Window Gasket, Window Seal, Window Molding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
I am at my wits end on trying to find the rubber gasket, seal, or molding...whatever it is called, to rebuild my Burro windows. Searched and searched on the Internet to no avail. I have gone to a couple of local auto glass shops only to have the people look at me like I am some sort of alien from outer space . I guess "normal" people just buy new windows... or even trailers. If the window leaks, buy a new trailer.

Maybe I AM crazy by wanting to restore/repair what I have. I figure, if something should need repair, I will know exactly how to go about fixing it. Not only because I have a budget to live within but because I prefer to learn how to be independent.

Anyway, anyone have a good source for different shapes of rubber molding that holds the plexiglass in the aluminum window channel?

I don't need to replace all I have, so far only a one foot section of a three foot piece is hard. A plexiglass place suggested that I heat it up with a hair dryer and reinsert. But since it is hard, I tend to think it is only a matter of months before it cracks. All of my windows are out of the egg and will begin restoring the plexiglass and replacing molding where needed. Thanks in advance for any leads!
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anything here help you??

Helpful-Links - Moldings
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #3

The wonderful helpful links was the first place I looked...thanks, Donna. Previously, I looked through all the sites linked except for Trim Lok because I couldn't ge that to load. Today it worked and I searched the site and downloaded their catalog...still no rubber gasket in the shape that I need.

The closest online source is Coachglass.com...M18 on their molding guide. I called them to let them know my problem. What a great company! They said they could send me a little piece of M18 to see if it is exactly what I need. If I find their product is not what I need they asked me to call them back and they will find someone to help me...even one of their suppliers if needed. Wow! What service!

Just thought I would check here before continuing on my search. Will be going to a local RV place this weekend who has a stock load of old stuff upstairs tucked away in a warehouse. Problem is, they are pricey place and none of this stuff is marked. I'll have to keep a poker face if they have the rubber I need. The more excitement in my eyes, the higher the price.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Donna S,

I can empathize completely! We have a similar problem re. our '84 Casita front and back windows. The inside bits that hold the plexiglass in the frame and allow it to slide open are falling out, and the outside has been sealed and resealed by the previous owners. We'd like to pull out the windows, remove all the caulking, and rebuild them. Like you, we're having trouble finding the inner replacement pieces - I don't even know whether what we need is a gasket or moulding or ? Has anyone else rebuilt an early '80s Casita front / back window? We'd be very grateful for any advice...

Thanks too for the link to Coachglass.com. We'll stop by and see if they have what we need next time we're in Eugene.

Good luck on your project!
Jeanne

Click image for larger version

Name:	casitafrontwindowb.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1520
Attached Thumbnails
casitabackwindowb.jpg  
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #5

Wow, Jeanne! Your windows are bad. The previous owner of my Burro wasn't so liberal with the silicone. Luckily he only put a dab in the corners and I was able to pull it right off.

I took one of the smaller windows apart by pulling out the rubber gasket, seal, molding stuff. Cleaned out every nook and cranny of the aluminum track with a toothbrush, scrubbed the rubber with warm water and mild soap, then reinstalled the rubber. Once everything was put back in place, there are small (1/8" or less) gaps in the corners of the rubber. To test how the water may travel in a heavy rainstorm...I closed the window and sprayed water at it in my sink. The way my windows (Burro plexi originals) are constructed, the outside rubber is not waterproof...nor does it need to be...the weep holes are big enough to let out even 2 gal/minute (or more) stream of water.

So although these windows are not watertight from rain entering into the track, as long as the weep holes are kept clean, the water will pass through and do no damage. Condensation from the inside is a different story...it has no place to escape...and the inside track could possibly overflow.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Wow, Jeanne! Your windows are bad...
I know... We're a little embarrassed at their condition, but we do want to restore them. Sometimes it seems like the project may be like opening Pandora's Box though. It would be so easy just to slap a little more of that awful caulking on, and leave the windows in place!

It's helpful to read about the dismantling and cleaning of your windows. Thanks for your detailed description. I hope M18 works out for you!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
The shrunken moldings on my 17' are gray and I simply pushed the moldings back into the round corners and filled the gaps in the square corners with a gray caulk, (not silicone), latex type, and it matched quite nicely, took but a few minutes and has been on for 1 1/2 yrs. but if it creates a problem I`ll just replace it every year or so...just put in a bead in the corner and blend in with your wet spittled, (how`s that for a good word?), finger.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: Casita 13' and Casita 16'
Texas
I realize that this thread is over 5 years old but I wanted to give my 2 cents. Burro, Casita etc. have miles and miles of the window gaskets and any buyer of their trailers should be able to purchase from them. And if you think about it, plexiglass is nothing but a flat object and gaskets for any manufacturer's trailer should work if you remove all the old and install the new.
rvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The problem Bill, is none of the trailer manufacturers make their own windows or gaskets. You have to get that from the window manufacturers, like Hehr, Sunview, etc. The only plexiglass window in my Scamp is in the front and yes, I can get the gasket and lockstrip from Scamp because it's the same stuff they've used for years and are currently using in the new trailers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: Casita 13' and Casita 16'
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The problem Bill, is none of the trailer manufacturers make their own windows or gaskets. You have to get that from the window manufacturers, like Hehr, Sunview, etc. The only plexiglass window in my Scamp is in the front and yes, I can get the gasket and lockstrip from Scamp because it's the same stuff they've used for years and are currently using in the new trailers.
Yes, I assumed they didn't make their own. I still stand by what I said. The trailer manufacturers obviously keep large quantities of it and could sell trailer owners what they need by the foot. There's no way for most people to know the name of the manufacturer who made their plexiglass and gaskets and have to track that kind of info down and the manufacturers probably don't deal with individual trailer owners anyway. And yes, I would assume the trailer manufacturers probably have used the same stuff for years. Scamp is a cut above the rest as far as parts go. Their site actually lists replacement items and accessories. Casita never has.
rvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote