Window installation on 1300 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Window installation on 1300 Trillium

We removed all the windows to better fix, clean, lubricate and tint the windows and fix the frames. Still lots of work to do, but need to know the best way to re-install to prevent leaks. Do we need to install the gray tape on the window frame or on the window opening before installation? Which is the best way to water proof the new installation?
Thanks, JD

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:43 AM   #2

I was hoping someone else would help you out with this one, but guess I'm going to have to get the ball rolling. Some have used silicone caulking, but I think more people prefer the butyl tape. I put the tape on the window. it rained before I got all the screws in and I had a small water puddle below one corner. after the screws were all back in, no leak. I'm not sure if just laying the tape on the window is the best, because of this leaking, but that's what I did. I'm only half way around the trailer, so maybe some one can tell us if we need to work the tape and put it on in a roll that squeezes out or how it's done right.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #3

Since it rained very hard yesterday and we are still dry I'll reply. We used strip calk on the window. This squeezed out a little bit when we put the screws in. We put latex caulk around the outside of that. So far so good.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:33 PM   #4

First, a distinction -- butyl tape and putty tape are different. That will be obvious to some, but not to all. Putty tape is a light gray color, and is used to set windows and doors in RVs. Butyl tape is white, and is used...to set windows and doors in RVs. Butyl tape is stickier and extrudes better than putty tape. Additionally, putty tape will eventually harden somewhat over the years, and shrink a little, allowing possible leaks. Butyl tape is more resistant to these things. So, you can use either one, and with success, but butyl tape is considered to be a better product.

Ribbon/strip caulk can be a variety of things, from putty to latex to butyl, so you'll have to read the label on that one.

As far as how to use it, clean the window frame and trailer body thoroughly, making sure no residue is left behind. Apply the tape to the window frame, pressing it firmly, but not so hard as to badly distort it, to the frame. Place the window into the window hole, and tighten the screws. The tape should extrude out somewhat as you tighten the screws. That's about it!

Old 06-05-2003, 06:11 PM   #5

Maggie and Paul, thanks a bunch!!
I will use butyl tape. I wish I'd known before I installed the new vent (already riveted); I used grey tape for that, no worries, after the TT is painted, I will caulk a bead around the edge. Thanks again, JD

Tags
trillium