WIFI - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2006, 01:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Okay, I heard folks talking on here about traveling and dropping into Starbucks and using their laptops to hook up to the net. "Yikes! I need that."

I bought a used laptop at my reliable computer shop and they recommended something called a Wireless 11g USB Adapter. I got that too. Now we're cooking with gas.

My better half, who reads instructions BTW, came with me when I went to the nearest Starbucks to test fly our new gadget.

No joy in Muddville! We could not connect. Now I know it is a simple problem, I may have just forgotten to connect my camaframus to the dooma flicker, but I cannot check my email or get onto FGRV Forum.

I'm not leaving home until I can. HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
WIFI.JPG  

Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Did you configure your Kachingus to be backwards compatible with your doobiculous?

Sometimes the parsnickitle is out of phase with the wangadagle.

Haven't a clue without a little more info. Usually, it's pretty clean. Plug and pray. If your device.. (The usb thingy) is properly installed, it should detect any wireless network in range and you simply connect by chosing the/a network.

Are you getting an error message? Or does it say it's connected and just nothing happen?

Simply things first, check your installation of the adaptor. Do you have a firewall? If you do, is it set to allow access to the outside world?

Many many things can cause this. More info, if you have it!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Did you configure your Kachingus to be backwards compatible with your doobiculous?

Sometimes the parsnickitle is out of phase with the wangadagle.

Haven't a clue without a little more info. Usually, it's pretty clean. Plug and pray. If your device.. (The usb thingy) is properly installed, it should detect any wireless network in range and you simply connect by chosing the/a network.

Are you getting an error message? Or does it say it's connected and just nothing happen?

Simply things first, check your installation of the adaptor. Do you have a firewall? If you do, is it set to allow access to the outside world?

Many many things can cause this. More info, if you have it!

Thanks Gina. Buried amid your great humor there were a couple of genuine clues. Yes, a disc came with the USB adapter and I think we installed that correctly.

The error message read something like. "Cannot conect with this program if you are using another program ..."

And the firewall question is something I'm going to look into.

I kinda thought it was simple plug and play but I should have known better.

Thanks again Gina for trying to help a poor lost soul.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25' Rear Queen
Oregon
Registry
Ken,

A couple of weeks ago, I took my first trip with my new laptop (equiped with WIFI). I also wondered how it all worked. After some discussion with some "full-timers" at the Elks Club RV lot in Spokane, their advice to me was to pull into any Circuit City or Best Buy parking lot...before and after hours affords the best parking...and just log on. Routers used in those business sometimes are left on 24/7 and if you are close enough to the building, you'll get a signal. I also have sat in the street (actually, in my tow vehicle) in front of coffee shops (not Starbucks) that say "Internet Access" on signs in front of their store and accessed their router as well. I never did feel that I could afford Starbucks coffee anyway!!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:58 AM   #5

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
The error message read something like. "Cannot conect with this program if you are using another program ..."
From your photo I see you have an IBM that is a cut above the IBM R31 Thinkpad I have. And mine has wireless already built in, so I would double check that yours doesn't also. It could be why you are getting that error message. And it would make the USB device redundant. How expert is that shop? Can't they configure it for you? I think they sold you that USB connector unnecesarily.

Good luck.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Nice photo of your notebook. I don't see any USB devices near by.

What OPSys are you running. If its Win XP Home or Pro the setup should be plug and play.

Disconnect the USB device, turn on PC, wait for desktop to be displayed, plug in USB device, wait until us see a 'device is now connected' message in the lower right hand side of desktop, right click the double monitor icon, click scan for wireless networks, and left click the one that says Starbucks.

You should be connected.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I'm with CliveAlive: Any help available from the computer store? If the system is new, perhaps they can be "guilted" into proving that everthing is working and thus set up the WiFi for you.

I'm a noob on this stuff as well. It seems like there are two types of systems. Open systems like at Panera or Starbucks, and closed systems such as the subscription services offered at Barnes & Noble and Borders. I suppose home systems would be closed as well.

With my smart phone, open systems such as you would like to take advantage of, just automatically load up on my unit once I tell it I want it to. However, a smart phone operating system is probably different from a "real" computer.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #8

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Verify that your wireless USB adapter is backwards compatible with "b" format, as "g" is not yet in wide use I do believe. Thus if the Starbucks is running "b" your "g" device, if it is only "g", would not be able to connect. What is the full model name/number?

You should see a Wireless Network Connection icon in your tray as shown in the small picture. My cursor is to the right of it. Right click on it and select View Available Wireless Networks and you will see a screen like in the larger picture showing all wireless networks in the area. Mine only shows my own, but at a friends it showed about 8 from all his neighbors! Select the one you want to connect to, like Starbucks, which should typically NOT be security-enabled.

The above assumes Windows is managing your wireless connection. The USB device may have installed its own wireless manager. If so, look for its icon and follow a similar strategy. (I suspect the message "Cannot conect with this program if you are using another program ..." you see is either the Windows connection program or the wireless device's complaining about the other. I recommend you use Windows' by shutting off or removing the wireless device's management program.)

Report back on results. Good luck! Wireless connecting is very convenient!

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
w2.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #9

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Was the Starbuck's wireless network actually up and running?

-- Dan Meyer
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #10

I want to say, this is the finest group of people on the Internet. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread; you have lifted the fog for us.

For the curious, we are using Wndows XP Pro

We tried a couple of motels that advertised having WIFI after Starbucks failed.

I have included a picture of the USB Adapter thing I spoke of.

Today we take your advice and return to the computer store with laptop in hand and armed with some intelligent questions this time - thanks to you folks.
Attached Thumbnails
USB.JPG  
Old 08-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
I think the Brand X adapter you were sold is the wrong one for general WiFi use. Take it back unless it can be verified that it's 802.11b compatible.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #12

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I went to the nearest Starbucks to test fly our new gadget.

No joy in Muddville! We could not connect.
I once asked at a Starbucks about how to use their WiFi. The kid behind the coffee counter pointed to a stack of pamphlets on a separate counter. The pamphlets were for signing up with a Cell Phone provider for internet access! Did not just try to see if my WiFi would detect a hotspot there... we just went on down the road. Found a KOA with WiFi that night.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Our local Starbucks require a monthly subscription to gain access to their Wifi like truck stops.

I go to other Coffee Houses that offer FREE Wifi.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
The USB WiFi adapter shown in your latest photo should work just fine. The CDROM cover says it is an 802.11g compatible and should handle networks that use 802.11b protocol without any problems.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote