window a/c - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Anyone know where to buy a new window a/c unit small enough to fit in the back window but not be to big and heavy.
Have hunted but found nothing small enough. Thanks
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Have hunted but found nothing small enough.

I think the smallest window air conditioners are [b]5000 BTU's. I have not seen any smaller than that; but there are TWO ways for the manufacturer to make the window frame mount. Most place the window frame mount close to the front of the unit, which makes the back stick all of the way outside. Fewer manufacturers balance the window frame mount so that the air conditioner cantilevers equally inside and outside, placing less stress on the window frame and the wall it is mounted in. I bought a GoldStar 5000 btu at Home Depot several years ago just because it is balanced in the window.

Link to My A/C

I made mine removable (It does not ride in the window when the trailer is moving.) But, it could easily be permanently mounted in the window frame as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
We have Frigidaire model FAX050S7A 5000 BTU unit we bought at Home Depot last spring. Its 16" wide and balances nicely on a platform I fabbed based on Frederick's design (Thanks Frederick! )
Unfortunately, I just did a search on that model and got nothing.

AJ Madison has a GE model ASQ05LL that might work at 16 3/4" wide. You might be able to find one locally you can measure to make sure.

(by the way we have a Scamp....)
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Thanks so much for the replies-will check them out.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I bought a 5500 BTU Daewoo at Costco last summer that is 17.5" wide, 12.5" tall, and 15" deep. They're not in stock now but I'm sure with spring coming they will return.

Tom Trostel
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
We have Frigidaire model FAX050S7A 5000 BTU unit we bought at Home Depot last spring. Its 16" wide and balances nicely on a platform I fabbed based on Frederick's design....(by the way we have a Scamp....)
Where did you mount yours in the Scamp?

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Quote:
Where did you mount yours in the Scamp?

R.
When we set it up, it goes in the open rear window. When traveling, the unit is in the TV.
I made fillers out of 3/4" maple to fill in the remaining spaces in the window frame top and bottom.
I'll post pictures when I get home.
I've actually only set it up once, but it worked great. It hasn't been warm enough on the rest of our trips so far.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:
When we set it up, it goes in the open rear window. When traveling, the unit is in the TV.
Ah, okay, then your Scamp must be one with an operable rear window. Thanks for getting back with the info.

Raya
Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One of the Yahoo Scampers mounts his in half of the crank-out side window on his Scamp 13'-- Takes him about five minutes to remove window parts and install a/c which he carries in his truck in warm weather -- He has made a similar mount in the sliding window of his 5W.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #10

Quote:
One of the Yahoo Scampers mounts his in half of the crank-out side window on his Scamp 13'...
I'm trying to visualize that. Do they make really wide, flat AC units? I guess I'm assuming you mean this type of window I'd like to know more about that, if you have more info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boler_with_jalousie.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	17969
Old 02-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We bought a 5000 btu Samsung at Lowes last fall at the off-season discounts. Replaced the previous permanent side window mount with a much improved setup. In Arizona, you can't fool with taking them in and out, cause we use the AC about seven months camping...
It's a great location for the AC in the 13, and an easy mod to mount it there. Whole install, including AC unit was less then $100.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_exta.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	17970
Attached Thumbnails
AC_inta.jpg  
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #12

I wish I had pictures -- They were posted to a web site that was discontinued -- It was done with an El Cheapo a/c from Wally, with an extension to make it wide enough -- If one couldn't find an a/c to fit the half-window, it wouldn't be much more work to take both halves out.

Point is, it doesn't have to be an elaborate job because it doesn't have to handle the stresses of going down the road or tearing out the frame in a minor crash -- Just some plywood filler and a stick to the ground to deal with gravity.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #13

Quote:
I wish I had pictures -- They were posted to a web site that was discontinued -- It was done with an El Cheapo a/c from Wally, with an extension to make it wide enough -- If one couldn't find an a/c to fit the half-window, it wouldn't be much more work to take both halves out.
Pete,

I take your point on having a unit that you take out for transport; sounds kind of like when you remove the outboard motor from a small boat for trailering.

What I was curious about was how the AC unit could fit in "half" of one of the jalousie units (pictured in my last post above). I'm still not sure I can visualize that part.

Greg, I could see where your mount would work well for a "permanent" AC. So far I'm not where I would need that so I was curious about the one that Pete had seen fit into the jalousie.

Raya
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #14

Here's Buddy's write-up about the crank window a/c (and the link to photos is still a dead end) -- Others have done it, following his advice (Don't lose the screws!):

"As stated several times, it is a 5 minute job to install it. There are two Phillips head screws on each end of the bottom window. When they are removed, the window lifts off. The top window stays in place and when cranked out comes out to the edge of the little 5k Fedders and protects from rain etc. A single six inch by 1/2 inch board the width of the window is held on the top flange of the A/C unit with a single screw. The A/C unit leans against the board and no other support is used to hold it in place. Two strips of foam rubber is stuffed in the edges and the unit is plugged in at the receptacle on the end of the sink cabinet. BTW, this is the installation shown in Scamp's original brochure and it is so simple and works just super today. Please note that crank out windows are shown."

And here's his write-up on the slider window installation:

"Here is a quick and easy way to have A/C in the rear sliding windows.

On my 1992 S19 Deluxe, I had no air so here is how I set a 5000 BTU unit in the rear sliding window: Took less than an hour.

The window is set to open about 15 inches and 17.5 inches are needed. There is a stop in the upper left hand corner of the window that is held in with a single phillips head screw. Remove that.

Then get your Dermal tool and several cut off discs (they brake easily). Go outside and cut about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the top of the center flange that touches the top rounded window frame and keeps it from opening all the way. Be careful to not cut the class as you go.

I now have 17.5" window opening. The A/C is 17.5 inches wide and still won't go in the window, so I removed the A/c case and it fits fine. It's a 99$ A/C unit so modifying the case gives me no heart burn.

Now I open the window set the A/C in the window, plug it in turn it on and one more cool Scamp. Remove A/C unit, set it in the floor, close the window and I'm ready to go. Even easier than the crank out windows.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

I'll take some pics.

Buddy"
Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #15

Pete,

Now I understand, thank you! It sounds like your friend is removing the lower pane of the two-jalousie-set, and then "opening" the upper one which then makes a visor for the AC unit. So the unit is more than "one pane" high, but only the lower pane is being removed.

Ah so!

Raya
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #16

In his photos (been a while) it looked like the upper pane was completely closed when he was finished.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I would be concerned, if leaving the a/c unit in for travel, that you would get an 'oil can' flexing that could cause failure of the f/g.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
I would be concerned, if leaving the a/c unit in for travel, that you would get an 'oil can' flexing that could cause failure of the f/g.
Between the PO's unit in the dinette window and my upgraded replacement of that the AC a year ago. the AC has been permanently in place in the dinette window for 28 years with no ill effects to structure or fiberglass.

I was concerned about that however, so when I redid the mount I sandwiched all the edges of the fiberglass with 1 1/2 aluminum strips inside and outside to reinforce the mount to the fiberglass surfaces.(You can see the outside strips in my earlier photos) You can lift the trailer off the ground now by the AC, although I wouldn't recommend that as a regular jack point.

On these temporary window mounts, I would certainly not recommend leaving them in for travel.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote