Where is the VIN? 1978 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Where is the VIN? 1978 Boler

Hey! I just got a 1978 Boler and it was from out of state. I need to get a VIN inspection done before I can transfer the title...

Does anyone know where I can find the VIN number on this thing?
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Hey! I just got a 1978 Boler and it was from out of state. I need to get a VIN inspection done before I can transfer the title...

1978 1700 RGW Boler

Some have found it on the frame near the axle on door side or on front tongue. We did not have this on our Boler; the ID inside the closet door was for manufacture info from Earlton Boler Works but the foil like Earton sticker on the outside matched the ownership's Ontario VIN of our trailer. It is very hard to read any the faded info that is not typed on the sticker, in the right light on an angle it can be made out though.

The info on the closet door included items not installed in our trailer and empty weight was out. The actual weight at scales was only 1760 lbs empty ownership gives weight that matched this, was told this can very due to the fiberglass layup and items installed when the trailer was built. The max weight on the government registration sticker on outside is 3000 lbs; think the original tires had a 3000 lbs limit. We have added a little weight with our renovations. Not sure the current weight of our trailer. Very easy on gas with our setup.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
1978 1700 RGW Boler

Some have found it on the frame near the axle on door side or on front tongue. We did not have this on our Boler; the ID inside the closet door was for manufacture info from Earlton Boler Works but the foil like Earton sticker on the outside matched the ownership's Ontario VIN of our trailer. It is very hard to read any the faded info that is not typed on the sticker, in the right light on an angle it can be made out though.

The info on the closet door included items not installed in our trailer and empty weight was out. The actual weight at scales was only 1760 lbs empty ownership gives weight that matched this, was told this can very due to the fiberglass layup and items installed when the trailer was built. The max weight on the government registration sticker on outside is 3000 lbs; think the original tires had a 3000 lbs limit. We have added a little weight with our renovations. Not sure the current weight of our trailer. Very easy on gas with our setup.

Hope this helps.
Our '79 1700 RGB Boler had the VIN plate to the right of the door as well on the manufacturers sticker inside the closet. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_141154.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	128352
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:

Once you find the VIN #, I would recommend going to an engraving shop a have a vin nimber plate made up. Then rivet it to the trailer at a location of your choice.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Once you find the VIN #, I would recommend going to an engraving shop a have a vin nimber plate made up. Then rivet it to the trailer at a location of your choice.
Thanks everyone.

I’ve sanded down the tongue already and still can’t find the VIN anywhere. There are absolutely no stickers or plates left on the inside or outside of the trailer. I have the VIN number because it’s on the purchase paperwork/title, but still can’t get the title in my name until the emissions place can actually SEE the VIN on the vehicle. They recommended going to a state patrol office and having a new VIN put on.

Since I already know what the VIN is supposed to be, do you think I could just have a plate made and attach it myself rather than going through the state patrol office and having to get the lights tested? The problem is, I don’t actually have a hitch yet and my friends hitch doesn’t have power running to the back. The light DO actually all work though. I’m trying to get the repairs made, or sell it, before I unnecessarily put a hitch on my own vehicle.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #6

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I think it all depends on what your states laws require. Could you maybe get a temporary permit just to get it home?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Since I already know what the VIN is supposed to be, do you think I could just have a plate made and attach it myself rather than going through the state patrol office and having to get the lights tested?
Just get a stamp kit from HF and stamp the numbers on the frame...easy fix and takes the middle man out.

Don't know the rules in your state but I had the CHP stop by my house and to the inspection and fill out the paperwork as I'm 100 miles from a DMV. Was able to just send the paperwork in the mail.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #8

Colorado
Colorado...where do I find the laws for that?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Just get a stamp kit from HF and stamp the numbers on the frame...easy fix and takes the middle man out.

Don't know the rules in your state but I had the CHP stop by my house and to the inspection and fill out the paperwork as I'm 100 miles from a DMV. Was able to just send the paperwork in the mail.
What is HF and CHP? Sorry, I’m new to all of this. I’m in Colorado, where do I find the rules/laws?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #10

California
Sorry, Harbor Freight & California Hwy Patrol. On site inspections like this, is part of the CHP or Sheriffs side jobs...at least in CA.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:32 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Can you get a "Transport Plate"?
That is what we call them in Maine and you just need the sales slip and the route you intend to take the trailer and the plate is good for like 14 days.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 AM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Can you get a "Transport Plate"?
That is what we call them in Maine and you just need the sales slip and the route you intend to take the trailer and the plate is good for like 14 days.
I’m not looking to transport it anywhere. I’m looking to get the title in my name, then sell it. I know what the VIN is because it’s on the paperwork, but need to get the tongue/axle restamped because I can’t find it on the trailer anywhere. Where do I find Colorado laws about restamping? Can I do it myself?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
I think it all depends on what your states laws require. Could you maybe get a temporary permit just to get it home?
I’m in Colorado. Can you point me to the laws about restamping a trailer with the VIN? I know what the VIN is because it’s on the paperwork, but can’t find it on the trailer anywhere at the moment. I would like to restamp it myself, get the VIN inspection and finally be able to transfer the title in my name...otherwise, it’s just become the most expensive accidental/impulsive purchase I’ve ever made.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #14

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Sorry, Harbor Freight & California Hwy Patrol. On site inspections like this, is part of the CHP or Sheriffs side jobs...at least in CA.
Am I legally allowed to stamp it myself? I just want to make sure no one will think I’m doing something wrong, even though I’m not really doing anything wrong...do you know what I mean? I guess I’m asking if it matters that it won’t be the original stamp, but it will be the original VIN number...? If that’s the fix, I already know someone with a stamp kit and it will eliminate a lot of hassle and stress from this process. The hardest part about this new thing is just getting the title in my name because of these hoops and I’m fairly annoyed already. I just want to get it done now and resell it.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
What is HF and CHP? Sorry, I’m new to all of this. I’m in Colorado, where do I find the rules/laws?
https://www.colorado.gov/dmv

Or call or go by the DMV office. Get names of anyone advising you. Stamping yourself is likely not allowed but unlikely to be discovered except by self-admission.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #16

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Have you tried google? There are quite a few sites including how to register a home built. Google is a great resource.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Have you tried google? There are quite a few sites including how to register a home built. Google is a great resource.
Its not a home built. It has a VIN already, just maybe not on the trailer anymore (if it was only on a plate).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #18

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Yes I understand it's not a home built, but the information on how to register a home built might be somewhat relevant to you reregistering your trailer.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Am I legally allowed to stamp it myself? I just want to make sure no one will think I’m doing something wrong, even though I’m not really doing anything wrong...do you know what I mean? I guess I’m asking if it matters that it won’t be the original stamp, but it will be the original VIN number...? If that’s the fix, I already know someone with a stamp kit and it will eliminate a lot of hassle and stress from this process. The hardest part about this new thing is just getting the title in my name because of these hoops and I’m fairly annoyed already. I just want to get it done now and resell it.
Z, you're not putting on a fake VIN like someone possibly would on a stolen trailer, you have the paperwork to back it up. Over the years a lot of frames are "modified/replaced" and the factory stamped numbers gone. I've stamped the numbers on the frame as the data plates were almost unreadable and never had a "legality" problem from the powers that be, they're only looking for matching numbers, not who put them there. You're stressing out over a 5 minute fix.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
CHP? Chips? There was a whole series on TV about the California Highway Patrol! I think some of the actors even got lunchboxes with their faces on them.
Eric Estrada, for example?

"K"

Tags
boler, vin