Window and Rivets and Snap caps.... - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Jen
Trailer: 2008 13ft Scamp 2nd owner
Wisconsin
Registry
Window and Rivets and Snap caps....

Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh my.

The front window on our Scamp has a leak. We believe this just started and has only been noticeable during a downpour. However, we all know it can lead to significant problems. We have one missing snap cap and the clip washer is damaged. (Else I would have just snapped a new one on.)Also, the weatherstriping around the door is half missing etc. So...

Since, I do not have the knowledge or confidence to pull out the front window and reinstall. My fear is that I'll get that sucker out and won't be able to get it back in. So, I'm not about to start and then get overwhelmed.

As for the clip washer, drilling out the rivet has me scared! Since all of the snap caps are showing age, I am more inclined to have them all looked at and taken care of professionally.

Where should I go to have all of this taken care of in one shot?
I purchased our 2008 Scamp used in the fall of 2011 via some members of this site. I feel we worked out a good deal and these items are just popping up via normal wear and tear etc. So, I would like it completely overlooked by someone who knows what they are doing. I might be able to deal with the rivets, snap caps, and weather striping if I chose to take the time. However, if I'm taking it in for that window, I may as well have someone else do the work.

I'm in Southeastern Wisconsin and I can travel. Would it be worth the drive to the factory in Backus? Do they do service and maintenence? I have no idea where to begin.... HELP.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Jen,
I've traveled to the factory in Backus twice.
First time was just after I purchased my Scamp to get the broken electrical port cover replaced, new door seals installed, and running light replaced. I figured they could do a better job of making it watertight. I have this fear of drilling or cutting a hole in the outside and making more of a problem.
The second visit was to get the old, tired axle replaced and get a couple of those deteriorated caps/receivers/rivets replaced. The fellow ended up replacing those three and then put new caps on many others that just needed the caps. He even removed the caulking that a previous owner had slathered around many of the caps. He said the caulking there wasn't necessary.
My experience has been that they're very helpful and have reasonable prices. If you combine it with a camping trip to one of the nearby state parks or recreational areas, it's really not bad. I just called and scheduled an appointment for a Friday and then went camping on the weekend.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

Name: Jen
Trailer: 2008 13ft Scamp 2nd owner
Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks for your reply.
That's exactly what we are thinking of doing... camp our way there and camp on our way back. We both have wanted to check out the factory. And my husband has pointed out a few other things that he wants done as well. So, I've made an appointment in Backus. While we are there, I think we shall dream about a deluxe model with the wider bed and front dinette.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanjen View Post
Thanks for your reply.
That's exactly what we are thinking of doing... camp our way there and camp on our way back. We both have wanted to check out the factory. And my husband has pointed out a few other things that he wants done as well. So, I've made an appointment in Backus. While we are there, I think we shall dream about a deluxe model with the wider bed and front dinette.
The factory could possibly convert your present Scamp to fit your desires & needs.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanjen View Post
Since all of the snap caps are showing age, I am more inclined to have them all looked at and taken care of professionally.
All snap caps are made of plastic that starts to show signs of age after being subject to sun and bad weather after a few years. I wouldnt read anything more than that into it. You can buy a package of all the cap sizes directly from Scamps on line store that has the right amount of all the sizes they use. Simple to replace a cap, sure wouldnt want to pay for labour for a professional to take care of that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote