Window rain louvres - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #1

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Window rain louvres

I saw a 2002 Casita with louvres installed in the windows to deflect rain. Each louvre was about 3" wide and vertical, attached at the beginning of the window opening. The owner said he could leave his windows open that far even in a thunderstorm, and not get rain inside the camper. Have been trying to find something like this for the two windows over the bed. The louvre was plastic and not transparent, but what a great idea to be able to have air flow in the rain! Can't find anything like this by Googling. Any idea where to find such a thing?

Or maybe everyone just uses their Fantastic Fan to get ventilation in the rain?
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Last time I looked, no one manufactured those window louvers anymore. Too bad too.

If anyone finds a source for them please provide it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I think they were made by Maxx air but they were discontinued about 5 years ago. The Mfg. was contacted to sell the product again but they were not interested. Lil House Customs bought as many as they could find for their customers but they sold out in a couple of months. I don't think you will find any but good luck on your search.
Eddie
maxxair.com/products/window-maxx.php
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I assume you mean the ones shown on my Scamp13 below.
If so I recently saw a couple of them on a shelf in the back room of an RV surplus place in Elkhart Indiana.
If you are interested I can dig around for the address.
Attached Thumbnails
sm1.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Hi Floyd, Yes, that's what they looked like. I'd love the address or name of where you saw those? What do folks do when it's hot and there is a thunderstorm? Gets might stuffy with the windows closed. Can you really run the fan in those situations without letting in water? I was lucky enough to have a friend's house to go inside of and wait out the storm. Then I opened windows, turned on the fan and enjoyed the cooler air.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

Registry
Rv Surplus & Salvage
Directions
1400 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN
Call
(574) 264-5575

Its been a while (maybe last fall) and they were on a shelf in a room on the west end of the building.
The place has whole rooms full of stuff without a lot of organization.
So you may have to ask the counter person to dig and call you back.

If you have an awning of course then your curbside window will be protected if you seal your awning case to the hull.

Yes they are effective and you can run the fan in a thunderstorm if you have a roof vent cover like mine shown below.

Those vents work Great , they only allow the window to open half way for the vent, but you can still open it the rest of the way exposing half the screen to the elements.
As Eddie said... They are Maxxair and so is my roof vent cover.

Attached Thumbnails
Oregon trip 004.jpg   WB40023.jpg  

Old 08-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Some people in the Uhaul group have fabricated small awnings for over the windows using pvc pipe and fabric. They either fold up or are removable for travel.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Some people in the Uhaul group have fabricated small awnings for over the windows using pvc pipe and fabric. They either fold up or are removable for travel.
good point, some can be adjusted way low.
They are also good for shade over the window
I think a small piece of awning rail would make a great start as a snap in holder at the top.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if you have an awning on one side of your trailer you can open the door and the window on that side. Some people put the small window awnings over all their windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	door vent 1.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	131235
Shown in photo above: I have a tall sliding window in the door of my Campster, I fabricated a small louvered vent using a fitting made for boats for the top of it. I did that so I can have a source of fresh air in the winter or for those mild rainy days when it is too chilly to want the windows wide open. I have been leaving the sliding window down just enough so that vent gets full air movement all of this summer both day and night even if I am not using the trailer. That keeps things nice and fresh inside but does not allow any rain water to come in. I had to do something that was fairly easy, I cut an opening in a piece of sheet aluminum from the hardware store attached the vent to it with VHB tape then attached the metal plate to my door's metal window frame with VHB tape.

Using some plexiglass and similar louvered vents inserted into a panel you could make something like this for your side sliding windows that just slips into the glass channel. The vent I used for the door does come in the color white. I used the black one because it matches my paint color scheme.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Can you share the mfg and model # of the vent you used..... others might be interested in copying your modification
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #11

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Hi Floyd, Yes, that's what they looked like. I'd love the address or name of where you saw those? What do folks do when it's hot and there is a thunderstorm? Gets might stuffy with the windows closed. Can you really run the fan in those situations without letting in water? I was lucky enough to have a friend's house to go inside of and wait out the storm. Then I opened windows, turned on the fan and enjoyed the cooler air.
We installed a fan cover over the max fan so we could keep rain out of the fan and still run it for ventilation. The problem for us in the Casita is rain running off the roof right into the windows. Narrow eyebrows don't help.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Has anyone tried these, with success in being able to keep the windows open during rain?
https://www.campingworld.com/eze-rv-...CABEgJZ0_D_BwE
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
MB
I have 2 ideas. Look at Home Depot or Lowes for a house gable vent and figure out if you can modify it. Or if you know of someone with a 3D printer they could make you one (or more)
Mike255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrnfit View Post
Has anyone tried these, with success in being able to keep the windows open during rain?
Tried them, have two colors in the attic not much good for what I used them.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #15

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
Try this

Quote:
Really easy. We've use these plexiglass awnings for years without incident. Simply attach them with masking tape. Usually removed
Attached Thumbnails
20190805_163635.jpg  
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #16

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Can you share the mfg and model # of the vent you used..... others might be interested in copying your modification
Better yet since it will give a return for a variety of sizes and types of vents use the keywords "seadog marine vent" or go to the web page where they show all the varieties. They do offer some of them in stainless steel as well as in plastic. Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware

The one I used in the color black is seadog 337400
That size in the color of white is seadog 334401
Similar size in stainless steel is seadog 331400

Be careful what you choose in the way of louvered vents, the wider the overhang of the louver the better it will be for keeping out the rain. The one I used has a nice wide louver overhang.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #17

Oregon
Quote:

The gutters help but the issue with sliding windows on a sloped side is that the gutters won't keep the rain from going right into the widows. But it will direct the rainwater that comes off the roof away from the window openings. So while they will help reduce the volume of water they won't keep the interior completely dry.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I assume you mean the ones shown on my Scamp13 below.
If so I recently saw a couple of them on a shelf in the back room of an RV surplus place in Elkhart Indiana.
If you are interested I can dig around for the address.
ere heading for there after we finish at Forest cIty Iowa as have issues with our W. Trend, if not to expesive could pick them up before someone else does, because after that were heading towards NC and AZ. then work our way up to Culdesac Idaho.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #19

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
louvers??

I designed a complete set of louvers for our casita 17'...and tried several times to get somebody interested in mfr'ing them, but kept running into walls. The problem seemed to be finding someone who wanted to try to make some demos. I wd be glad to discuss this system I designed with anyone who wishes to PM me.. There must be 1000s of TTs out thereused which wd benefit from a set of louvers to use in rain!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #20

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
I designed a complete set of louvers for our casita 17'...and tried several times to get somebody interested in mfr'ing them, but kept running into walls. The problem seemed to be finding someone who wanted to try to make some demos. I wd be glad to discuss this system I designed with anyone who wishes to PM me.. There must be 1000s of TTs out thereused which wd benefit from a set of louvers to use in rain!
If you want to create them as a product to sell then you should consult someone who knows where to get the prototypes made and will also review your designs to be sure they can be manufactured at a reasonable cost. My friend works with persons such as yourself to make that happen. But he is not a manufacturer, he is a product designer. However he won't do it on spec and he won't do it for free because that is his professional business and he is very experienced at it.

Don't worry he is the real deal and has a very extensive list of clients from well known companies. Don Aupperle

his email is don@aai-design.com