Windows need serious cleaning help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Windows need serious cleaning help

Im wondering if anyone else has had this going on! My windows on my rv have what I originally thought was left over adhesive from old window tint! I now know it is not and keep in mind its a fiberglass trailer weather it matters or not relating to this issue remains to be seen it almost looks like water spots however after taking a muratic acid solution on a sponge carefully on glass only followed by soapy water to neutralize did not even phase it What the heck help glass expert I know your out there what are these white spots on my windows?
Snoopwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Is it oxidized fiberglass gelcoat or paint overspray? Not familiar with muriatic acid spot removal, but vinegar is a common hardness remover. If that doesn't work, and your windows are glass, how about some non-scratching cleanser powder and water with a non scratching scrubbing pad.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Arizona
I will try vinegar For sure, pretty sure your right on the oxidation I think the roof has been a little forgotten alittle by previous owners I get it not everyone has scaffolding it makes it easier to maintain the roof/ time to get it any suggestions on a remover compound?
Old 09-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #4

Arizona
Big help Raspy 👍
Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I suggest Comet Cleanser, or equivalent. It is an old school powdered cleanser available in supermarkets and big box stores. It is advertised as "non-scratching". Then those kitchen scrubby pad/sponges that also say "non-scratching".

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Comet contains a mild abrasive, so keep that in mind.

Another substance good on glass is ammonia, Many glass cleaners contain it. More used to. Do not use ammonia around bleach, as they are toxic. Comet or similar scouring powders could contain bleach, so rinse them off first. The fumes from ammonia should be well ventilated.

An old favorite to clean glass is wadded up newspapers with ammonia.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
how about a single edge razor blade?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I had what sounds like the same spotting all over my windows, thought it might be from cleaning a lot of stains the trailer got on it with Simple Green. A few weeks back I took a paste of Comet to the windows, rubbed in good and rinsed off well. Then used RainX, also rubbed in good, came out pretty darn good, removed something like 90% of the spotting.

Time will tell how long it lasts.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Comet is great but abrasive. I would try gentle cleaners first, especially ones listed for glass. It's a crap shoot when you don't know what you are trying to remove from the surface. My favorites are gel gloss, Krud kutter, Goof Off Pro Strength (Quite nasty but listed for fiberglass and glass) , maybe magic eraster, maybe bar keepers friend ( becareful with that one and read directions, may etch but listed for fiberglass and anodized aluminum if used carefully). Maybe some of the cleaners for glass cook tops.

Also some of the scrubbing bubbles for either bathroom or kitchen might work.

Good Luck!
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #10

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Test everything inconscipious sport first.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IF the windows are etched, nothing is going to remove the spots, except an expert glazier that can polish glass, it wouldn't be cheap. You might TRY the liquid/paste used to clean glass-top stoves.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
The guys who clean my windows in my home use liquid dish detergent and a very fine steel wool. They tell me glass is actually porous and dirt adheres to the surface grooves. That's the reason why you can get a haze using plain window sprays. The dirt just gets smeared around on the glass. I've used this method on my cars windshield and it's a miracle! Thank goodness for those pros! Good luck
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
The guys who clean my windows in my home use liquid dish detergent and a very fine steel wool. They tell me glass is actually porous and dirt adheres to the surface grooves. That's the reason why you can get a haze using plain window sprays. The dirt just gets smeared around on the glass. I've used this method on my cars windshield and it's a miracle! Thank goodness for those pros! Good luck
Fine steel wool is indeed the correct thing to do. Just adding the additional information that the place to find the superfine steel wool it is in the paint department section of your local hardware store.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Just adding the additional information that the place to find the superfine steel wool it is in the paint department section of your local hardware store.
Yep. Sold where they sell sandpaper usually. Get the 0000 (we call it "4 aught").

By the way, it does a great job on wood. I lacquered some cabinetry and doors awhile back that turned out to be a bit too shiny for my liking. Gave them the once over with 0000 steel wool and now the finish is an even satin. On a harder surface like glass, the effect is only to clean.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have had good success using the clay bar used in a clay polishing kit used to polish cars. Only on glass not plastic windows.

Mothers® California Gold® Clay Bar Kit
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
The best way to remove the debris will depend on what it actually is.
Muriatic acid is a solution of hydrochloric and water It is stronger than vinegar, which is a weak solution of acetic acid and water. Both will work for removing metallic salts which are often calcium based and found in "hard water". These metallic salts usually have a rough surface will will trap other debris as well, adding to the stain.
Paint overspray, waxes and road debris often contains hydrocarbons which will require a solvent for removal. Acetone may help. Most automotive vehicle waxes will contain hydrocarbon solvents which will penetrate this debris and trap it in the haze which you will wipe off.
Many abrasive scouring powders contain a fine silica sand. Glass is made from melted silica so these abrasives can scratch the glass.
A scotch pad is made from a plastic polymer. It can physically scrape the debris from glass but isn't hard enough to scratch the surface of the glass.
A single sided razor blade also isn't hard enough to scratch the glass but can be used to scrape debris from its surface.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #17

Arizona
Thank you for your window tips very helpful!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
So, Snoopwagon....did you get the crud off? Which method worked?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
today a new thing

well today I learned how to clean windows! Something new everyday on the fiberglass Rv!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopwagon View Post
...My windows on my rv have what I originally thought was left over adhesive from old window tint! I now know it is not a...it almost looks like water spots ...
Pitting from acid rain perhaps? That can't be cleaned away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I have had good success using the clay bar used in a clay polishing kit used to polish cars. Only on glass not plastic windows.
Yes.. you must know if the window is in fact glass. Not everyone knows that the front window is plastic, and I think some have damaged it by cleaning it as if it was glass. My understanding is that ammonia based window cleaners are bad for the Plexiglas.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote