Window to replace stove vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We are new to trailering after having a motorhome for many years. We decided on a 17'SD Casita and are anxiously awaiting our pickup date. We have read both the Club and Trailer Forums and found this one to be the most helpful. In the near future, we want to remove the stove vent and put in a window. Someone told me the much older Casitas originally had this setup but noone seems to have a photo or measurements.
This group seems the most dedicated to refurbishing units and I hope you can help us.
Happy travels!
PatandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #2

We are new to trailering having had a motorhome for several years and really needed to downsize. We ordered a 17'SD Casita with pickup in October. We really, really want to replace the stove vent with a window but cannot find anyone who did this particular mod.
From what we have read, the much older Casitas at one time had a window which was the same one used in the bathroom, just turned sideways.
Would appreciate any and all help about putting a window in.
Happy trails to all!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Appears I've seen more Casita's WITH kitchen windows than those without... Surely Casita can give you some pointers. I know they put them in at time of manufacturing. I have both in my Scamp. We need all the help we can get to move the condensation OUT of the trailer here in the Pacific NorthWET.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Scamp has done likewise; some come with a stove vent and some (mine) come with a small radius-corner crank-out window. Likewise the door, some have a slide-up window (mine) and some have a fixed window. I find these two windows to be especially useful in winter to provide a cross-flow of outside air for my unvented heater, plus the stove window and fantastical fan handle cooking smoke and condensation easily.

I dunno what the Casita vent arrangement is, but for a window I would go to a local RV store and check their monster catalog for a window and grommet of appropriate size AND hull thickness.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My '89 Casita came with a small window and a vent. I've looked at the new ones a couple of times and tried to get them to put one in as an option and they wouldn't do it. When I asked why they quite putting them in, the salesman mumbled something about blowing out the flame in the stove. I don't know why they don't put them in the 16's, but the 17's kitchen space in the Freedom and the Spirit is too small, I think they are required to put in the vent now, so leaving it out in lieu of a window is not an option for them . They could do it in the 17' Liberty, though.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
My '89 Casita came with a small window and a vent. I've looked at the new ones a couple of times and tried to get them to put one in as an option and they wouldn't do it. When I asked why they quite putting them in, the salesman mumbled something about blowing out the flame in the stove. I don't know why they don't put them in the 16's, but the 17's kitchen space in the Freedom and the Spirit is too small, I think they are required to put in the vent now, so leaving it out in lieu of a window is not an option for them . They could do it in the 17' Liberty, though.
Suz,
Many thanks for replying! Is there any way you could send a bigger picture of your Casita, inside and out? It would really help us with figuring out what we can do. If there are any other Casitans out there, I'd love to see your pics as well.
Hugs to all
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
http://album.fiberglassrv.com/gallery2/mai...?g2_itemId=1607

This is Suz's '89 (in our Home Page Album), which has the kitchen window Casita used to put in. (Notice it's like the window they still put in the bathrooms, only in the kitchen it's hung horizontally.) It's not very big, but is very useful ... and would not require losing the stove vent. (The kitchen window is the one between the stove and refrigerator vents.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #8

Mary,
You are the absolute greatest! To go through your wonderful photos and find exactly what I needed. I have to admit that I looked at the rest of your album and you really, really need to go into business. They were beautiful!!
Thanks again-Pat
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Shucks, Pat. 'Twarn't nuttin'. I used to have an '89 Casita with the window, and I really liked it. I knew Suz still has hers, and I remembered we had the pic of it in our archive of old Home Page photos.

The album itself is a collection of members' images we've used on our Home Page, almost all of which were gleaned, through the years, from the various posts made to these forums.

But, yes, you are right! The old Home Page photos are a nice group of pics of camping in these molded fiberglass travel trailers!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote