where to find material for compact jr. roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a 1972 Compact Jr. Do anyone know where to find the material to replaced the fabric between the roof and the body.

Thanks in advance.
dyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Welcom Dyee,

I had my upper canvas replaces at a company called Stark Mfg. They are in Chula Vista, Ca. 619-407-6224 near San Diego. I took the old one in and had it remade. I had them double up the screens and leave off the plastic with velcro overlay. If it is too cold I just pop down the top.

We have had a run of new Hunter/Compact owners in the last month. 3 or 4 new ones.

We love pictures, see mine under "Show us your rigs"

Good luck,
Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
Thanks Linda, I will give them a call.
btw, where do I find "Show us your rig"

Thanks,
Dyee
dyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Dyee,
If you have the old one, take it to any local auto upholstery shop and ask for a quote. The vinyl work is not very different from a Jeep top and most can handle it with ease. I found a small shop that did mine for $160.

Tom Trostel
Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Tom, is the top actually canvas? Would it be possible to use the Sunbrella material? If we ever have to put new canvas on the VW Westfalia, I am thinking of using the Sunbrella material.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Tom and Linda: how much light do you get through the pop-up? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of replacing the canvas with all-screen for warm weather and then using Tom's Reflectix panels for hot or cold weather, but I wonder how much light I'll be cutting out.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
We have had a run of new Hunter/Compact owners in the last month. 3 or 4 new ones.
We should start planning a pop-top get-together for the fall, preferably somewhere like the coast between SF and LA somewhere (equidistant for all or at least most.) It would really be great to be able to share ideas and see each other's trailers. (I won't be back to California with mine until after August 20.)

Open to uncracked eggs, too, of course!

Bobbie
Old 04-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Dyee, Look under General Chat at the top. I get plenty of light through mine.

Bobbie-I like your idea of a "Cracked Egg Rally".
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My old top was original and between the fogging of the clear vinyl "windows" and the screen material behind it turning brown, there was not a lot of light coming through. My new top has very clear vinyl and no screening, so light may be a problem. There is no canvas in the top. Cracked egg rally idea sounds great, but for us a second trip to the west coast this year would be too much.

Tom Trostel
Old 04-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I'm curious to hear more about folks experiences replacing their tops, as I KNOW I'm going to have to do it to my rig eventually. I'm leaning towards going original with mine, with the vinyl windows that you can open and close with the velcro, for the convenience of airflow and all. I like the idea of windows that you can open, without compromising any privacy in the living area, or having curtains flapping in the wind or anything...
And a cracked egg rally on the coast huh? Or are we thinking a Hunter Industries/Sister knock offs only rally? So we'd see all of us various Hunter products, as well as TrailsWest, and any other incarnation of our boxy body style/mold? Sounds darn INTERESTING to me! Especially since I live on the central coast, between LA & SF. Always nice to have a trip close to home, and there are TONS of great campgrounds along the coast here to choose from! YAY!
I honestly do think we Hunter-type owners need to stick together, sharing maintenance & repair info & such, as our little rigs are SO rare, and just different enough from the many egg incarnations that our problems aren't always quite the same as theirs, so HALLEELUJA for FBRV bringing us all together, huh? YAY!! hehe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
And a cracked egg rally on the coast huh? Or are we thinking a Hunter Industries/Sister knock offs only rally? So we'd see all of us various Hunter products, as well as TrailsWest, and any other incarnation of our boxy body style/mold?
Well, we wouldn't want to keep out any uncracked eggs that want to come, I'm sure there are others who'd be interested in these trailers and also just in any camping trip that comes along! so we'd make it open to everybody, but try to get a concentration of cracked eggs.

Bobbie