where to store the spare - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I am seeking some wisdom about where to store the spare on our Compact Junior. I want to move it from being inside, having to be moved all the time to outside. There is already a large propane tank and battery on the tongue. Some people have been able to fit the spare in front of the trailer sitting in the a portion of the tongue but I do not have room unless I go to a smaller tank. The gallery pictures shows an arrangement with the tire under the tongue. I have wondered about a spare tire holder mounted to the tongue like what might be seen on a boat trailer. Would you put such a holder on the road side or curb side. Any comments or wisdom to share.

Rear bumper is not strong enough plus the door is in the back. Do people carry the spare in the tow vehicle?
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I have a Compact 2 and carry my spare in the tow vehicle. I also mounted a piece of plywood on top of the spare tire so I can use it as a step by the back door if I'm in a campsite where I need to lower the front jack to be level. The step into the door is very high then and the step on the spare is just the right height.
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Is there enough room to mount it UNDER the tongue?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Is there enough room to mount it UNDER the tongue?
I moved my spare from inside the trailer to [b]under the tongue, using a simple Spare Tire Bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_unplugged.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	12200

I have a 3rd frame rail in the center of the tongue, and the bracket hangs the tire off of that.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
I am seeking some wisdom about where to store the spare on our Compact Junior. I want to move it from being inside, having to be moved all the time to outside. There is already a large propane tank and battery on the tongue. Some people have been able to fit the spare in front of the trailer sitting in the a portion of the tongue but I do not have room unless I go to a smaller tank. The gallery pictures shows an arrangement with the tire under the tongue. I have wondered about a spare tire holder mounted to the tongue like what might be seen on a boat trailer. Would you put such a holder on the road side or curb side. Any comments or wisdom to share.

Rear bumper is not strong enough plus the door is in the back. Do people carry the spare in the tow vehicle?
How about on the outside of the tonge?

Name:	159.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	12201

Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
By switching to a smaller propane tank, I was able to create space on the tongue for the spare. The link shows a photo of my temporary attachment method. I need to have a bracket welded to hold the spare in place. With no hot water heater, furnace, or propane frig, the 5 lb. propane tank has lasted more than two camping seasons.

Tom Trostel

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...view=slideshow
Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Registry
How about on the back... got a bumper? Helen
Attached Images

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Registry
Oops didn't read the whole message 'no room on the back' . Sorry. Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
As a fellow Compact owner, I too have pondered this issue. My spare tire currently resides under the 'bed' (I leave my dinette in bed mode just about all the time.) I have lately thought more and more about how that space could be useful for other storage though, like my luggage! hehe The biggest valuable commodity that we Compactors are short on is interior space, so every inch is PRECIOUS! hehe
So from what I see, we have a few choices:
1. Mount it underneath the hitch.
2. Mount it to the side of the hitch.
3. Rearrange your things on top of the hitch and mount it there.

I agree with the previous comment, it's fairly impossible to mount it on the rear bumper. I think at this point the idea that seems most attractive to me is mounting underneath the hitch. I would imagine you could always just tilt the trailer up in the air to access the spare tire then, right?

Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
to get a different take on what to do with your spare go look at some offroad websites and see what they have done with their spares. Lots of ideas from swing out tire carriers on small off road rigs to mounts up high with a hand winch to lower/raise them on large expedition campers
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #11

Trailer: Compact Jr
Question

On Sis' Compact Jr, I moved the battery inside (forward end of the passenger-side underseat locker) and put the spare tire between the propane tank and the front of the trailer. A strap over the top keeps it from bouncing around, and a cable and padlock keeps it from walking off. I added some aluminum chafe strips to the trailer where the tire contacted the fiberglass.

At first the chafe strips were wood, but when I looked at them a year later (this last fall) they were scorched (!) from the tire rubbing against them. Disturbing.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
I have a Compact 2 and carry my spare in the tow vehicle. I also mounted a piece of plywood on top of the spare tire so I can use it as a step by the back door if I'm in a campsite where I need to lower the front jack to be level. The step into the door is very high then and the step on the spare is just the right height.
This may sound crazy but, Would it be possible to mount the tire on front of the door on some sort of swing down arrangement to make the tire a step?
That would solve two problems at once.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Folks,
Another thought I'd had was using the spare tire as a base for an outside table. I've heard of some folks replacing the table top, that's currently doing duty as part of my bed, with a good sturdy piece of plywood and then actually using the table top as a table outside. I think that would be very handy, to have an extra table outside. But would the spare tire be enough for a base? Anybody else do anything like that? Just curious...
Joe
Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Another alternative is to mount the tire on the tongue and then put the battery or LP tank on top of it. Might be inconvenient to use, but I've only used spare tire once in many tens of thousands of miles (back roads at low speeds, not super-slabs)
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
This may sound crazy but, Would it be possible to mount the tire on front of the door on some sort of swing down arrangement to make the tire a step?
That would solve two problems at once.
Not sure if their is a solid place to mount too but a welder could do that if so. BUTTTTTTT.. the experience of the jeeper world from many years back.... side mount spare tires attract things to whack them into. Thats why no one uses side mounts anymore
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Not sure if their is a solid place to mount too but a welder could do that if so. BUTTTTTTT.. the experience of the jeeper world from many years back.... side mount spare tires attract things to whack them into. Thats why no one uses side mounts anymore
Sorry, I thought the Compact had a rear door. My mistake.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
This may sound strange and also may not be practical but here goes.

When I picked up the Fiberstream I could not figure out where the spare would ride either.
While giving me the tour I was shown an obvious solution that I never would have thought of on my own.

The tire slides onto the jack handle and just rides atop the jack,sitting just as far as it sits on its own.
Now keep in mind that Fiberstreams have tiny 12" tires but it seemed like a stroke of genius to me.

If it fits,I will use it.
I do have to remove it to hook and unhook the truck but it also sits on the hitch latch and helps insure that it does not open during towing,as does the pin I stick in there of course.

You can sort of imagine what I am talking about in this picture,sorry it is as close as I can find right now.
Attached Thumbnails
StreamJack_Tire.jpg  
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Another alternative is to mount the tire on the tongue and then put the battery or LP tank on top of it. Might be inconvenient to use, but I've only used spare tire once in many tens of thousands of miles (back roads at low speeds, not super-slabs)
That's what I do. The LP tank sits on the tire (fits great) and both are strapped down.

Bobbie

Name:	campsite.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	12245
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #19

[quote]That's what I do. The LP tank sits on the tire (fits great) and both are strapped down.

Bobbie

Attachment 12245

Hmmmm, that actually looks pretty good Bobbie, but my Compact's already got a mount for the LP tank and a nice toolbox for wheel chocks and such mounted on the tongue, so Im kind of hesitant about rearranging those things.
I think the two options for me at this point are either to mount the tire underneath the tongue, or to make it into a base to use for my outside table idea. We'll see what happens! Joe
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #20

Registry
This could be a rather interesting subject and/or study.
Let's take a quick look. What is the problem requiring a solution?
As I see it we have this spare tire and don't quite know what do with it, if anything.
Maybe we should start with do I really need this spare tire, more to the point do I need to carry it with me?

Which brings up more questions.
What happens if I don't bring it with me? Risk analysis and probabilities.
If do get a flat tire is the spare necessary or is there other alternatives such as AAA or GSERS?
If I did get a flat tire would I change it or would I call my emergency road service?
Am I going to be places where "self rescue" is important?

With a group like this and a bit of thinking outside the box many problems will have an elegant solution. First the real problem needs to be identified. Then possible solutions can be explored, which usually will lead to a good solution which may not answer the original question.

The solution will not be a one size fits all either.