windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Starcraft Star Lite 25RQH
Sorry to have bothered you, problem is fixed. The window's on my 17 ft Boler leak like crazy. I am taking them out one at a time and re caulking each one of them. I got the three small one done with no leaks. Now I have taken the Kitchen window out and cleaned all the previous guk off the side of the trailer and from around the window. When I was putting the window back into the hole in the trailer, I put it against one side and lo and behold, I have a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch gap between the fiberglass and the outside of the window frame at the top corner. I haven't yet put the caulking material on yet. My question is do I try to fill this gap with caulking or do I get some fiberglass patching material and try to close the window opening. HELP !!!!! Yours in Bolering. Jim
Jim Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
My question is do I try to fill this gap with caulking or do I get some fiberglass patching material and try to close the window opening. HELP !!!!! Yours in Bolering. Jim
Sounds like someone replaced the window and didn't do a very good job in getting the correct size. I think most caulk says something about 1/16" to 1/8" fill area. What you're trying to fill is excessive. I'd think you'd want to fix the fiberglass by patching it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Hey Jim, can you post a picture of the problem window?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi jim
I'd fill that if I could. You could re-glass the area {messy] Or can the window go back in at the top of the hole and add some sort of flashing to the opening now at the bottom? Mabee a strip of aluminum which would then look like a part of your frame.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I have a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch gap between the fiberglass and the outside of the window frame at the top corner.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not clear on the nature of this gap. Is it
  1. as if the window opening is too large, so the window doesn't fill the available space, or
  2. as if the wall is not flat, so the window covers the hole but the flange of the window doesn't touch the wall it's covering at that corner?
If it is the first problem... the hole didn't get any bigger, and the window didn't shrink, so I would assume it needs to be re-positioned. Some of the cutouts in trailer shells are quite approximate.

I'm guessing that it is more likely the second situation...

If it is the second problem... the trailer wall is probably not flat, due to distortion over time, and without the retaining ring on the window to pull the fiberglass to the window frame it doesn't fit. It should fit again when the retaining ring is tightened.

If I sight along the surface of my B1700RGH (same model as Jim), I can see that the shape has changed and there is a "bulge" at one corner of the kitchen window... I assume that this window frame (one I have not removed for re-sealing) is holding the fiberglass in its current shape, fighting the tendency for the "wall" to bulge out in the middle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows