Wierd Red Stuff On Awning - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: DK
Trailer: 2006 Escape
Posts: 19
While washing our Escape over the weekend, we noticed some red stuff on/in the awning. Soap and water doesn't appear to affect it. Has anyone else observed this stuff? Is it some sort of mold, algae, ??? Any ideas on how to deal with it?

Doug
__________________

__________________
dkdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bill MacDermod's Avatar
 
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Posts: 611
If its any kind of mold and it doesn't sound like it, bleach should take it off, if it won't come off try liqueur thinner
__________________

__________________
Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Scott S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Posts: 515
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
were you camped any where near the Bates Motel or that camp with that guy in the goalie mask?
sorry, couldn't resist!


Quote:
While washing our Escape over the weekend, we noticed some red stuff on/in the awning. Soap and water doesn't appear to affect it. Has anyone else observed this stuff? Is it some sort of mold, algae, ??? Any ideas on how to deal with it?

Doug
__________________
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Anne H's Avatar
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Posts: 465
Registry
I think the stuff on mine was red - I used a weak bleach solution, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then applied some elbow grease and a brush. Seemed like most of it came up. I was assuming it was some kind moldy stuff from all the damp over the winter.
__________________
Anne H and Fay Wray, the cat | Portland, OR
en Plein Air (2016 19' Escape; 2016 Honda Pilot )
http://rightbrainrightlane.blogspot.com/
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
Have your birds been eating cherries??
__________________
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: DK
Trailer: 2006 Escape
Posts: 19
We try to avoid Bates-like motels at all costs (that's why we bought the Escape in the first place) and we live too far north for cherries <grin>. I think it's some form of mold. I'll try the weak bleach solution and see how that works. Thanks for all of the suggestions, both serious and not so <g>.

Doug
__________________
dkdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Carolyn Patterson's Avatar
 
Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Posts: 200
I personally wouldn' t use bleach water, but instead something like OxyClean - they make one for 'outdoor' and I've used it to clean the deck on my home and even put some in my washer for my whites.

OxyClean doesn't kill plants or grass, but it does kill mold....and it won't ruin your clothing b spotting it with bleach.

Just my thoughts..
__________________
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,816
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
If its any kind of mold and it doesn't sound like it, bleach should take it off, if it won't come off try liqueur thinner
Hi: I always thin my liqueur with... water
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Posts: 760
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
dkdavies,
A reddish colored algae forms in bird baths which don't get the water changed often. I wonder if you are experiencing the same toxic substance.
Has anyone contacted Escape about the problem?
Please keep us informed about your success or lack of same.

Thanks,
Kurt & Ann K.
__________________

__________________
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adding Awning rail and awning to Surfside ericmarlo Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-16-2008 12:01 AM
You know you have too much stuff when.... Gina D. General Chat 12 07-10-2006 07:17 AM
more stuff Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 07-10-2003 10:47 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.