winter storage - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Triple E TM14 Surfside
I'm in central British Columbia. Winters are snowy and cold. Surfside will be parked on side of house on ashpalt tarmac. Should the trailer be lifted completely off the ground suspending the wheels or will it be ok with some weight on the wheels and jacks a both ends?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #2

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
I'm in central British Columbia. Winters are snowy and cold. Surfside will be parked on side of house on ashpalt tarmac. Should the trailer be lifted completely off the ground suspending the wheels or will it be ok with some weight on the wheels and jacks a both ends?
I have owned many trailers. I have never blocked one. You either put your stablizers down and leave it level, or you could slope it a bit for water run off. I have never had a problem. There is a possibility that if you block it and no weight on wheels that frame could bend. This is only my personal out look on this subject.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Should the trailer be lifted completely off the ground suspending the wheels or will it be ok with some weight on the wheels and jacks a both ends?
I just emailed Dexter to see what they say about taking the weight off the axles for winter storage. I'll post their answer if it's helpful. I'd also like to know how Scamp feels about having their trailer held up at the exteme ends between the bumper jacks and the tongue jack. It's easy to do, but leaves everything to sag in the middle. If I get a chance, I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can get a recommendation.

Parker
Old 09-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I have read a few other post on this subject and what I got from them is not to do it. Let it rest on the ground. Robin
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Here's what we 'plan' to do, at least this season.
We don't use the on board water system so winterizing that is a NON issue.

Our neighbours have opened the door(s) to his shop (in which they store their Trillium and hot rod) for us to store our trailer in with theirs, but here's what I plan to do to ours.

Completely remove everything out of the cupboards that doesn't need to be there, and leave ALL inside cubby hole lids off and doors open. Seat cushions are removed as well as the bed (on rear dinette). Small propane tanks at front of trailer will be removed (for safety sake of the neighbors trailer and hot-rod) but we WILL leave the battery in its box on the tongue and it will have a battery maintainer on it. The trailer will be leveled and slightly raised to ease the load on the axle. I will place a piece of treated 2X12 wood under each tire so as to NOT absorb any moisture (from the concrete floor) into the tires. The curtains will remain hung, parted slightly and all windows left open a titch as will be the air vent.

This 'practice' is basically what I'd do if I were storing the trailer here at home outside but under a shelter, except I'd have a ceramic heater going and close the vent and only leave one window cracked. "Dri-Z-Air" is also known to be used in these parts too, BTW!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
I just emailed Dexter to see what they say about taking the weight off the axles for winter storage. I'll post their answer if it's helpful. I'd also like to know how Scamp feels about having their trailer held up at the exteme ends between the bumper jacks and the tongue jack. It's easy to do, but leaves everything to sag in the middle. If I get a chance, I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can get a recommendation.

Parker
From the Scamp maintenance instructions, available from their website:

" Removing weight from axle

Jack up the axle and block it up to take the weight off the suspension. The tires donít have to be off the ground. Just take the main weight off the axle. Leaving the weight of the trailer on the suspension for extended periods while stored is extremely hard on the torsion axle. The rubber will compress and not relax as fully as before. Relieve tire pressure to 10 or 15 pounds while stored. This will extend your tire life."

I'm playing phone tag with them right now to ask about the best way to support the trailer while doing this. It's probably better to support it near the axle, especially if it's likely someone will be inside it while jacked up; it all depends on what sort of strength they've built into the structure. I'll post whatever I find out.

Parker

Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #7

Okay, just talked with Kent at Scamp. He said it's perfectly okay to support the trailer between the rear bumper jacks and the tongue jack, even when someone is inside. The jacks, and apparenty the structure, are designed for that kind of load. I can still see the advantages of supporting the trailer on jackstands closer to the axle, but this is not something I'm going to fret over.

Parker
Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This statement is subjective:
Quote:
for extended periods while stored
to me that sounds like a year or more, not a season. But then again, that's just me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #9

And this, just in from Dexter, regarding jacking up the trailer for storage:

Yes. Just make sure that you do not jack on the axle.

Rick Kapsa
Product Manager
Dexter Axle Company
Direct: 574-296-7386
Fax: 574-295-1069
rkapsa[at]dexteraxle.com

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Feedback

What would you like to ask our team of experts?

I have a 13' Scamp camper (similar to Casita, Trillium, etc.) with Dexter axle. There is much discussion on the various web sites about jacking the trailer up to take the weight off the axle for winter storage. Do you recommend this practice?

Thanks,
Parker Buckley