Will 4" foam (instead of 3") work on Scamp top bunk? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Will 4" foam (instead of 3") work on Scamp top bunk?

I have 5 pieces of 24"x72" foam (4" thick) that I ordered from Rochfordsupply.com . Cost including shipping was $220. I Cut all of my new cushions this morning except for the one for the top bunk. It wasn't until after I'd ordered all 4" foam that I took that old upholstery off the top bunk and realized the stock foam there is only 3" thick. The plywood underneath makes up the difference in thickness.
My mother-in-law will be making us new upholstery out of some outdoor rated fabric we bought last weekend. My options for the top bunk are....

1. Use the 4" foam for the top bunk and have the upholstery made to accommodate the extra thickness of the wood plus 4" foam. I AM CONCERNED THIS WILL CAUSE SOME SORT OF ISSUE, when the top bunk is folded down for the gaucho back. The top bunk was not connected when I bought the trailer and I don't have the hinges to attach it for experimental/testing/measuring purposes.

2. Use the 4" foam and have the new upholstery made for 3" foam and then just fight like crazy to get the 4" foam and the wood into the new cover. It might be that this just will prove impossible.

3. Order the proper 3" foam and deal with the EXTRA COST. Try to sell the "extra" piece of 4" foam.

Hopefully some of you will have some insight into this matter.

For the record the foam I ordered from Rochfordsupply.com is the one listed as "most popular" and has been used by many on this forum. It is significantly softer, floppier, less dense, easier to tear and seems to be inferior in quality to the stock foam. However, it's not cover/filled with mildew and mold and 32 years worth of other peoples dead skin cells. It also cost quite a bit less than having Scamp $hip the stock foam, its also much cheaper than getting the foam locally ($400). I used high quality $$ spray adhesive to make a the foam a bit longer for the lower bunk. The adhesive cannot be "felt" in the foam. I was surprised to find that many of my stock 32 year old foam cushions we're pieced together with spray adhesive as well.
Despite the fact that it seems lower quality than the stock foam- I bet it will be tons MORE COMFORTABLE than the stock foam when it comes to sleeping. If we can deal with sleeping over the dinette cushion "seams" then we may just be able to sleep right on top of this foam without adding an additional foam topper.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Use the 4" foam on the bunk. The padding is on the front side so the upper bunk will still sit against the front wall. The only difference will be that the lower bunk, when used as a bench will be 1" narrower.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Dont think the extra thickness will allow the upper bunk to tuck behind the lower bunk when it couch mode. Although since you said the foam is not as dense it just may compress enough but with my scamp it's snug as a bug between what becomes the back rest and the lower cushion with no extra room whatsoever. You gotta push it down tight and if fact if I dont move the lower cushion out of the way I might not get that upper bunk all the way down into place allowing the lower cushion to seat completely flat. Are all Scamps designed this way? Maybe in others the back cushion rests on top of the lower cushion instead of behind it like ours?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have the same somewhat problem. My seat cushion is 4" thick (as all are) and when you fold the bunks down the upper buck won't go right back against the wall creating a shorter sitting space, but liveable. The solution would be to make the seat (Lower bunk) into a 3" and then the upper would fold back to wall but again the lower bulk may not be as comfortable. ""WHATAREYAGONADO"

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Do I understand this correctly?..... The "banana" cushion on the lower bunk is removed to make room for the top bunk to swing down for the back of the couch right? Is there then a spot to put the banana cushion?
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Yes, Ryan, that is correct. We just set the banana cushion on top of the couch back. It's wide enough with the support ledge that it doesnt fall down.

Tags
scamp