winter window insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
winter window insulation

I'm looking for some kind of window insulation that suction cups inside the windows. I know I've seen them before, but I can't find them for the life of me. Do any of you know where I can find these? Or do you have another idea for the windows in winter camping?
brownrecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've seen people apply bubble wrap by wetting the flat side and sticking it to the glass. Of course this is only translucent.

Also this:

Diy Thermo Mat Kit
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Perfect, thank you!
brownrecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Reflectix is a bubble-wrap type product that has mylar-like surface. It is readily available at most hardware stores and is inexpensive. If you cut it to size it can just press into the window frame.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I use the mylar bubble stuff in mine, keeps sun out too (I was on night shift working) you can see it in the window on my hello post.
last winter stayed a lot warmer with it and can sleep in the day.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #6

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrecluse View Post
Or do you have another idea for the windows in winter camping?
How about: buy some 1" or so polyurethane or polyisocyanurate (spelling?) foam sheet and cut a piece to fit each window neatly. Maybe use cardboard to make templates to get the shape exactly right? Unlike blue or pink foam (polystyrene) these foams have higher R value but, more importantly, are very tough so they will withstand being handled repeatedly.

One piece of sticky Velcro at each end should hold them to the window. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could stick fabric to the inside for a nice appearance.

These would be a real nuisance to have lying around the trailer in the day, but that may or may not be much of a disadvantage as days get shorter.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
We use car windshield sunshades. We bought them at the dollar store, cut them to fit, and attached them with velcro. They keep the sun out and insulate (a bit) We use them in the summer on all windows to prevent heat gain. They look OK from outside. Nice and shiney silver
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #8

California
Registry
Attached is a photo of the roll up shades I made for our Scamp out of Roc-Lon black out fabric available at fabric stores such as Joanne's. I sewed a tunnel at the top (by folding the fabric about 2" over) and placed a dowel or curtain rod (a little longer than the length between your curtain rod supports) through it and rested the rod on top of the supports. On the bottom of the shade I doubled the fabric by folding it and sewed 3" tabs of Velcro (only a few are needed) which attach to the "rat fur". The beauty of this shade is that it both blocks out the light and insulates. When not in use I simply roll it up (by hand as there is no spring mechanism). If you are not handy with a sewing machine I'm sure you can find someone who is. This is a simple project.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 009.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 021.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 020.jpg  

Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
There is a light plasic film you can get that attaches just outside the window with peelable tape. The plastic is warmed with a hairdryer and shrinks tight against the window frame. We buy it a the local hardware store and use it on our house windows. Helps keep the drafts out!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #10

California
Registry
I used this shrinking plastic film Shrink Window Kits - Window Shrink Film Kits - Ace Hardware when living in the Boston area and it worked well. Just to clarify, you attach the film on the window frame on the inside of the trailer cabin.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #11

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Yep - that stuff looks familiar. Apologies for being a bit vague about installation - that isn't one of my jobs!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote