Who has original scamp overhead cabinets. - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Who has original scamp overhead cabinets.

Hi

I have ordered front and back scamp overhead cabinets, and my fantastic fan just arrived. For once in my life I have actually thought ahead and came to the conclusion, that I need to positon my new fan "between" the escape hatch and the soon to be installed cabinet.

However I do not know the WIDTH OF THE REAR FACTORY CABINET.

Once I know this I can map out and mount my vent.

Who has a factory cabinet in a 13' scamp.

Can you please tell me the back to front width of this cabinet.

Thanks. . jimbo

Old 08-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #2

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Tell me more about your current layout, I'm a bit confused what/why your asking. My escape hatch is in back above the bed, the rear overhead compartment is about 16.5" deep, the hatch is about 14.5" forward of that. My fan is just forward of the closet, in line with the left/rear edge of the outside door. I don't have a front overhead.

Not making it to the Playa this year. Scamp remodel and various complications slowing my move to Vancouver.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
From the rear wall to the front face of the cabinet door is 17 1/2" in my 2008 model. From the top of the rear cabinet to the hatch is 35".

Ron
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

California
Registry
Thanks. The reason I am asking is that I
Have ordered overheads from scamp. By hey have not arrived yet but I am taking my one week maiden voyage starting this Friday

I have a fantastic fan I want to install and don't want to put the fan in between where the edge of the back overhead is and where the escape
Hatch is

No playa for me this year but taking tr week plus to journey up the coast from LA to Crater Lake and back
Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Thanks. The reason I am asking is that I
Have ordered overheads from scamp. By hey have not arrived yet but I am taking my one week maiden voyage starting this Friday

I have a fantastic fan I want to install and don't want to put the fan in between where the edge of the back overhead is and where the escape
Hatch is

No playa for me this year but taking tr week plus to journey up the coast from LA to Crater Lake and back
What I don't get about why your asking is that looking at mine, the overhead is no where near either hatch or vent/fan. If your worried your fan will interfere with one of the overheads I'd say your thinking of putting it in a very different place than my hatch and fan are located. I think perhaps Scamps that came without vents/fans (probably rare) might have the hatch more centrally located or in front for venting the kitchen. But looking at mine, you'd have to try really hard to put the vent far enough forward or back to hit one of the overheads. That's why I was asking about your current configuration. Pictures, measurement or at least a description of your current hatch layout would be useful to me if I'm going to advise you on where to cut. Not something I'd want to be iffy or vague about, a unwanted or misplaced hole in your ceiling could be a big downer.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #6

British Columbia
Too bad about burning man, who knows, we might be on the 5 in Oregon around the same time? I'll probably be passing that way in early Sept. I car camped around Crater Lake last summer, gorgeous.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Dylan there may be a question in regards to the location of the escape hatch on his Scamp. Not all of them have the escape hatch located over the bed. For example on the Scamp 16' the escape hatch is located a bit further forward which allows the Fantastic Fan to be installed at the rear over the bed. I have also seen another 13' with the escape hatch located further forward as well.... not sure what year they stated putting them further back over the bed on the 13'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #8

California
Registry
My hatch is located slightly to the rear of center. And I'd like To Put the fantastic fan as near on the dinette/rear bed as possible. Hope this clarifies

Dylan do you have pix of yours. And where did you camp at crater lake

Thx
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
My hatch is located slightly to the rear of center. And I'd like To Put the fantastic fan as near on the dinette/rear bed as possible. Hope this clarifies

Thx
That's what i was after, like Carol suggested, i was assuming if you were asking it was likely a non standard hatch placement.

I'll see if i can take a few pics of my ceiling with a wide angle lens. May be a fight fit if the hatch is near the middle.

I'd have to take a look at a map to jog my memory about crater lake camping spots. But they were mostly non RV, car camping type sites. RVs will have fewer choices and i think farther from the crater.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #10

California
Registry
Thanks Dillan I appreciate the 4-1-1. Looking forward to the trip
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
The back side of my escape hatch is about 31 inches in front of the back window. There are times when condensation drips down on the bed. Ron said 35 inches from edge of cabinet. His must be a bit more forward than ours.

My fantastic fan is pretty much centered in front of the door. I asked Scamp to put the fantastic as far forward as possible as I wanted air to get up near the front bunk and help exhause cooking moisture. does a good job of exhausting, but it does not get to me sleeping in the front. Looking for a way to get air to me. The window above my stove is essential to me as that is the nearest fresh air I get.

We have both front and rear cabinets in our 13.

Nancy
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I'll see if i can take a few pics of my ceiling with a wide angle lens. May be a fight fit if the hatch is near the middle.
You could show the same positioning from outside on a ladder or balcony.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #13

British Columbia

I stitched some images together so you can see the whole roof layout.

I'll try to get you more Crater Lake info soon, but I'm a little crazed trying to get my trailer on the road. When will you be hitting the road?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
OK, you want to put the fan between the rear overhead cabinet and the escape hatch. The escape hatches that I've seen are all in the same spot on the 13 footers. They might be plus or minus a few inches one way or the other. There's not enough room. 16 footer's escape hatches are a moot point as they've got 3 feet more roof than we do.

My 13 Scamp is configured like Dylan's except I also have a front overhead cabinet . I just went out and measured everything on the roof. Here you go:

The rear overhead cabinet is 17inches deep, then the escape hatch is 13inches forward of that. The escape hatch is 18 1/4inches and the fan is 16inches forward of that. The fan is 14 1/2inches and the forward overhead cabinet 12inches from it. The forward overhead cabinet is 19inches deep.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp