Window seal - newby - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
Window seal - newby

This is my first post on this site, and I must say it is a very valuable resource. Perhaps it is because of my unfamiliarity with the layout of the forum, but try as I may, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

First of all, I am re doing my windows in a 74' 17' boler. There is a trim that holds the windows in the frame. I can't seem to figure out what they are called nor where I might order them... if they can be ordered. I will try to attach a pic of what I mean.

Secondly, the point where my 7point power cord enters the trailer has no gasket or cover or anything around it to prevent dirt and moisture from entering the unit: it just goes in through a hole in the fiberglass covered with some kind of silicone horror show. What could I use to seal that up properly?

Thanks in advance. As I do projects on the trailer, I will be sure to send updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo-0423.jpg   Photo-0424.jpg  

Fiberglass Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I cannot help on the source for the pane gasket; I took my window out and found an automotive glass shop to fix it up for me.

That flex wire covering looks like all your wires are run separately.
I bought a cable assembly that was pre-made, so I didn't need that flex covering.
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin pigtail.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	45271

Depending on the size of the hole, you might make a flex-conduit coupler fitting work from the electrical department of Home Depot.
That would mean totally disconnecting what you have inside and removing it so the hole can be cleaned.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Glaze bead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Gregg View Post
This is my first post on this site, and I must say it is a very valuable resource. Perhaps it is because of my unfamiliarity with the layout of the forum, but try as I may, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

First of all, I am re doing my windows in a 74' 17' boler. There is a trim that holds the windows in the frame. I can't seem to figure out what they are called nor where I might order them... if they can be ordered. I will try to attach a pic of what I mean
Hi Greg, Welcome! It looks like glaze bead. Try this place. They are helpful and will send you a sample. The measurement refers to the thickness of the glass.

Interstate RV Metal & Supply

Good luck, Keith
Attached Thumbnails
009-344.jpg  
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
Thanks to you both. You are right, Frederick, the wires are separate. They are ugly, and in my opinion, are less protected and subject to wear. I think you are right, a new cable with the coupler is a fine idea. Will do.

As for the "Glaze Bead", thanks for that, Keith. I will be sure to order that from Interstate. Do you or anyone else have any advice about how to properly install it? perhaps there is a link in the forum to a 'how to?' If there isn't, I'll put up some pictures as I do it... hopefully without any bloody fingers in the shot!
Fiberglass Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Bloody fingers?

Greg, LOL Funny you should ask. I just got done replacing the bead in my 5 windows using two thumbs and a small hammer.
I have an appointment on Tuesday to replace glass in two! My My am I happy about that. LOL
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
011 - 18.jpg  
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote