Window shades or curtains? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Window shades or curtains?

I'm getting close to the point that I will need to buy or make some window curtains for my 1978 Scamp 13. With past RV's I have also installed Venetian blinds.

However, the other day I saw some photos posted several years ago that showed roll-up blinds installed on a small fiberglass trailer. Now, of course, I can't re-locate those photos.

# 1. Can anyone know ofa source for such short roll-up blinds for the side windows, and wide-short roll-up blinds for the front and back windows of a Scamp 13?

#2. Has anyone use something crazy to make curtains? Like bath-towels, bathing suits (just kidding!) Just anything different that you liked!

All comments will be appreciated......

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
My wife made curtains for our Boler. Because of the curve of the egg, the curtains leave some privacy concerns around the sides of the windows and at the bottom so I am going to install curtain rods at the bottom as well so they stay up close to the window rather than hang straight down.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
I dislike the ugly and noisy blinds in our Casita, but they do have an advantage over curtains. In hot weather you can close them enough to get privacy while still getting good air circulation. If you use air conditioning I guess it's not an issue, but we run solar exclusively so that's not an option.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Bill, we had curtains in both of our Scamps, but our Lil Snoozy came with the Venetian blinds. I didn't care for these, so I purchased vinyl room darkening shades from Wal-Mart. You simply cut to fit width and length. I keep the sides close to the walls by using magnets. I used VHB double stick tape to secure one set of magnets to the aluminum window frames, and when the shades are pulled down, I place another set of magnets on the shades over each taped magnet........works like a charm. I did try to to use fabric (in place of the vinyl) on the spring loaded roll-up shank for"glamping", but the material let in to much light.
Best of luck in your quest.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
These aren't noisy. They don't hang awkwardly. Not sure how you would retrofit.
Attached Thumbnails
Blinds.jpg  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Registry
Johnny, John, Dave, and Glenn, thank you very much for your comments!

Several good ideas in the comments that I will attempt to use. There is so much good information on this forum, and thank goodness the members are willing to share!

Thank you again,

Bill
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
I agree with Ziggy about the advantage of Venetian blinds. In our Trillium Jubilee we have lots of windows and they are almost all full Jalousies. This gives the benefit of lots of air flow on hot nights that would be obstructed by the solid type blind or curtains.
Whilst they aren't as 'pretty' as well matched and well made curtains they are more 'neutral' and less obtrusive which is an added feature in my mind in the mostly small environment of our FG eggs.
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #8

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
David B ... could you post pictures of your shades? Thank you. I would also love to see pictures of anyone else's solutions - either shades or curtains!
Susan J. - NC
Susan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Have been waiting for a photo to input, it's not going to be soon at this point...so I'll try to describe what I'm doing.
Bought some fleece "throw" blankets at IKEA for $2.98 each. I'm folding them in half and cutting them two inches wider (roughly) than the span between the curtain rod brackets. I'll screw the rods into the brackets after slipping a casing of fabric over the rod, with a Velcro tab or two sewn at the top edge. In the hem, which is at the fold, I made another casing where I'll put two industrial magnets inside with stitching to keep them from slipping into the wrong places, and with more velcro so I can remove them for washing. The panel will be just larger than the window edges, and I'll put two metal washers with flat-headed screws below the window for the magnets to catch. Rolled down, they'll be double-sided, fleece panels. Rolled up, which we'll do by hand, they'll be a neat roll above each window, held by the Velcro tab. I hope they'll stay in place during travel, and I'm sure they'll stay in place with the magnets in use. I finished the panel for the door window, and it looks good both ways; taut when the magnets are pulling it down, and neat when rolled up. Color--white background with a large, light gray abstract line. Hoping for a few r-factors of insulation...maybe as much as 2! On hot nights, we can just leave them up, maybe. May need another strategy for really hot weather.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We made new curtains for our older Scamp. I solved the privacy problem by sticking velcro hooks on the bottom and sticking the curtains to the rat fur.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Kai, the use of inexpensive fleece blankets for window curtains sounds interesting. My wife made some small throw blankets out of bulk fleece several years ago. Our cat has claimed one!

It's very warm material and should block out the light for my afternoon nap!

Another great idea...

Bill
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
We made new curtains for our older Scamp. I solved the privacy problem by sticking velcro hooks on the bottom and sticking the curtains to the rat fur.
Sheryl M., does the velcro hooks tend to pull the rat fur from the wall?

Bill
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Sheryl M., does the velcro hooks tend to pull the rat fur from the wall?

Bill
It does not. I used the small 1/2" velcro squares, and stuck the hook side along the bottom and corners of the curtain every few inches. It was enough "stick" to hold the curtain to the wall, but was easy enough to pull off when we wanted the curtains open.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
It does not. I used the small 1/2" velcro squares, and stuck the hook side along the bottom and corners of the curtain every few inches. It was enough "stick" to hold the curtain to the wall, but was easy enough to pull off when we wanted the curtains open.
Thank you Sheryl M.!

Bill
Old 12-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Curtains and glamping decor for my 13' Scamp are my "thing". I love having curtains in my trailer as they give a vintage look as well as privacy and light. I keep the original translucent eggshell-colored curtains in the middle and flank them with changeable novelty-print panels. The eggshell curtains let in the light yet retain privacy. I can move the curtains to the sides when I want to look out the window. I have tie-backs (size 2" x 12") attached with Velcro to the rat fur when I want to hold back the curtains. FYI curtain panels should be 1 1/2 - 2 times the width of the window to provide a beautiful fullness to the curtain. You do NOT want to cut the curtain the same width of the window otherwise it will lay flat.

For black-out, privacy and heat retention I also have a custom roll-down shade made of Roc-Lon fabric available at most fabric stores. You can cut it without hemming as it will not unravel. A channel sewn at the top for the curtain bar and on the bottom for an additional bar will do the trick. The upper bar should be wider than the distance between the curtain rod holders as it rests on top of them. The bottom rod is optional and should be smaller than the width between the curtain rod holders. The top rod of the shades needs to be secured to the curtain rod holders. I use zip loc ties.

These photos show Velcro attached to the bottom of my shades to keep them next to the wall. I have found that this is no longer necessary on the side windows as I now have a tiny custom bungee cord attached to the rat fur using sash rod holders with upholstery tacks (they are curly-cue tacks that screw into the rat fur). The back window has a free-flowing curtain as the wall is flat.

You can find more of my photos and previous posts by searching "Gilda curtains".
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 012.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #16

Oklahoma
Registry
Wow! Gilda, that is a lot of great information!

I do like the image of your window with both the blind and curtains.

Do I understand correctly that you change the curtains often?

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 12-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Kai, the use of inexpensive fleece blankets for window curtains sounds interesting. My wife made some small throw blankets out of bulk fleece several years ago. Our cat has claimed one!

It's very warm material and should block out the light for my afternoon nap!

Another great idea...

Bill
Hi, Bill Nolen, Thanks...it did seem like an idea for keeping it a little warmer inside...and for keeping the window coverings off my shoulders when leaning against the back cushions to read...or whatever, since the walls let the curtains hang a bit forward if they're the loose-bottom kind. And I wanted them OUT of the way while traveling...and when inside I wanted the most possible glass exposed to counter a slight sense of claustrophobia...

Your cat having a special blanket--oh, yes. Our 2 pug girls love their fleece blankets, doggy coats, beds, our fleece throws at home; hope they don't start fixating on the roll-down fleece curtains. If I had a Scamp with rat fur, I'd have been able to just make the panels and stich some small Velcro pieces to the curtain corners and press them up...then fold them back against the walls without the rods at all, probably, though I'd worry about causing the rat fur to get "fuzzy" over time with use...
And the possibility of the "microfiber" towels or fabrics that stick to the rat fur by themselves...that'd be something I'd play with...imagine those possibilities! But our amerigo will have "hard-surface" walls inside, so that's out.
Thanks again, no one besides Paul has seen the one finished curtain panel and the compliment was warming. It seemed a far cry from the "glamping" curtains with the semi-sheer centers and color-coordinated side panels--very nice looking, and my idea was just so different I kind of wondered if it would seem somehow too odd...I feel better about it now. And it will get them "out of the way." AND add warmth at night, though all curtains help that way to one level or another.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have owned the Scamp since 2011. Since then, I have "themed" our trips indoors and out. The current themes include The Southwest/American Indian, Autumn Leaves, Wine Country, Red, White and Blue and Seashore. I am working on The Alps, 1950's and Alaska. I do change out the curtain panels for most trips to reflect the destination and I have small accessories to boot. It really has been a lot of fun for me.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
We have owned the Scamp since 2011. Since then, I have "themed" our trips indoors and out. The current themes include The Southwest/American Indian, Autumn Leaves, Wine Country, Red, White and Blue and Seashore. I am working on The Alps, 1950's and Alaska. I do change out the curtain panels for most trips to reflect the destination and I have small accessories to boot. It really has been a lot of fun for me.
It sounds so fun! Looking forward to the day when we can have fun with ours...
Old 12-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #20

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
I've been considering making new curtains for our trailer. The factory-supplied ones, although good for blocking light, came with a bit of Velcro on the bottoms to tack to the rat fur to secure them...and I actually cut if off. I found that it did pull on the rat fur whenever I opened the curtains. Nasty! So much so that in some spots, spots from curtains in spots where I opened/closed them more often, I had to trim the rat fur "pulls" with scissors to make them less obvious. I am undecided how I will secure the next curtains but I will have to do something---having them dangle, as they do because of the curvature of the shell, is annoying me when I sleep.
I like the magnet ideas. And the bungee cording.

And...then I have to decide on the fabric. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote