Why is the Roof Vent off center? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Quick question....Why is the roof vent off center? It is biased all the way to the left on my Boler.
So much that the outside flange was hanging over the curve of the roof a bit.

I'm thinking about fiberglassing over the hole and putting it more toward center...or maybe two,
one towards the front and one towards the rear. (Just in case I EVER decide to put a roof
mounted AC).

Anyway, just curious why it was built that way..??
Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I have 2 theories, its closer to the stove and furnace and the curve of the roof is flatter near the sides.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
Quick question....Why is the roof vent off center? It is biased all the way to the left on my Boler.

I'm thinking about fiberglassing over the hole and putting it more toward center...or maybe two,
one towards the front and one towards the rear. (Just in case I EVER decide to put a roof
mounted AC).

I think you just answered your own question. AC unit.
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just remember, not all older units were built to handle the weight of an A/C on the roof. If you install one, and the roof won't hold it.. you're liable to find the A/C unit sitting on the floor inside the trailer sometime after driving down a rough road, and you'll have a nice size non-closing roof opening

Does the roof vent appear to be centered when looking at it from the inside... like between cabinets? I was thinking maybe the cabinet on one side of the trailer was deeper than the other?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's a Boler and the ones I have noticed have been a 14x14 off-center mounting.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #6

Donna,

By off center, this is what I'm talking about.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do anything silly by fiberglassing over the hole and
relocating it. Even in the location it is in now, I think it would intefere with a roof mounted AC.

I can't see a clear reason why it's this way. Asthetically, I think it looks silly off to the side like this.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Cannon_13613__Small_.jpg  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Can't help you with your vent problem, but Iwould like to know what you are planning to finish the inside walls and ceiling with. I am looking for an alternative to the fuzzy material in my scamp. Good luck
Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #8

Well, I'm still in the early stages of this rebuild but, the plan right now is to have the interior sprayed with Rhono Liner or Line-x(pickup bed liner) Durable, easy to clean, available in just about any color, and best of all for me, it will be seamless.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:

mounted AC).

Hi: Brian The first Bolers were made with a flat roof and no vent or insulation at all. Condensation was a big concern!!! Then the roof was raised to add interior height and strengthen the roof to keep it from sagging and the Ensolite(Elephant Hide) was added. At that point they added a 8"X8" spring loaded chain pull roof vent and they were located off center to be closer to the cooking/washing up moisture. Our '77 Boler had a 14"X14" vent centered in the roof before we added a 12V.MaxxFan. Standards changed over the production years as did companys mfg. the trailers. Just my .02 cents worth.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Be sure that the Rhino Liner is safe for indoor use and doesn't give off noxious or unpleasant gases.

Saw a Jeep Wrangler done outside, except front hood, in Rhino Liner. It looked great and wouldn't need any waxing except the hood!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
One reason could be that the roof vent, when closed has a bead chain hanging down, and having the chain dragging over your head would be a nuisance......another reason could be for ease of exterior maintenance/ assembly of the vent, i.e. easy to reach off the side of the trailer.......the trailer roof isn`t really designed to hold too much weight.....maybe I`m in left field but then again!!!! Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Well, I'm still in the early stages of this rebuild but, the plan right now is to have the interior sprayed with Rhono Liner or Line-x(pickup bed liner) Durable, easy to clean, available in just about any color, and best of all for me, it will be seamless.
I had thouhgt about that or something similar but what will you do for insulation and how will you hide your wiring.
Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #13

I'm not sure what the insulating qualities of the rhino liner are. I intend to call the manufacturer and ask some questions before I proceed. I toyed with the idea of first gluing up some type of foam padding and then spraying on top of that. Then again, most if not all of my camping will be in the warmer months so I'm not too concerned with heating.

So, to answer your question......I'm not too sure yet.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I'm not sure what the insulating qualities of the rhino liner are. I intend to call the manufacturer and ask some questions before I proceed. I toyed with the idea of first gluing up some type of foam padding and then spraying on top of that. Then again, most if not all of my camping will be in the warmer months so I'm not too concerned with heating.

So, to answer your question......I'm not too sure yet.
You might want to think about the how much you will like the texture of that RhinoLiner on the inside of your camper. Pretty hard and rough from what I hear. Mike used a product on the outside of his restoration that I am considering for the outside of mine. Not sure how the price compares to RhinoLiner though. He talks about it HERE.
Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ours had a metal 10"x10" vent centered in the roof. Someone must have gone through the garage door with it up 'cause it was in pretty shabby condition. Now we have a tinted 14" square vent in place and it's nice to see the sky on a starry night. Many of the older trailers with the vent closer to the cook station also did not have a vent window over the stove, and these seem to have gotten a bit larger over the years as well, but then so has the door window.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote