Who is Qualified to Fix my Weight Distribution Hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Red face Who is Qualified to Fix my Weight Distribution Hitch?

Hi, All,

I just bought a 2014 Casita 17'SD from someone who had a much lower hitch receiver than I have on my 2007 Toyota Sequoia. The WDH from the factory, at its lowest setting, is still at least 5" too high. I drove it ~300 miles to get it home, apparently no worse for wear.

My question is, will the WDH require a qualified RV service place to adjust the height, or can a U-Haul service place fix it? Or any car mechanic? The PO said it required specialized RV knowledge, but right now they're all super busy. And I need to save money....

Thanks!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well, finding highly qualified people can be a challenge in any field. I'd look for a good size trailer dealer, or RV dealer.. Camping World if there is no place better.. (many Uhaul places are good too but there is some variation).

But check the numbers, you might not need (or want) a weight distributing hitch with that tow vehicle. Maybe you just need a ball mount that gets the trailer level. If you are new to towing, see http://www.jayco.com/files/pages/002...wing-guide.pdf

BTW. On the other question, I don't have my FG trailer yet so someone who has owned one for many years, or dealt with an older one, should reply, but basically the finish will get chalky if it sits in the sun too much.. the finish can be protected and/or restored but parking under cover (or using a cover) is less labor. But if you are going to be on the road a lot and stopping for two weeks at a time (and living in it), then I would think a cover would be impractical. However, if you park it (store it) for months at a time, then a cover or carport would help it keep a good finish.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Wax it with a good quality wax. 3M has some good products for fiberglass boats that work well on an FG trailer.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
You could take photos by an RV place or two to ask what you need even though they will not do it now. Or go by U-haul and make sure it is one of the U-Hauls that does the hitching work. If you post photos here, someone might be able to say.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

But check the numbers, you might not need (or want) a weight distributing hitch with that tow vehicle. Maybe you just need a ball mount that gets the trailer level.
That was my first thought as well. A 17Casita should be no challenge for a Sequoia without a weight distribution hitch. Heck, even if a casual reader had never seen one... the name alone should raise the question!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Are you talking about the ball part that has 3 or so adjustable heights. If so anywhere should be able to loosen it up and move it to a better height
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hitch adjustment
Perhaps if you could post a picture or two of your hitch setup someone familiar with the hitch and potential adjustments could give you some pointers. If it's all bolted together and there are multiple slots, ridges and or holes, you might only need a couple of big wrenches and a little
sound logic. The brand of hitch if available would not hurt either. Most owners manuals are available on line too.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 AM   #8

Florida
The WDH has holes and slots and arms and chains in addition to the hitch. The PO was unable to loosen the nuts with an adjustable wrench and rubber mallet in order to work the options. Probably a torque wrench would do the trick, but I would like an expert opinion as to whether and how I need it. I'll post pix shortly.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Wendy, like Floyd said your tug doesn't need a WDH for the 17. One pic of what you have is worth a 1000 words to us . A torque wrench is only for proper foot pounds on tightening. A cheater bar and/or heat will get the nuts loose. You say a factory WDH, is this something that the seller used with his tug and what was it? All TV's are different and won't need the added lift of a WDH. I have the same trailer and don't use or need it with my Ranger and it would be just another 30 pounds at the hitch.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
This is what I used on my old trailer, they come in different length drops so choose the most suitable one. Mine was too long, it scraped on the driveway a bit backing in. Can be installed and adjusted with a little common sense and a pair of wrenches. The one shown is the longest I saw on the page.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #11

Florida
Hitch photo(s?)

Underground garage -- so sorry!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1435777935
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #12

Florida
Hitch with 1 of 2 arms

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1435778424
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #13

Florida
The seller bought the Casita 17'SD new from the factory, which fitted the hitch to seller's car, which I believe was a Toyota (?) Highlander.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #14

Florida
This is the seller's car.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1435779792
Old 07-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post

It looks like you should be able to turn the shank portion upside down, unbolt the ball mount part & flip it around to get the needed dropped ball height for your vehicle. The previous owner likely had a lower hitch on their tv & had to set it much higher.

It should be an easy job but if you're unsure how to do this check with a local hitch installer. It may not be required to have the WD on your application but if you have it & it can be set up correctly to your truck you may as well use it.
Attached Images

SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi Wendy. You have a big heavy SUV but you still need to get it all set up appropriately. Highly recommend you get an appointment with a reputable RV hitch shop and get then to set it all up. In the long run it will be worth it and you won't have any worries that something is not right.

PS... Does your trailer have brakes? Hope so. You will need to get a brake controller installed and set up.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #17

Florida
Steve V., that's exactly what the seller tried to do for my bigger TV, but the bolts were too tight.

Wayne MC1, yes, that's what I need to do to feel confident about the rig. I do have brakes (standard with the Casita), and I bought a P3 controller that I had installed, but I don't know how to operate it in an emergency. I can feel that it's working under normal conditions, though. I'll read the copious and confusing instructions, eventually.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
If you have a local mechanical garage/shop they should be able to use an air impact wrench to break the bolts loose. An adjustable wrench & rubber mallet won't do the job.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight