Wireing solar regulator, conflict with converter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Wireing solar regulator, conflict with converter?

I just finished wireing up most of my converter and everything works. I have the battery temperarily next to the converter and have not run the long line outside to the front yet, or frame ground the 12v side. So far I have the main 30 amp service line coming in with a ground to trailer frame off of this.

When I asked about grounding on a previous post, it was noted that I should have a ground off the trailer frame on the 120v side and the 12v side of my power center. I just read the instructions on installing a 25 amp digital solar regulator, from Go Power, and it states "Do not connect the negative solar array or negative battery regulator wiring to the chassis of the vehicle." I'm assuming the vehicle is the trailer. So does it sound OK to ground the battery to the trailer frame, but run a full wire line straight to the battery without a frame ground in between. The battery would still be ground, but there would be a dirrect connection between the solar regulator and battery.

Thanks for any help.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
So does it sound OK to ground the battery to the trailer frame, but run a full wire line [from the solar regulator] straight to the battery without a frame ground in between. The battery would still be ground, but there would be a direct connection between the solar regulator and battery.
That's the way mine is done. Ideally the line from the controller to the battery will be as short as possible; the line from the panel to the controller may be longer.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
I just finished wireing up most of my converter and everything works. I have the battery temperarily next to the converter and have not run the long line outside to the front yet, or frame ground the 12v side. So far I have the main 30 amp service line coming in with a ground to trailer frame off of this.

When I asked about grounding on a previous post, it was noted that I should have a ground off the trailer frame on the 120v side and the 12v side of my power center. I just read the instructions on installing a 25 amp digital solar regulator, from Go Power, and it states "Do not connect the negative solar array or negative battery regulator wiring to the chassis of the vehicle." I'm assuming the vehicle is the trailer. So does it sound OK to ground the battery to the trailer frame, but run a full wire line straight to the battery without a frame ground in between. The battery would still be ground, but there would be a dirrect connection between the solar regulator and battery.

Thanks for any help.
The whole idea here is only ONE connection to the frame of the trailer. Not a connection at the battery and one at the converter, just the one near the converter where the 120 comes in. The the metal of the converter is already connected to the safety ground and the negative battery connection.
The idea is NO current flow in the frame. If you're connected in more than one place you can have current flow in the frame which can cause what is known as ground loops, or ground loop current. Ground loop current can cause problems with electronic devices.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
That helps, thanks for the comments.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My solar controller also connects directly to the battery - no ground and nothing in between.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

My solar controller also connects directly to the battery terminals, both positive and negative. My controller is mounted in the battery box with the battery, so the wires are only a foot long or less. My solar panel is mounted on my tow vehicle with wiring through the 7 pin connector and an extension cord to connect them when we are in a campsite and the van is moved away. We had a discussion about placement at this thread here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/solar-controller-mounting-for-boler-40869.html

I am thinking about mounting the panel on the trailer next spring, which would make no difference at all to the controller connection to the battery.

Regards,
Rick G in ridiculously cold Edmonton
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar