Where is the VIN? 1978 Boler - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Posts: 7
Where is the VIN? 1978 Boler

Hey! I just got a 1978 Boler and it was from out of state. I need to get a VIN inspection done before I can transfer the title...

Does anyone know where I can find the VIN number on this thing?
__________________

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Hey! I just got a 1978 Boler and it was from out of state. I need to get a VIN inspection done before I can transfer the title...

Does anyone know where I can find the VIN number on this thing?
1978 1700 RGW Boler

Some have found it on the frame near the axle on door side or on front tongue. We did not have this on our Boler; the ID inside the closet door was for manufacture info from Earlton Boler Works but the foil like Earton sticker on the outside matched the ownership's Ontario VIN of our trailer. It is very hard to read any the faded info that is not typed on the sticker, in the right light on an angle it can be made out though.

The info on the closet door included items not installed in our trailer and empty weight was out. The actual weight at scales was only 1760 lbs empty ownership gives weight that matched this, was told this can very due to the fiberglass layup and items installed when the trailer was built. The max weight on the government registration sticker on outside is 3000 lbs; think the original tires had a 3000 lbs limit. We have added a little weight with our renovations. Not sure the current weight of our trailer. Very easy on gas with our setup.

Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ststefan's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Posts: 328
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
1978 1700 RGW Boler

Some have found it on the frame near the axle on door side or on front tongue. We did not have this on our Boler; the ID inside the closet door was for manufacture info from Earlton Boler Works but the foil like Earton sticker on the outside matched the ownership's Ontario VIN of our trailer. It is very hard to read any the faded info that is not typed on the sticker, in the right light on an angle it can be made out though.

The info on the closet door included items not installed in our trailer and empty weight was out. The actual weight at scales was only 1760 lbs empty ownership gives weight that matched this, was told this can very due to the fiberglass layup and items installed when the trailer was built. The max weight on the government registration sticker on outside is 3000 lbs; think the original tires had a 3000 lbs limit. We have added a little weight with our renovations. Not sure the current weight of our trailer. Very easy on gas with our setup.

Hope this helps.
Our '79 1700 RGB Boler had the VIN plate to the right of the door as well on the manufacturers sticker inside the closet. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_141154.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	128352
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ststefan's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Posts: 328
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Hey! I just got a 1978 Boler and it was from out of state. I need to get a VIN inspection done before I can transfer the title...

Does anyone know where I can find the VIN number on this thing?
Once you find the VIN #, I would recommend going to an engraving shop a have a vin nimber plate made up. Then rivet it to the trailer at a location of your choice.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Once you find the VIN #, I would recommend going to an engraving shop a have a vin nimber plate made up. Then rivet it to the trailer at a location of your choice.
Thanks everyone.

I’ve sanded down the tongue already and still can’t find the VIN anywhere. There are absolutely no stickers or plates left on the inside or outside of the trailer. I have the VIN number because it’s on the purchase paperwork/title, but still can’t get the title in my name until the emissions place can actually SEE the VIN on the vehicle. They recommended going to a state patrol office and having a new VIN put on.

Since I already know what the VIN is supposed to be, do you think I could just have a plate made and attach it myself rather than going through the state patrol office and having to get the lights tested? The problem is, I don’t actually have a hitch yet and my friends hitch doesn’t have power running to the back. The light DO actually all work though. I’m trying to get the repairs made, or sell it, before I unnecessarily put a hitch on my own vehicle.
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ststefan's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Posts: 328
Registry
I think it all depends on what your states laws require. Could you maybe get a temporary permit just to get it home?
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Since I already know what the VIN is supposed to be, do you think I could just have a plate made and attach it myself rather than going through the state patrol office and having to get the lights tested?
Just get a stamp kit from HF and stamp the numbers on the frame...easy fix and takes the middle man out.

Don't know the rules in your state but I had the CHP stop by my house and to the inspection and fill out the paperwork as I'm 100 miles from a DMV. Was able to just send the paperwork in the mail.
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Posts: 7
Colorado...where do I find the laws for that?
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Just get a stamp kit from HF and stamp the numbers on the frame...easy fix and takes the middle man out.

Don't know the rules in your state but I had the CHP stop by my house and to the inspection and fill out the paperwork as I'm 100 miles from a DMV. Was able to just send the paperwork in the mail.
What is HF and CHP? Sorry, I’m new to all of this. I’m in Colorado, where do I find the rules/laws?
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 3,681
Sorry, Harbor Freight & California Hwy Patrol. On site inspections like this, is part of the CHP or Sheriffs side jobs...at least in CA.
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Posts: 1,571
Can you get a "Transport Plate"?
That is what we call them in Maine and you just need the sales slip and the route you intend to take the trailer and the plate is good for like 14 days.
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Can you get a "Transport Plate"?
That is what we call them in Maine and you just need the sales slip and the route you intend to take the trailer and the plate is good for like 14 days.
I’m not looking to transport it anywhere. I’m looking to get the title in my name, then sell it. I know what the VIN is because it’s on the paperwork, but need to get the tongue/axle restamped because I can’t find it on the trailer anywhere. Where do I find Colorado laws about restamping? Can I do it myself?
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I think it all depends on what your states laws require. Could you maybe get a temporary permit just to get it home?
I’m in Colorado. Can you point me to the laws about restamping a trailer with the VIN? I know what the VIN is because it’s on the paperwork, but can’t find it on the trailer anywhere at the moment. I would like to restamp it myself, get the VIN inspection and finally be able to transfer the title in my name...otherwise, it’s just become the most expensive accidental/impulsive purchase I’ve ever made.
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Colorado
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Sorry, Harbor Freight & California Hwy Patrol. On site inspections like this, is part of the CHP or Sheriffs side jobs...at least in CA.
Am I legally allowed to stamp it myself? I just want to make sure no one will think I’m doing something wrong, even though I’m not really doing anything wrong...do you know what I mean? I guess I’m asking if it matters that it won’t be the original stamp, but it will be the original VIN number...? If that’s the fix, I already know someone with a stamp kit and it will eliminate a lot of hassle and stress from this process. The hardest part about this new thing is just getting the title in my name because of these hoops and I’m fairly annoyed already. I just want to get it done now and resell it.
__________________

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boler, vin


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<FOUND>Help locate a VIN numbrt on 77 boler D Kovetsky Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 06-13-2016 09:56 AM
Vin #20 Flat Top Boler for Sale in BC $3500 Carol H Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 10-27-2013 12:07 PM
Boler vin ohmydog2dee Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 15 08-13-2013 02:00 AM
Boler VIN Questions JCusick Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-19-2011 05:17 PM
? VIN location 72 Boler American Roy in TO Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 05-11-2006 07:46 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.