Wifi Question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #41

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thank you John.

Utilizing the smart phone’s hot spot costs an extra $30-50 per month. I only need a hot spot a few times a year and neither AT&T or Verizon allows it’s customers to change this service on a monthly basis. Most of my needs are taken care of via my Karma MiFi. Unfortunately, it does’t work particularly well at all my campsites.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thank you John.

Utilizing the smart phone’s hot spot costs an extra $30-50 per month. I only need a hot spot a few times a year and neither AT&T or Verizon allows it’s customers to change this service on a monthly basis. Most of my needs are taken care of via my Karma MiFi. Unfortunately, it does’t work particularly well at all my campsites.
While most of the cell services cover major cities & highways, once you get away from them, your only reliable choices are Verizon & AT&T. A few years ago, I would have said Verizon only, but I was pleasantly surprised by the increased coverage by AT&T over the last year.

I realize you are looking for an inexpensive solution, but if you want reliability outside cities & major highways, I haven't found one. I currently am using an AT&T Mobley device, which the Connected Car division of AT&T offered during its introduction for $20.00 per month for unlimited data. Unfortunately, it is no longer available. The plan is still working, so it is the least expensive unlimited data plan I know of. I also have a Verizon based phone with a Jetpack added to the plan for $20.00 per month.

If you have one of the latest phone plans from AT&T or Verizon, you can add a Jetpack (a data only device) for around $20.00 per month to the plan. While they call it unlimited, after 15GB - 22GB, depending on the service, they slow you down to dial up speeds on congested towers.

Verizon allows free tethering to a phone or iPad, while AT&T charges around $20.00 per month to add it. Again, you have to have one of their phone (or iPad) plans. I was paying $20.00 per month for 1GB per month of service on a iPad on a stand alone plan. I believe that plan is still available.

Keep checking on what services are available from the major cell providers. They change plans constantly, and while you may not find something that will meet your needs today, it will be different next week!

If you can schedule usage, Byron's suggestion of looking for WiFi hot spots at chain organizations such as McDonalds, Loves & Flying J Truck Stops, Lowes Hardware, most public libraries, etc. When I traveled before cell data was available I often asked the desk at motels if I could use their WiFi & was never refused. While I would hate to have to completely rely on someone else's WiFi, it can be done.

More & more locations are offering WiFi in their stores or parking lots. A WiFi amplifier will give you more reach, allowing you to work from your trailer rather than hanging out in the store.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post

If you can schedule usage, Byron's suggestion of looking for WiFi hot spots at chain organizations such as McDonalds, Loves & Flying J Truck Stops, Lowes Hardware, most public libraries, etc. When I traveled before cell data was available I often asked the desk at motels if I could use their WiFi & was never refused. While I would hate to have to completely rely on someone else's WiFi, it can be done.
What I have found that most of these are fine for checking email, but they are really slow if you want to upload or download photos, or update software, or anything that requires more bytes per second. At Quartzsite Earl mentioned libraries (and you did here too), and that is the ticket for public WiFi. I found even sitting in the truck outside that I got fast speeds most of the time. I have never tried asking at a motel, but some of them are fast, some not so much.

For most stuff though I am happy to use the 12GB that my wife and I have combined per month. I just use others WiFi if I know I have some big files to deal with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While most of the cell services cover major cities & highways, once you get away from them, your only reliable choices are Verizon & AT&T. A few years ago, I would have said Verizon only, but I was pleasantly surprised by the increased coverage by AT&T over the last year.

I realize you are looking for an inexpensive solution, but if you want reliability outside cities & major highways, I haven't found one. I currently am using an AT&T Mobley device, which the Connected Car division of AT&T offered during its introduction for $20.00 per month for unlimited data. Unfortunately, it is no longer available. The plan is still working, so it is the least expensive unlimited data plan I know of. I also have a Verizon based phone with a Jetpack added to the plan for $20.00 per month.

If you have one of the latest phone plans from AT&T or Verizon, you can add a Jetpack (a data only device) for around $20.00 per month to the plan. While they call it unlimited, after 15GB - 22GB, depending on the service, they slow you down to dial up speeds on congested towers.

Verizon allows free tethering to a phone or iPad, while AT&T charges around $20.00 per month to add it. Again, you have to have one of their phone (or iPad) plans. I was paying $20.00 per month for 1GB per month of service on a iPad on a stand alone plan. I believe that plan is still available.

Keep checking on what services are available from the major cell providers. They change plans constantly, and while you may not find something that will meet your needs today, it will be different next week!

More & more locations are offering WiFi in their stores or parking lots. A WiFi amplifier will give you more reach, allowing you to work from your trailer rather than hanging out in the store.
Thanks Jon,
I’m on AT&T as well. In some parts of the Rockies, service can be sketchy, but I’m satisfied with their service. My phone works fine for email. Costs related to accessing things like newsfeeds would be prohibitive. Tethering my iPad would work for me and AT&T’s price may have gone down a bit. Still it isn’t exactly what I want.

Regarding public WiFi spots, I also partook back in the day. But I no longer feel comfortable exposing my data via an insecure connection.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Thank you John.

We pay nothing extra to use the hotspot on our Pixels, its a built in feature. We do have an "unlimited" data plan shared between several phones.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
We pay nothing extra to use the hotspot on our Pixels, its a built in feature. We do have an "unlimited" data plan shared between several phones.
What’s a Pixel?
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #47

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
What’s a Pixel?
its an Android smart-phone, made by Google. My wife has the Pixel XL (large screen), and I have the standard Pixel (normal size screen). these models have been superceded by the Pixel 2, and the Pixel 3 is just about to drop.

I've been quite happy with the Pixel vs other choices such as Samsung Galaxies, because there's no 3rd party junkware preinstalled that you can't get rid of. I *hate* all that Samsung stuff specifically, but other makers are just as bad. I use Google Gmail, I don't want Samsung Mail reading my gmail for me.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #48

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Charge for the hot spot feature depends not on the phone model, but on your phone carrier and plan.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #49

Quote:
its an Android smart-phone, made by Google. My wife has the Pixel XL (large screen), and I have the standard Pixel (normal size screen). these models have been superceded by the Pixel 2, and the Pixel 3 is just about to drop.

I've been quite happy with the Pixel vs other choices such as Samsung Galaxies, because there's no 3rd party junkware preinstalled that you can't get rid of. I *hate* all that Samsung stuff specifically, but other makers are just as bad. I use Google Gmail, I don't want Samsung Mail reading my gmail for me.
Hey John,
Just finished googling Pixels. They reall look good - particularly Project Fi.
Currently, we reside in the mystical land of Apple. But will definitely keep this alternative on my front burner. Great suggestion. 👍🏻
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #50

Mid Left Coast
I would have a hard time switching to Apple as I already had bought a number of useful programs for Android, and these can be run on whatever device(s) I currently have... if I switched to Apple, I would need to buy the same programs over again, as well as get used to the Apple way of doing things, which has always frustrated me, for some reason I find Android more to my mindset.

If you're already an Apple user, the opposite is just as true, I'm sure.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #51

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Charge for the hot spot feature depends not on the phone model, but on your phone carrier and plan.
ah. checked on verizonwireless.com and found the following FAQ...

Quote:
You'll be charged data usage according to your monthly data allowance whenever a device is connected to your Mobile Hotspot.

The following plans include Mobile Hotspot on capable devices for no additional monthly charge:
  • The new Verizon Plan (including unlimited options)
  • The Verizon Plan
  • The MORE Everything® Plan
  • The following prepaid smartphone plans:
    • $30 Monthly
    • $40 Monthly
    • $50 Monthly
    • $60 Monthly
    • $70 Monthly
    • $75 Unlimited Data, Talk & Text

If you don't have one of these plans, you'll need to add Mobile Hotspot to your account and you'll be charged monthly to have the Mobile Hotspot feature on your device, in addition to data usage charges.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #52

Quote:
If you're already an Apple user, the opposite is just as true, I'm sure.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #53

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
WiFi

Have you tried using your phone as a hotspot? Also most local libraries have WiFi if you just want to check emails or do some downloads.
DaveWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #54

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What I have found that most of these are fine for checking email, but they are really slow if you want to upload or download photos, or update software, or anything that requires more bytes per second. At Quartzsite Earl mentioned libraries (and you did here too), and that is the ticket for public WiFi. I found even sitting in the truck outside that I got fast speeds most of the time. I have never tried asking at a motel, but some of them are fast, some not so much.

For most stuff though I am happy to use the 12GB that my wife and I have combined per month. I just use others WiFi if I know I have some big files to deal with.

I found the best WiFi in Quartzite to be the Senior Center. The last time I was there it cost $5.00 annual dues to Senior Center with access to the WiFi system.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #55

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
one of joys of camping (Scamping, etc.) is to unplug. That is to turn the phone off. Find or travel places where there isn't internet. Just plain disappear from society for awhile. Relax and enjoy the scenery and the wild life.
While i conpletely agree One of the Joys of FGRV camping is unplugging and reconnecting we are really Glampers after all. I don't think we are overly roughing it. Another joy of FGRV camping is getting to "play" with our big toy, our camper. Getting the systems to work, tuning those that needed to be field tested, and generally tinkering is equally relaxing and rewarding for some of us.

When everything is working properly, I fall into the deepest state of relaxation listening to the birds chirping while my shiatsu massager and wine do their best.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #56

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Netflix does offer subscribers the ability to choose to view their content at lower resolutions. They realize sometimes it is essential to do so depending on the device or connection. My Netflix subscription is in fact a plan they offer that on has lower resolution. It saves me money and I don't have a big screen anyway so the lower resolution still looks great.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #57

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Our drop light contains a light bulb I found on Amazon that doubles as a bug zapper. Flick the light switch once and the bulb lights up; flick it again and it is just a bug zapper or turn it off.

Having the wifi repeater on the drop light, which is strapped to the inside of the EZUp roof assures it is located at the highest point in camp while being protected from the elements.Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1538534590055.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	125174
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote