Wire Gauge For Interior use? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #15

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
Sorry Dana, Darwin is right. He simply used the non scientific version of why we do not use DC in our homes today and it is because the Westinghouse AC could be changed (Inverse Proportional) and transported over vast distances with minimum loss.

That is how they described it on the Discovery channel.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
"....The real reason why we have AC at the house is that it has historically been much easier and cheaper to convert high voltage AC to "reasonable" house voltage than it is to convert a similar high voltage DC to that same DC voltage....."

Just for the trivia buffs.

The reason we have AC in our homes as opposed to DC is because Nicolai Tesla's AC approach was selected over Thomas Edison's DC approach when Manahattan, New York was electrified.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
OBTW

The reason we use stranded wire as opposed to solid is because the electron flow is on the surface of the wire and stranded wire has a cumulative larger surface for the same total diameter wire.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 AM   #18

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Quote:
"....The real reason why we have AC at the house is that it has historically been much easier and cheaper to convert high voltage AC to "reasonable" house voltage than it is to convert a similar high voltage DC to that same DC voltage....."

Just for the trivia buffs.

The reason we have AC in our homes as opposed to DC is because Nicolai Tesla's AC approach was selected over Thomas Edison's DC approach when Manahattan, New York was electrified.
And the reason Tesla's AC approach was chosen over DC was because at that time the only way to transform high-voltage low-current DC was with a motor-generator set, while with AC a transformer was used. Transformers are lighter and cheaper than motor-generator sets. Also they have no moving parts, so they required much less maintenance than motor-generator sets.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #19

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Quote:
OBTW

The reason we use stranded wire as opposed to solid is because the electron flow is on the surface of the wire and stranded wire has a cumulative larger surface for the same total diameter wire.
You are referring to what is known as the "skin effect" -- something that becomes important at radio frequencies. At 60Hz the effect is negligible, thus houses are commonly wired with solid-conductor wiring.

The power company's feeds to the house, as well as the wires on the power poles are stranded, because they are flexed by wind and even birds. House wiring is buried inside the walls and normally does not experience any flexion.

In a like manner, appliance cords and anything else we plug into outlets has stranded wire cords because flexibility is important -- more important than the increased cost of using stranded wire as contrasted to solid.

I don't even want to think about using a vacuum cleaner that has a solid-wire cord!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I don't even want to think about using a vacuum cleaner that has a solid-wire cord!
I don't even want to think about using a vacuum cleaner, period!!!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 2002 Ford Ranger 4WD Xcab
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Ford
Hi all,

Not been here for a while and couldn't remember how to post a new topic but discovered I could reply to a previous question about wiring. I have a circa 1977 Scamp (nver could find the VIN on the frame, maybe its not even there anymore) and am in urgent need of assistance in figuring out the 12V wiring from the truck to the tail lamps. I'm trying to attach two bitmap images to illustrate my problem. The essential problem is that I can't tell how the tail lamps are supposed to be corrected. I have the wiring schematic diagram from Scamp and the internal wiring in my trailer (all the colors) seem correct.

OK, from the back of the truck:
I think I have the correct connection from the four-pin outlet spliced into the Bargman harness (this was already done by a previous owner and all the lights worked OK before I tried to replace the tail lamps). I traced all connections inside and now have both left side marker lights working. The right side markers don't work and now neither do the tail lamps. I am assumng the tail lamps are not wired correctly.

The new Scamp-bought tail lamps are different from the old-style ones I needed to replace. The new tail lamps from the outside have a red wire for backup lights (I don't need these and don't even know if they'll work with the four pin setup); a green and a black wire coming from the light for running lights/turn signals/brakes, and i believ each bulb has a white wire coming out.

While I understand the internal wiring for connecting side marker lights (green and white) I am completely at a loss as to which Scamp wires need to be connected to the tail lamp wires. I believe that the red Scamp wire goes to the left tail lamp and the brown Scamp wire goes to the right tail lamp.

I'm supposed to take my dughter camping next week so I am hoping someone can help me out here. Thanks in advance.

PS if i can't get the wiring diagram images to upload, maybe someone would let me email them directly??
Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #22

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
email me at: macdojd2003[at]yahoo.com

Joe