Winterizing and Propane Tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Winterizing and Propane Tank

I've read that most people remove their propane tank for winter storage. Is this necessary? And why?

My tank is almost empty and I'd rather leave it in place over the winter, covered with the breathable Scamp cover. Just one less chore to do!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
So the tank doesn't get stolen from the storage yard where they keep the trailer.
I don't and I don't know anybody who does remove their propane tanks.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I've read that most people remove their propane tank for winter storage. Is this necessary? And why?

My tank is almost empty and I'd rather leave it in place over the winter, covered with the breathable Scamp cover. Just one less chore to do!
I guess I am not most people as I have never removed a propane tank for winter storage. But I also store at my home, so I don't worry about theft.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
My propane tank stays on the trailer all year and thru Wisconsin's Winter. Theft is the only reason I think valid, but tanks are pretty cheap and hard to fence so I wonder if there is real risk.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ditto here. Stays on all winter. And yes, I live in a corner of AZ that has a real winter.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
My propane tank stays on the trailer all year and thru Wisconsin's Winter. Theft is the only reason I think valid, but tanks are pretty cheap and hard to fence so I wonder if there is real risk.
I found my tank missing twice before trips. Should have remembered sooner that it was me that was the thief that stole it for the BBQ. Do agree with you John, a LP tank is a very low risk unless you're grilling .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Some indoor storage places may not allow combustibles.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I took mine out last winter. Two 20 lb. tanks. But that was just to install the new 30 lb. tanks.

It might be better for the valve O rings to leave the tanks in place, rather than pull them out. I've had some of those crack and begin to leak, but other than that, propane can sit for many years, in all sorts of weather, and be just fine.

For winterizing, or any period of non use, just shut off the tank valves.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #9

Name: Dick
Trailer: in the market
Rhode Island
Propane

Leave mine on all winter...Stored at home...
vector1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #10

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
If your going to remove the tank remember to cap the connector going to the regulator. Small cutter wasps find them very inviting for there nests and there hard to clean out. I have several types of outdoor propane cooking equipment. If I remove the tank for a couple of weeks without capping the connector I some times end up removing the connector from the regulator to clean the screen because some of the nest fragments get pushed through when removing it from the connector. Of course this is the San Joaquin Valley of California where we have some insect activity year round.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Ditto here. Stays on all winter. And yes, I live in a corner of AZ that has a real winter.
"REAL" Winter? how cold and how long? Where I grew up we had nine months of winter, and three months of "hard sledding"
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Real winter?

I cry mercy, Wayne! Let's just call it a 2-cord winter. Enough to require winterization of RV plumbing. Enough to support a 4-month ski season an hour away. Enough to make me appreciate spring and summer. Enough to grow apples, but not peaches.

In other words, just enough. Upper Midwestern winters... you can keep 'em!

I love it that I can ski one day and hike in shorts and t-shirt the next, depending on which direction I drive!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post

No reason to remove unless you are storing in a lot. Have never removed a tank in 34 years in our yard. Always turn off tank when not in use to keep pressure off of hoses.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I never remove mine but I do close the valves on the tank in case of a hose leak.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Some indoor storage places may not allow combustibles.
Not sure, but I think that's true if you remove the tank and store it at home, too. Your insurer will probably have an issue if you store them in your garage or shed. Fire marshall might, too.

Yes, no?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not sure, but I think that's true if you remove the tank and store it at home, too. Your insurer will probably have an issue if you store them in your garage or shed. Fire marshall might, too.

Yes, no?
What about my can of gasoline in the garage? What about the paints, solvents, acetone, turpentine? What about my propane and MAP torch cylinders? No.. garages the world over are full of all these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
No reason to remove unless you are storing in a lot. Have never removed a tank in 34 years in our yard. Always turn off tank when not in use to keep pressure off of hoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I never remove mine but I do close the valves on the tank in case of a hose leak.
It almost goes without saying that the valve on propane cylinders should be off when the propane is not in use. My regulator starting leaking on my last trip (only 25 months old). Good thing that leak was outside so the concentration of gas did not get high enough to ignite before I discovered the leak and closed the valve.

As for removing the tank, a few reasons to do it:
1. If the trailer is stored outside, uncovered, tank will rust faster.
2. Is there a risk of theft or vandalism. Theft is rare since the value is so low, but I really don't want someone messing with the propane around my trailer.
3. To get it filled for next season. Since I have never emptied a tank in one season, I just move it to my grill at home, and put a filled tank on the trailer in the spring.

Those are minor reasons and if they do not apply, then leave it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #17

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
All about Propane

Propane (C3H8), otherwise known as LPG, is a form of liquid petroleum formed through natural gas processing and petroleum refining. Propane is also a combustible hydrocarbon-based fuel with a high-octane rating of 105 (R + M). It’s naturally colorless and odorless, but it is odorized for safety reasons to indicate the presence of gas in air, down to a concentration of 0.4 percent. This requires adding 1.0 lbs of ethyl mercaptan, or 1.0 lbs of thiophane, or 1.4 lbs of amyl mercaptan per 10,000 of liquefied petroleum gas.

It’s a popular fuel for two key reasons. First, it has a high energy density. Compared to gasoline, the energy content of LPG is 74 percent. It gives off a large amount of heat, roughly 92,000 BTUs per gallon of propane. Second, it has low vapor pressure, unlike methane. This means propane can be compressed into a liquid state at around 140 psi at room temperature, reducing its volume by a factor of 270 for easy storage. At normal pressures and temperatures above -44F, however, propane remains in its gaseous form.

Read more by clicking here
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
It is illegal to store filled propane cylinders inside because it is a pressurized containment and should the containment fail the gas that leaks out has the capacity to form a flammable mixture in air that can ignite/explode. That's also why most indoor parking garages will not allow entry to propane fueled vehicles unless they have detection and ventilation systems are designed for this purpose.
Smaller propane cylinders, such as those used for torches etc., are permissible because they lack sufficient volume to generate this flammable mixture within the volume of the storage facility.
Oil-based paints and solvents are designed with a high enough flash point as to be NOT able to evaporate at a sufficient rate to generate flammable mixtures.
The flash point of gasoline is low enough to generate a flammable mixture with air due to evaporation. That is why it must be stored in "approved" containers which will contain the vapors produced.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #19

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I look at the pod at the front of my "Lil" BigFoot 13+ feet. I feel I should put a lock on it but, I hate to see one in place. Glenn I read your question often about " What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone ?" It seems it will still be there. One just can't see it anymore.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just want people to think about the hole, before they get out the drill.

Tags
propane