window lockstrip tool?? How to repair window parts. - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
window lockstrip tool?? How to repair window parts.

Hi,
We are working on the windows and replacing the center channel that holds the glass in place and allows the glass to slide open and close. I tried to find some info on the forums, saw something from 2009 where someone referred to Kevin61's video and a link. Link was gone and went thru all his videos on youtube but couldn't find what I need (repairing interior parts of window). Needing advice on how we get the "channel" if that is what it is called back in. We had bought some of the "channel" at a glass store, but it evidently is too old, as it falls apart as we try to install it (rubber pulls off of the backing or form thing or are we just doing it wrong)
HELP! Any ideas, suggestions or?
Any good videos or pics that show how to do it right?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
P1020782.jpg   P1020783.jpg  

Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Is this the one. I have not done mine yet but this seemed like a pretty good video for when I do

Old 09-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Lock strip tool is typically used for putting the small rubber, round gasket strip into the larger gasket material.

I'd go to a glass shop and ask how to get it in. If the first shop won't answer your questions, go to another.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
You may find this thread for a UHaul of use.

Uhaul Side Windows

The locking strip installation and the special tool are discussed, including the one I made for myself. I found it easiest to use the tool with the handle leaning in the direction of travel, so you effectively pulled the strip into place.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #5

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Is this the one. I have not done mine yet but this seemed like a pretty good video for when I do

Boler trailer Window Installation Part ONE - YouTube
Nope Jimbo, that won't work for me. I need for the inside channel the "felt" in the sliding windows. I used the wrong terminology. I originally thought there was a tool called a lockstrip tool used for that, but I watched a video on youtube on a VW and saw what that really was for. But thank you!!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You may find this thread for a UHaul of use.

Uhaul Side Windows

The locking strip installation and the special tool are discussed, including the one I made for myself. I found it easiest to use the tool with the handle leaning in the direction of travel, so you effectively pulled the strip into place.
Tom, thank you. That link had the info I was seeking on the 2nd page. I goofed when I called it the lockstrip. We just need the "felt" for in the channel on the inside. I was wondering if there were any special tools or tricks to get it in. I've saved the link in my document folder so I can find it again later.
As our trailer isn't a UHaul I couldn't get in on that great deal on the windows. So we are going with what we have and trying to work it all out. It is interesting. Especially when some of the glass places don't seem to be real able to figure it out. The stuff they sold us was too brittle. We found some new with vintage trailers and ordered it. Figured since everyone seems to think they are good, we should be fine.
Eventually I want to replace the fixed plexi glass back with a slider, but figured we'd get our hands dirty first on fixing the leaky side sliders. (and getting the thing up and running before we add "improvements" that aren't necessary. Thank you again.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #7

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lock strip tool is typically used for putting the small rubber, round gasket strip into the larger gasket material.

I'd go to a glass shop and ask how to get it in. If the first shop won't answer your questions, go to another.
Thanks Donna. Definitely going to another glass shop next time!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #8

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Thanks for the updates Tania. I am definitely book marking this thread for future reference
With everyones links and comments
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tania: See my post in the NOS Uhaul window thread about installing a Scamp rear window, I put in the measurements. The thing is though, I had measured the rear and side windows on a 2012 Scamp and they were so close I was sure it would be an easy job. The rear was a real close fit and just required enlarging the opening slightly, but the side opening was too big for the window and that became a much bigger, and expensive project. And then the NOS windows show up!! As long as that one Scamp side window doesn't leak it's staying. Measuring is one thing, but when you have the window in your hands and can hold it up to the opening, that's when you can see what will work. Bob