper with 4 long hose clamps. Well, 8 actually fastened together to make them long enough to go around the fence post and the bumper. Cheap, simple, and works out very well.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's my solution,the bumper adds some protection as well as storage....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0012.JPG   DSCF0015.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #18

Alabama
I have the bike hitch Floyd so I'm not sure I can do this. I read where someone installed the tube farther under the trailer and ended up cracking the storage tank....hence, my thought of installing it under the front tongue.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #19

Alabama
Sounds good Bob and I was thinking about doing the same thing by using the hose clamps. Are you using the metal ones you screw tight? I think someone used zip ties too but I'm not sure how long they are. Hopefully the hitch won't prevent me from putting it on the bumper.

Floyd, did you use kiltz prior to painting it black or use plastic spray paint?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mine is large round PCV drainage pipe with screw on caps at the ends and its located under the battery at the front on the Scamp, close to the house. It takes a 15' hose and elbow no problem. Its attached with hose clamps. Been on the trailer at least 7 years and I do travel on rough gravel back roads from time to time and clearance hasn't been an issue with it located there.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote