Windows, windows, windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As far as scratches go... now, I have no personal knowledge if this works... but Alf posted Brasso works to gently remove surface scratches on plexiglass. If the window is in really bad shape, it may be worth trying before automatically spending the money to replace.

Pledge furniture polish works good for surface scratches on plexi

Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Smile Plexiglass and windows

You have a resource right there in Calgary:

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

They should be able to at least give you some good advice...

If you caulk, do not use the dreaded silicone!

Good luck.

Oh, the second thought, they sell kits to restore headlight lenses. Maybe one of them would work. I have seen them for as little as $10.

A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
A good resource for FGRV owners in Calgary is Joe Thoen at International RV . He also stocks most parts for the Trilliums and has the Outback FG trailer plant. They are located at 285145 Wrangler Way SE, Calgary and Phone # is 403-272-3929 Sorry Roger I didn't see your post. Great minds think alike.
When you retire, everyday becomes Saturday!
Owen & Rosemary
Formerly - 14'Dolphin, Looking for another!
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
Name: Matt
Trailer: Boler 1300
I just want to say thanks for all the responses and input. Im working shift work so Im a little slow to respond. Im going to make some calls and see if i can get it done this weekend. Randy I might take you up on the test piece of rubber you've got but I will contact a couple of the places here in Calgary first and see what happens. Thanks again to everyone for all the help
Matt4483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #19
Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
I realize this is an old thread. But I did a search, read a few threads and decided to post on this one instead of starting a new one.

I talked to someone I know tonight. He works in a plexiglass factory. We talked about my Boler's front and back windows. The guy's factory does interior stuff, decorations and office supplies. I could buy plexiglass from where he works, but, without the UV protection, I'm not sure how long it would last. When I told him that I managed to take out my two windows without breaking them, he suggested that I tried buffing them. He uses a buffer and some kind of animal fat at work () and he said it might be worth trying some compound or something.

My old windows have those little very bright horizontal lines in them. They look like they are deep and I'm not sure they'll go away. What do you guys think? I do have some Brasso and Pledge (and I'm sure I can find some sort of animal fat!) so I think I'll try. But I'm still interested in hearing from your experiences.

(Hmmm. Bacon! )
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
As I recall, there is a commercial product used in the aviation industry to restore plexi windows on small aircraft. You could search that.
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #21
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
Google micromesh for aircraft windows.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #22
Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
I would personally recommend Novus polish products.

I use Novus 2 a lot to clean plastics on all my pinball machines and even on the playfields. Most of the plastics I am cleaning are non replaceable (or at least not easily) and Novus does an excellent job. It takes dull, yellowed, dirty plastics of any kind and makes them look perfect or nearly perfect. I usually use Novus 2 to start and then finish with a wipe of Novus 1. I have never had to use Novus 3, as none of the scratches have ever been that deep. If you ask anyone that owns a pinball machine it is the only thing they use because it will not damage the piece you are working in.

Note - a lot of elbow grease is required. A buffer might be in order for such a large surface like a window.

I don't find the Novus products that hard to find but I am usually ordering pinball parts anyway. I believe the products to be readily available on Amazon. They are not cheap but they do work.

stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #23
Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Novus 2 is an excellent product for polishing plastics and plexiglass, I also use it for my pinball machine plastics.

But, I would start with a power buffer (with a foam pad) and a good quality automotive polish (not Turtle wax) for the plexi windows. After that, you could use Novus 2 for the finish polish if needed.
1974 Boler 1300
Manufactured in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
jkmboler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #24
Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
My old windows have those little very bright horizontal lines in them. They look like they are deep and I'm not sure they'll go away. What do you guys think?
There seems to be somewhat of a consensus on polishing... But what about those small, bright, deep horizontal lines? Do they mean that it's pointless to try or, au contraire, that it's worth a shot?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #25
Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
Sylvio, I know when we had a Boler we tried lots of products inluding Novus but discovered our plexiglass looked liked it was almost delaminating inside. There were lots of lines inside that would not come out regardless of what we used on the outside surfaces. Sorry I don't have a picture but if that is what you have they won't polish out. You will know when you start polishing as the outside will be sparkling clear but the 'inside' scratches renain.

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

boler, windows