Window shades or curtains? - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Window shades or curtains?

I'm getting close to the point that I will need to buy or make some window curtains for my 1978 Scamp 13. With past RV's I have also installed Venetian blinds.

However, the other day I saw some photos posted several years ago that showed roll-up blinds installed on a small fiberglass trailer. Now, of course, I can't re-locate those photos.

# 1. Can anyone know ofa source for such short roll-up blinds for the side windows, and wide-short roll-up blinds for the front and back windows of a Scamp 13?

#2. Has anyone use something crazy to make curtains? Like bath-towels, bathing suits (just kidding!) Just anything different that you liked!

All comments will be appreciated......

Bill

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
My wife made curtains for our Boler. Because of the curve of the egg, the curtains leave some privacy concerns around the sides of the windows and at the bottom so I am going to install curtain rods at the bottom as well so they stay up close to the window rather than hang straight down.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
I dislike the ugly and noisy blinds in our Casita, but they do have an advantage over curtains. In hot weather you can close them enough to get privacy while still getting good air circulation. If you use air conditioning I guess it's not an issue, but we run solar exclusively so that's not an option.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Bill, we had curtains in both of our Scamps, but our Lil Snoozy came with the Venetian blinds. I didn't care for these, so I purchased vinyl room darkening shades from Wal-Mart. You simply cut to fit width and length. I keep the sides close to the walls by using magnets. I used VHB double stick tape to secure one set of magnets to the aluminum window frames, and when the shades are pulled down, I place another set of magnets on the shades over each taped magnet........works like a charm. I did try to to use fabric (in place of the vinyl) on the spring loaded roll-up shank for"glamping", but the material let in to much light.
Best of luck in your quest.
Dave & Paula
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #5

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
These aren't noisy. They don't hang awkwardly. Not sure how you would retrofit.
Attached Thumbnails
Blinds.jpg  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Registry
Johnny, John, Dave, and Glenn, thank you very much for your comments!

Several good ideas in the comments that I will attempt to use. There is so much good information on this forum, and thank goodness the members are willing to share!

Thank you again,

Bill
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
I agree with Ziggy about the advantage of Venetian blinds. In our Trillium Jubilee we have lots of windows and they are almost all full Jalousies. This gives the benefit of lots of air flow on hot nights that would be obstructed by the solid type blind or curtains.
Whilst they aren't as 'pretty' as well matched and well made curtains they are more 'neutral' and less obtrusive which is an added feature in my mind in the mostly small environment of our FG eggs.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #8

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
David B ... could you post pictures of your shades? Thank you. I would also love to see pictures of anyone else's solutions - either shades or curtains!
Susan J. - NC
Old 12-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Have been waiting for a photo to input, it's not going to be soon at this point...so I'll try to describe what I'm doing.
Bought some fleece "throw" blankets at IKEA for $2.98 each. I'm folding them in half and cutting them two inches wider (roughly) than the span between the curtain rod brackets. I'll screw the rods into the brackets after slipping a casing of fabric over the rod, with a Velcro tab or two sewn at the top edge. In the hem, which is at the fold, I made another casing where I'll put two industrial magnets inside with stitching to keep them from slipping into the wrong places, and with more velcro so I can remove them for washing. The panel will be just larger than the window edges, and I'll put two metal washers with flat-headed screws below the window for the magnets to catch. Rolled down, they'll be double-sided, fleece panels. Rolled up, which we'll do by hand, they'll be a neat roll above each window, held by the Velcro tab. I hope they'll stay in place during travel, and I'm sure they'll stay in place with the magnets in use. I finished the panel for the door window, and it looks good both ways; taut when the magnets are pulling it down, and neat when rolled up. Color--white background with a large, light gray abstract line. Hoping for a few r-factors of insulation...maybe as much as 2! On hot nights, we can just leave them up, maybe. May need another strategy for really hot weather.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
We made new curtains for our older Scamp. I solved the privacy problem by sticking velcro hooks on the bottom and sticking the curtains to the rat fur.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Kai, the use of inexpensive fleece blankets for window curtains sounds interesting. My wife made some small throw blankets out of bulk fleece several years ago. Our cat has claimed one!

It's very warm material and should block out the light for my afternoon nap!

Another great idea...

Bill
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
We made new curtains for our older Scamp. I solved the privacy problem by sticking velcro hooks on the bottom and sticking the curtains to the rat fur.
Sheryl M., does the velcro hooks tend to pull the rat fur from the wall?

Bill
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Sheryl M., does the velcro hooks tend to pull the rat fur from the wall?

Bill
It does not. I used the small 1/2" velcro squares, and stuck the hook side along the bottom and corners of the curtain every few inches. It was enough "stick" to hold the curtain to the wall, but was easy enough to pull off when we wanted the curtains open.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
It does not. I used the small 1/2" velcro squares, and stuck the hook side along the bottom and corners of the curtain every few inches. It was enough "stick" to hold the curtain to the wall, but was easy enough to pull off when we wanted the curtains open.
Thank you Sheryl M.!

Bill