winterizing without power to the pump - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
winterizing without power to the pump

Can I manually put rv antifreeze into my system with the pump not working? I have an electrical problem (another post for that)....which won't allow me to push antifreeze through the whole system and pump. Can I manually get it through by plunging it up through the sink from the holding tank? We have only had some minor below freezing periods here in Ohio and I want to be sure I am protected before we get a deep freeze. I have a small 13ft. Trillium, no bathroom. Thanks, Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I don't see how. You have to displace the water that is present and that requires pressure. I would suggest removing the pump. That's the easiest solution. Another possibility is to apply power directly to the pump, bypassing the converter. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
Can I manually put rv antifreeze into my system with the pump not working? I have an electrical problem (another post for that)....which won't allow me to push antifreeze through the whole system and pump. Can I manually get it through by plunging it up through the sink from the holding tank? We have only had some minor below freezing periods here in Ohio and I want to be sure I am protected before we get a deep freeze. I have a small 13ft. Trillium, no bathroom. Thanks, Lloyd
I don't know your system. Can you disconnect the wires to the pump and perhaps connect them to a small battery from a garden tractor, motorcycle, etc. I would try to use the pump and flush the system with antifreeze (safe type).

I also don't understand why you would plung up through the sink from the holding tank. Why not just pour some antifreeze down the sink into the holding tank?

If your pump is not working, I guess you could attach a hose to the ouput hose of the pump then attach a funnel onto the other end and pour antifreeze into the funnel. If the funnel is high enough the antifreeze will push itself through the system slowly and come out the open sink faucet. I do this on some of my equipment which is pumpless.

Can you clarify?

thanks.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I thought most water pumps were 12 volt and ran off the house battery.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Isolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
Your fresh (potable) water system is isolated from your waste water system for obvious reasons so plunging the sink does no good . Is it possible to disconnect the piping on the suction side of your water pump , connect an air compressor to the piping and blow the water from the potable water lines
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You can buy a manual pump and hook it up to your fresh water intake. Here is one Camco 36003 RV Hand Pump Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 11-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I thought most water pumps were 12 volt and ran off the house battery.
Most systems use 12v pumps. Lloyd said there was an trailer electrical problem not a pump problem. I use a motorcycle battery on my towable weed sprayer (same type pump as Scamp trailer) and it will last for a few hours continuous run time, enough to spray the lawn anyway. It should only take a few minutes to winterize the trailer system. I was thinking rather than moving the big house battery nearer to the pump (to bypass the electrical problem) some other smaller 12v source could be used which has enough amperage output.

My pump is actually wired up to the inverter 12 volt terminal strip. The strip is then hooked up to the battery on the tongue.

It is really easy to connect wires to the pump on my trailer.

Anyway - a manual pump would work too.

Regards.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can buy a manual pump and hook it up to your fresh water intake. Here is one Camco 36003 RV Hand Pump Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
I have one of those and it works pretty well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Might try this. First drain all your water out. Then...You could interrupt that water feed hose going into the pump with a T-valve and a hose feeding from your jug of antifreeze. You turn on the pump and instead of sucking water from your (empty) tank is sucks antifreeze throughout the system. When the faucets run pink your job is done.

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
winteriz1a.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is exactly what the E-Z Winterizing system does, good job Myron. On my Escape 19 there was little room next to the pump for any modification. This set up is quick and easy and you can even use the toilet ICOAE...
Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #11

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I am considering adding a drain valve behind the toilet as an extra precaution. Just realized, LLoyd--you said ...you had an electrical problem, are you saying no working pump, a dead pump? --or no electricity available to run a pump?? Have to agree reliance on a plunger to suck fluids through all them turns and traps is a non starter.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #12

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Camping World sells an adapter that allows you to hook up an air compressor to your city water hookup. Air pressure must be below 40 pounds. At the Bigfoot Fairmount rally the factory representatives recommended blowing the lines out for at least 20 minutes. I can't stand the taste of the RV antifreeze so I used to suck up just enough antifreeze to protect the water pump. Now I blow air into the antifreeze pick up hose for the water pump to protect the pump. I much prefer this method otherwise it takes forever to get rid of the bad taste of the anti freeze. Apparently there is some anti freeze with no bad taste but I not been able to find it any where. We camp year round so it is not uncommon for me to winterize my Bigfoot numerous times a season. I always camp with a full water tank so if it is below freezing my furnace must be on to protect my water tanks. When winterizing just remember to add anti freeze to the sink traps and make sure to remember to blow water out of all your lines especially your toilet. In winter I keep the protected valves (inside the wall)for the outside shower turned off. When winterizing I keep the drain plug for the water heater out. I have my own trailer dump so winterizing can be done in under an hour. The factory also said that if you are on well water to try to fill your tank with "city" chlorinated water a couple of times a year to prevent things from growing in your water tank.
jeffc is offline   Reply With Quote