Window still leaks?! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Window still leaks?!

Hi All,

Has anyone ever had issue with leaky windows even after removing and resealing with butyl tape? I've removed and resealed twice..
The rear window on our 86' BF has a stubborn leak and I'm beginning to think the actual glass in frame is the issue. Anyone with experience and advice?

Thanks!
Bluebamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It is possible you have plugged scuppers in the lower channel. If the scuppers are blocked by debris the water will build up and overflow the lower channel. Mine had this problem, and once cleaned worked properly.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

British Columbia
Hmm? I'll check that out. Thanks Russ!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebamboo View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone ever had issue with leaky windows even after removing and resealing with butyl tape? I've removed and resealed twice..
The rear window on our 86' BF has a stubborn leak and I'm beginning to think the actual glass in frame is the issue. Anyone with experience and advice?

Thanks!
Michael, if the rear window does not slide, like my 81 Bigfoot, then it does not have a drainage hole at the bottom. I butyl taped my window then as an extra precaution I then used a high performance sealant on top of the butyl tape as well as along the weatherstripping on the window. it's used to leak but now no problem. As mentioned in the previous post, if it does have a drainage hole, there might be the problem unless it is cleaned. If you find it still leaks, then the window and frame would have to be removed as well as all the weatherstripping then apply window sealant on the frame, put the glass on the sealant, put the weatherstripping back then butyl tape, then more sealant as described above....hope this helps. My local boat store has a very good sealant which I used on the frame before putting the glass back unto the frame. The weatherstripping was a chore getting it back in place, though.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #5

British Columbia
You're correct Jim-the window does not slide. Thanks for the tips. I think that sealing over the butyl tape and weather strip/glazing bead may be a good option...the thought of removing for a 3rd time and then essentially rebuilding the unit sounds like quite a hassle. Cheers!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

British Columbia
Smile Window Still Leaks

Michael, here is a pic of the black Sika, Sikaflex 291 sealant that I used on the frame prior to putting the glass in place. It is a fast cure marine sealant, available from marine stores. For sealant around the butyl tape and weatherstripping my local rv shop recommended Proflex RV Flexible Sealant and I find it is a very high grade sealant, which remains somewhat flexible. I will use it on the belly band as well, when I get around to it. I first masked around both edges, then caulked, then ran my finger around the sealant to give a smooth appearance, then immediatley removed the tape.

Instead of removing the window again, perhaps you may just want to use the Proflex sealant around the butyl tape as well as the weatherstripping first to see if the leak stops....could save you a lot of time, but on the otherhand, it may be a chore to remove the new caulking...decisions, decisions.

BTW, are you on the Island as your profile does not say where u live.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4510.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

British Columbia
Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the photo. As I've already pulled and resealed the majority of the windows, the thought of just 'patching over' one window and not having it fixed correctly is looking like less of an option...like you said-decisions, decisions You mentioned you're going to reseal the belly band as well? Can I ask why you would wish to do that? My understanding is that the top half of the unit fit over the bottom half creating a good seal. Is this incorrect? Are you sealing it as a precautionary measure or is it leaking?

I'm in the Comox Valley.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebamboo View Post
Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the photo. As I've already pulled and resealed the majority of the windows, the thought of just 'patching over' one window and not having it fixed correctly is looking like less of an option...like you said-decisions, decisions You mentioned you're going to reseal the belly band as well? Can I ask why you would wish to do that? My understanding is that the top half of the unit fit over the bottom half creating a good seal. Is this incorrect? Are you sealing it as a precautionary measure or is it leaking?

I'm in the Comox Valley.

Thanks,

Michael
Hi Michael
Yes, I see what you mean when you do not want to do a half a.. job....might as well do it correctly and be done with it as that is what I would do.
As far as the belly band goes, the caulking is starting to peel away and I will just remove all of it and put in the new caulking. No, it is not leaking, but it is time to replace the caulking.
Nice to hear that you are so close by...perhaps some of us fibreglass rigs can get together in the summer. I have volunteered for the Duncan Sunfest (country music festival) and have also submitted my name for the VI Music Fest in Courtenay and am waiting for a reply to see if I am accepted. If you are interested in any of these two events, pm me as Duncan Sunfest is still looking for volunteers. Have a good day, Jim
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #9

British Columbia
Hi Jim,

Yes, VI Music Fest always seems to have a great line up.

BTW- Your reno looks amazing The white really brightens it up...maybe next on my list.

Thanks for the tips!

Michael

Tags
leaks