Winterizing Scamp according to Scamp directions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
Emb

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft. F-150
Michigan
I have been searching for the hot water shutoff valve, can someone describe it's location in the 16 foot Scamp.
Emb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emb View Post
I have been searching for the hot water shutoff valve, can someone describe it's location in the 16 foot Scamp.
While the water heater may vary with layout, the inlet is always on the inboard side of the water heater and the valve is typically in the inlet line. which is "T'd" off of the cold water line.
If you water heater is inside the rear dinette bench you just have to look straight down behind the water and you will see it. If it is an atypical installation for some reason, simply trace the line out from the inlet to find the shutoff valve.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I want to thank everyone here who posted. We just got our first trailer with a complete plumbing system, two sinks, toilet, shower, w/h, black and gray tanks, and supply tank. I've come to the conclusion that I didn't know what I didn't know. It's all a little overwhelming.

As someone here said; this is a twice a year process for us that have to winterize, then flush the system when snowbirding down south, re-winterize before returning north, and finally flush again before our summer camping. I expect to be a lot further along the learning curve this time next year!

Floyd, you're always looking for topics to discuss at Scamp Camp in Highland Hammocks S.P. in FL. I would benefit greatly from a class on "Winterizing Your Scamp". I'm sure others would benefit from a good discussion on that topic as well, because there seem to be as many methods as there are members. This might be a good class to give at a trailer, pointing out valves, drains, etc. instead of a general discussion at the picnic table.

At the risk of offending anyone by leaving their name out, I think I learned a little from everyone who posted on this thread. Good topic, timely, and much needed! Thx again

Tom
That's a great idea, we could even do it as a separate seminar. I was going to do a bearing repack last year but the guy who requested it didn't make it down.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Good deal. Thanks Floyd. Looking forward to it.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emb View Post
Its not a hot water shut off exactly.. it does not shut off the hot water. It shuts off the cold water supply to the water heater. At least that is what I have been talking about today...

The shutoff valve in my 2015 model (with ProPex pipe) is the white thing on the blue pipe in the lower center of this photo. If your Scamp was built before they started using the Uponor ProPex pipe, then it will look different. Or it might not even be there at all. But as mentioned, if there is one, it will be somewhere on the inlet side where you can get to it.
Attached Thumbnails
WaterHeaterShutoff.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:27 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Michigan
I'm having trouble locating the hot water inlet valve on my 1990. Can you tell me what I'm looking for? I stuck my head under and followed water lines and don't see anything that looks like a valve.
UP Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I just pour about 3 gal of AF in the fresh tank and run it through the hot and cold faucets. When i see pink coming out of both hot and cold and toilet, i stop and fill the drain p traps in sink and shower. done. You do not have to fill the HW heater all the way for AF to flow through it. that is the way i have done for the past three years and no problems here in PA. There usually is some AF left in the very bottom of fresh tank. I flush everything out in the spring a couple of times. AF was $2.54 a gal. for three gal. it was $8.21 with tax. Small price to pay once a year, for me anyway.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Check the photo below. My valve handle is "inline" when it's on and difficult to spot if you dont know where it's at. This photo shows it's in the "bypass" position. (This is if you're looking for the "bypass" valve.) My Scamp has no other hand-operated valve except for the fresh water tank drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP Steve View Post
I'm having trouble locating the hot water inlet valve on my 1990. Can you tell me what I'm looking for? I stuck my head under and followed water lines and don't see anything that looks like a valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Atwood WH Valve.JPG  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #29

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Its not a hot water shut off exactly.. it does not shut off the hot water. It shuts off the cold water supply to the water heater. At least that is what I have been talking about today...

The shutoff valve in my 2015 model (with ProPex pipe) is the white thing on the blue pipe in the lower center of this photo. If your Scamp was built before they started using the Uponor ProPex pipe, then it will look different. Or it might not even be there at all. But as mentioned, if there is one, it will be somewhere on the inlet side where you can get to it.

Interesting, my 2015 Scamp has a bypass valve for the WH. I don’t have a picture handy but it looks similar to yours Gordon, except there are inline valves on each the red and blue lines and a short cross connect line with another inline valve. Mine was built in March 2015.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #30

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That's a great idea, we could even do it as a separate seminar. I was going to do a bearing repack last year but the guy who requested it didn't make it down.
Maybe it would be a good idea to do this kind of seminar at the LBL rally
in early October .... just before many of us are needing to think about
the whole winterization process?

I was very interested in Dave's/Radar1's description of the "blow-out" method.
I had heard of using that process but, I'd never seen a good detailed
description of that method.

It sure would be nice to find a way to actually clear any water from the
12 volt pump without running the pink antifreeze through through that
pump ..... maybe some very light air pressure in the fresh water tank
while running the 12v pump?

Of course, to get even light air pressure in the fresh water tank might
mean temporarily blocking off any overflow and tank drain outlets?
I wonder if the newest Scamp fresh water inlet fitting might make this
easier? (see attached picture of the newest fresh water inlet.)

This whole winterization/de-winterization thing is even more problematic
for those who repeatedly travel (in the winter months) from colder climates
to warmer climates and then back to colder climates again .....
all the while using (or trying to use) their 12 gallon fresh water tank
and/or the city water connection.

Winterizing once a year and de-winterizing once a year would seem
to be a far less arduous requirement.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh_water_fill_new-style.jpg  
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Interesting, my 2015 Scamp has a bypass valve for the WH. I don’t have a picture handy but it looks similar to yours Gordon, except there are inline valves on each the red and blue lines and a short cross connect line with another inline valve. Mine was built in March 2015.
Well that IS interesting! Not sure offhand when mine was built but I picked it up in Sept 2015 so it was built about the same time.

You are the original owner?

(Wondering why I would be short-changed)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp