Where to put it? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Where to put it?

OK, we are working on plans for improvement of our '78 Trillium 4500, Trill' Of A Lifetime (TROAL for short). Next spring we want to paint the interior and exterior, but first we have some interior work to do. The biggest issue is storage - where to put our clothes and toiletries while we are camping.

Our trailer does NOT have a toilet, just simple rear table/bed arrangement that we pretty much always leave set up as a bed. Sink, stove, fridge, and forward bench seat area.

We removed the heater to get more storage, but it's great for pots & stuff, but not clothes.

Right now we keep clothes in plastic buckets or duffel bags on the front bench seat, but these just get in the way, and there is no place to sit.

There was a small storage area above the front bench seat when we first bought the trailer, but it was ugly as sin so it was the first thing to go. I have seen where others have built similar storage areas above the bed/table area, but I would like more information about how they accomplished this. Can anyone help?

In my old boat I had luggage nets above the berths that I used for this purpose, but I don't want to use these in this trailer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We also have a Trillium 4500, same layout that you have. Generally, DW stores her clothes in the closet (I added shelves to the closet), and I store my clothes in the overhead closed shelves above the front window. We have done this on both short trips (a few days) and long trips (a few weeks). Works for us.

PS: Similar to you, we removed the furnace and we have the dinette permanently converted to a bed. Kitchenette storage is used to store food, cooking utensils, dishes, etc. We have shelves above all windows: I store my clothes in the front upper shelves; side upper shelves are for storing extra towels, laptop computers, tablets, etc.; rear upper shelves for dirty clothes. Front and rear seat benches are for longer term storage of food, blankets, coats, etc. Also, we do have and use a porta pottie, and that is stored just inside the entrance door under the seat bench.

John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Curt,

One of the first things I learned when I joined the forum was to keep our boots, bulky jackets and rain gear in the tow vehicle so they would always be available when we wanted to use them. This also reduces what's stored in the trailer.

I've also seen where folks keep most of their clothes and all of their laundry in the tow vehicle, just selecting the fresh clothes they need each day or two.

We only use plastic containers for food. We use duffel bags for clothes as they shrink to no larger than what is contained within, and are consequently so much more "adaptable" to be stored away. I've noticed where some folks even use bags of clothes as pillows.

The luggage nets tend to leave things looking too cluttered for our taste, which makes for a less restful environment in the trailer.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
John:.
Did you add the upper shelves, or were they there already? Right now we have NO upper shelving in our unit at all.

And do clothes just go directly into shelf units, or do they go in plastic buckets, bags?

Thanks for the input!
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #5

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Curt,
like you we have a 4500, but ours came with upper shelves all the way around. We do not cook in the camper, nor use the sink. We are also not the first owners by a long shot, so lots of reno's have happened. We also keep the bed made up. We still use the furnace.
The big cupboard above the furnace now has 4 pullout shelves in it. We widened the doorway a bit to allow for the pullout shelves. The top two shelves are for clothing and the bottom two are for food.
Above the stove we keep the dishes and cups and under the sink we keep the pots and pans and laundry soap.
The front upper cupboards contain games, mixing/serving bowls, storage containers, tea and coffee and one toilet kit. (I store my toilet kit in the sink)
The rear upper cupboards and shelves contain tea towels, towels, first aid, cookies and other odds and ends.
Under the bed we keep the out door items like folding tables and our awning. The right storage area is empty and the right one has an outside hatch so we keep our axe and jacks etc in there. We removed the water tank as it leaked and we didn't use it. We put a hinge lid on the area and store extra bedding in there.
The front right bench contains repair supplies and parts and the left one has been reconfigured so that it opens into the trailer in the doorway and it holds our cook stove, wash basin, garbage can and laundry line.
Coats, hiking equipment, chairs, carpets, cooler, etc are stored in the back of the tow vehicle.
After every trip take note of what you did not use and reevaluate it's need. We have eliminated a lot of things that we thought we would need but found in reality, on the road, we did not need them.
We have been on the road for up to two months at a time and have found this set up works well for us, but everyone is different.
If we are boon-docking, we use the fridge as a cupboard for food.
The one thing we are still figuring out is dirty laundry. I am beginning to think I like the dirty laundry best in a bin under the bed as apposed to a bag. Just stays neater.
Hope that helps
Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
curt, I don't have upper storage in the front or rear, & keep the bed set up. we tried setting up the bunk beds & using the upper for clothes but it wasn't comfortable sitting beneath it to eat. I got one of those long, flat storage containers with wheels thats supposed to go under a bed. it fits perfect under the table/bed. its easy to roll it out, get your clothes then roll it back. dirty clothes went to the TV. good luck!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
A few pics of inside storage-note the lined baskets on the half-way bult closet shelf

A single pic of the partly-built closet, shelf & lined baskets.

Hi. We use fabric bins for our clothing, four bins to a shelf in our side closet. We use one for games, one for dog food and supplies, one for toilet paper and wipes, and the rest are for clothes, shaving kit, etc. Paul just added another shelf to the closet as there was lots of extra room.

We started out trying to use square baskets, but they took up so much space themselves and weren't small enough to get four to a shelf--so we tried the 10 1/2" fabric bins. We even found some at The Dollar Tree, fresh, new, and cheap! Fold up when empty, lightweight, helps us keep things sorted, and look nice on the shelves.

I liked the idea above of the duffels as they DO shrink/flatten as you empty them.

But we're good with our bins. If I didn't have upper cabinets, I'd figure out a way to put up shelves and I'd put the bins on the shelves like we used to do in our GetAwayVan--and use a bungee across the front when under way so they don't fall off. The bins look nice and neat & can be purchased in matching/contrasting colors or easily recovered to match your décor.

It's fun to figure these things out; whatever your ultimate "elegant" solution (one that works AND looks well), you'll be so pleased! I know I nearly hurt my arm patting myself on the back when I figured out our bin system.

Some people install drawers, maybe wire ones; Those are very nice, too, and don't require lifting them down every time you want to dig through them.

BEST of luck to you finding your solution.

Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 082.JPG  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There's as many ways to organize stuff as there are RVs. I looked at what was available in our 13' Scamp and did stuff that would fit. A simple rule helps guide it all. "If it's to be used in the trailer it goes in the trailer, if it's to be used outside it goes the tow vehicle."
We travel 3 to 6 months a year, so we're living out of the trailer almost much as we in our house.
Bedding seems to be a problem and making up the bed into a dinette as designed to also seems to be a problem. That problem was solved by us by using sleeping bags just layed out on the bed. It's less that 5 minutes to go from dinette to bed and a couple minutes longer to go from bed to dinette. The most time spent in going to dinette is stuffing sleeping bags into "stuff sacks". The bags are stored under the street side dinette bench (I put partial partition in that locker). No bed sheets or blankets to mess with. Simple and easy.
Clothing goes into the trailer. The closet is used as is. Some stuff like jacket are hung up and clothes like underwear, T-shirts, and socks are in two duffle bags sitting on top of the wheel well. This allow easy access and no modifications. If we're on a long trip where weather is likely to change we either warm weather or cold weather clothes in two more duffle bags in the tow vehicle. (the ones that aren't in current use) Typically we carry enough for 2 weeks then we need to find a laundry mat.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Like Byron we travel a lot, 7 months, typically April to October.

We have added a lot of defined storage space inside and outside our 1991 Scamp 16. We make the bed up each night adding 2 inches of memory foam kept under each seat cushion and behind the couch back. We added a cabinet over the dinette that takes all the bedding (and our jeans)

We have added drawers to our dinette and couch for clothing, providing 5 plastic containers for clothing, and a big cabinet over the end of the couch for more clothing. We carry no heavy clothing, just layering stuff.

We have 5 storage containers attached to the bottom of the trailer, stuff we need like a long extension cord, drill,... In addition we have a large rear bumper box for blocks, cords, hoses and some tools.

Our closet is shelved and primarily used for food storage as well we have a small slide out pantry under our stove.

In our car we carry things like a case if water, sometimes a generator, clothing we might need when hiking.. Rain coats, gloves, hats, backpack, hiking sticks, snack box (nuts, energy bars...) we also carry a small compressor, auto fluids, first order tools.

We carry about 10 days of clothing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote