Winterizing and Propane Tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ:
Not sure, but I think that's true if you remove the tank and store it at home, too. Your insurer will probably have an issue if you store them in your garage or shed. Fire marshall might, too.

Yes, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
What about my can of gasoline in the garage? What about the paints, solvents, acetone, turpentine? What about my propane and MAP torch cylinders? No.. garages the world over are full of all these things....
Subsequent comments have made me realize that my comment (above) should be expanded upon. The typical propane cylinder (tank) used with RVs should indeed be stored in an open and well ventilated area and not exposed to excessive heat. But that guideline is often not followed and I doubt that an insurance company could deny a claim if it were not.

The primary concern is with a cylinder (tank) that is full or nearly so, and gets warm enough to vent because of the increased pressure. So if your storage location remains cool, that is much less of a concern even if the tank is full or close to it. The only times I have seen propane tanks vent is when they were quite full and set out in the open in a well ventilated area, in direct sunlight on a hot day. I for one have never seen a leaking valve but that is possible.

The bottom line is that one should remember that a propane cylinder (tank) can leak, and will vent if the pressure rises enough. Once it starts leaking or venting, it is very dangerous, particularly in a confined space. I might store propane cylinders (tanks) that are not near full in my garage which stays cooler than outdoors in the summer but that is just for me - a shaded outdoor location would be better. Everyone should plan your storage accordingly regardless of what the insurance company, Fire Marshall or some guy on a forum like myself says.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
What about my can of gasoline in the garage? What about the paints, solvents, acetone, turpentine? What about my propane and MAP torch cylinders? No.. garages the world over are full of all these things.
I will not store gasoline or diesel fuel in my garage. Ever (my Jeep lives outside). With most modern plastic cans, that is really asking for it. Why do you store gas in the garage?

Paint is not really flammable (water base), acetone and paint thinner get treated like gasoline, but at least they are in steel cans and can be inside for projects. Mapp cylinders are inside, but are very safe and low volume. They should be outside, but they generally are inside.

Gasoline is the obvious problem. I have switched to explosion safe steel cans and official NATO cans. They don't vent, but they live outside.

My Oliver is stored in the garage and I leave the propane tanks on it, but turned off. Venting is highly unlikely with the trailer indoors, but not impossible. A forest fire taking out the house is more likely and I've made the house somewhat fire resistant.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #23

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I have stored a propane grill and lawn mower/snowblower gasoline in 2 one gallon plastic cans in my garage for many years. As long as you use some care in placement and don't drive over the grill/can or live in California what is the risk? It does not spontaneously combust. Storing propane in your basement on the other hand seems needlessly risky, though the risk is very small, mostly to firefighters when the cylinders cook off in a fire started from other causes.

My car carries 20 gallons of gasoline in a thin tank subject to all kinds of road hazard damage and rust. I hear of very few that catch fire when parked. I am amazed how few catch fire in collisions. Should cars be stored outside too?

All that said I am a big believer in smoke alarms. My DW sometimes likes to light candles (a leading cause of house fires) and we keep two unattended gas fires burning in our home, eg. Furnace, Water heater. Our alarm sounds off on rare occasion while cooking; but happily never from fire.

On the other hand, my brother in law is zealous in eliminating all risk in his life, except for his Harley or as some call it an "organ donor's machine".

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
tank removal

I don't remove mine I keep mine shut off until I am going to run my wave heater or cook! but I store at home!

Bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
kitchen sink

my garage holds my 2 cars full of gas most of the time I may have up to 20 gals of gas stored in cans there too. Only done it that way for 45 years here on the homestead!

I think sometimes we just worry too much!

bob

a 13f scamper is ridiculous
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane