Window latch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 01:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

My Compact Jr. entry door has a window that covers almost the entire door. It can be opened by sliding down the top half or lifting the lower half. I suspect if all the retainers are in order, both the top and bottom could be opened part way for improved circulation.

However, those retainers have seen better days. I have no retainers for the top half, and only one of the bottom pieces remaining intact. Anyone know where to find these? Know anyone who can fabricate metal if I provide the template (the remaining sliding retainer)?

No pictures available tonight. Anyone know what I'm talking about without them!?

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

They are carried by Prime-Line, but that doesn't make them easy to find. A Canadian shop, www.allglassparts.com, sells something similar for $19 a pair -- I can't tell if they will fit though.

But there's another problem -- in order to replace them the window frame has to be taken apart. The zinc corner pieces (the dull L-shaped inserts) are pinned in place by the dimples in the frame and are a devil to get out without breaking them. Part of the problem is the pinning but another substantial part is they get corroded in place as well.

I think that by far the easiest thing to do is to fabricate pins to replace the broken-off ones. I'll be doing that in about two weeks -- I'll let you know how they turn out.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, I wonder if any of the companies found on the Window and Windows Parts pages in the Helpful-Links would have what you need. Windows and Window Parts Cooper's has a large PDF catalog you could "thumb" through. Here's a start to the window hardware page: http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page...amp;pageNum=181
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

Jen: In a previous post I was asking for info as well. My sliding pins still work, but the soft metal would have "nipples" that fit into the small square holes in the door frame to hold the sliding frames in place. Those nipples are worn off. I'll be interested to observe what you discover. My frames are presently secured by screws. If would be nice to have sliding glass in the rear window.

Seems that there are several owners of Compacts working on their rigs .
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Hummm, I wonder if any of the companies found on the Window and Windows Parts pages in the Helpful-Links would have what you need. Windows and Window Parts Cooper's has a large PDF catalog you could "thumb" through. Here's a start to the window hardware page: http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page...amp;pageNum=181
Thanks, Donna - I suppose I should have noted that, in addition to exhausting the resources provided in this site's fantastic library of links and documents and previous forum entries, I searched the internet pretty far and wide. I can usually find ANYTHING on the internet. Not so in this case!

Kent - it sounds like yours and mine "work" just the same. It is these nibs which have broken off mine, too. So, though the sliding mechanism works beautifully, there's no nib left to fit into the hole to retain the window.

Dana - What are you going to use for fab material? I'm guessing the bounce puts quite some strain on those mechanisms. Aluminum (which appears to be the original material) and plastic probably won't last. I was thinking of some stronger metal... I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Jen

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #6

The latches are primarily zinc. The problem is not the strength of zinc, but the way they are designed -- the pins are held by a thin web which over time age-hardens, fractures, and fails.

PrimeLine's catalog is a PDF file and can be found here: http://prime-line-products.com/catalog/MakeToFit.pdf

Listings of die-cast slide bolts start on page 78.

I didn't see an exact replacement, but there are some that may be promising.

Considering how hard it is to install new latches, even if they can be found, I think it will be easier to rebuild the latches in-situ.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #7

Thanks for the reference. I would think nylon might be easier to "make fit" than die cast but they are sold in lots of 20 for both right hand and left hand. Gives me a smile early in the morning. at least I know the right name for the part.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Once someone figures everything out, please post some pictures of the older worn out part and the new replacement part. The company where you ended up buying what was needed too... resource information is always good. All this info will help those in the future
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Once someone figures everything out, please post some pictures....
Of course, Donna.