Wireless internet via hotspot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #21

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Jon, thanks. I get it -- I need an exterior antenna. I visited your blog and saw you had yours permanently mounted. Did you buy your Wilson trucker/RV antenna with the mounting kit?

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #22

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Keith, how much is the data?
You buy a prepaid card of what you want, you can get 5 gig which expires or 3 gig when doesn’t expire for around 30 bucks. Also they send you coupons once your in the system sometimes so you can buy extra cards and just keep them until you need them. I get one in my computer bag and when I run out I just scratch if off and activate it. I have had it about six months and I am on my second card. I did the ‘Go Big” card the first time because I had no idea how much data i used a month that was a mistake because I forfeited about have the data in the time period, now I just go the no expiration amount. The initial purchase of the card I got on sale and a combined coupon so it was under 50 bucks. Then I just purchased the prepaid cards just like if you had a prepaid phone.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Yes. It came with the version of the antenna I ordered (#308433), but if you order just the antenna, it is also available on the Wilson website - A Wilson Electronics 3 way mount (#901104). You will also need an adapter to connect the antenna to the Sleek - Wilson #971119.

Again, I'm not saying you will need the Sleek & outside antenna, but if you plan to get off the beaten path, together they will often give you a useable signal where the phone alone won't.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #24

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Thanks keith. I am on a "share everything" verizon plan and started with 2 gigs. Once i went full time rv my usage rose so increased to 4 gigs. This month i may exceed that. Every 2 gig raise is about $10.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #25

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Thanks keith. I am on a "share everything" verizon plan and started with 2 gigs. Once i went full time rv my usage rose so increased to 4 gigs. This month i may exceed that. Every 2 gig raise is about $10.
Thats pretty good, I didn’t want a contract but when I had a verizon card it worked well.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #26

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
ATT limits hotspot service to mobile share data plans. Also it is a contract, so no turning it on and off as needed. But every time I asked about it the terms have changed, but I think it means Sharon would need that data plan.

Now an iPad data plan can be turned on and off as you need it. I wonder if you could get a similar plan on a data card or hotspot? Possibly even from Verizon.

Jason

Gotta luv it - a bunch of posts load after I start typing.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #27

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
OK, I bought the Wilson Sleek booster, Wilson RV/trucker antenna kit, and male-male adapter to connect the antenna to the Sleek.

One thing has me puzzled. Jon, you said you could "switch" your Sleek so it works with both Verizon and ATT? Is that tricky? I naturally bought the Sleek advertised for ATT, which, BTW, cost a few bucks more than the one advertised for Verizon. Is there REALLY a difference between the two ... and how do you make your Sleek swing both ways?

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote