Wiring a co/lp detector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: KZ
Colorado
Wiring a co/lp detector

I have a 2008 KZ Coyote TT. Recently the co/lp detector failed, so I order a replacement. When I removed the old one I failed to make a note of how the wires were connected. Any help in how to reconnect all the wires would be appreciated. Here is the set up: a white and a brown wire from the power source, two blue wires from the fuse, a red and a black wire from the detector, three wire nuts. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3030142831.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	66742
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you don't have a multimeter get one. Then check the voltage between the white and the brown wire. It should be 12 Volt DC with the white wire negative and the brown wire positive.
The white wire would then go to the black wire on the propane detector and the brown wire would go to the red wire on the propane detector. As for the 2 blue wires, it would appear that the wire connections for the propane detector were also used as connection points for something else. Try to determine what else isn't working.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If you don't have a multimeter get one. Then check the voltage between the white and the brown wire. It should be 12 Volt DC with the white wire negative and the brown wire positive. The white wire would then go to the black wire on the propane detector and the brown wire would go to the red wire on the propane detector. As for the 2 blue wires, it would appear that the wire connections for the propane detector were also used as connection points for something else. Try to determine what else isn't working.
Thanks. No, there is nothing in that area that the fused wires went to. I'm pretty sure the fuse was to protect the co/lp detector from getting fried in case of an electrical surge. What confuses me is that there were three wire nuts, so that even if I just connected the detector's red and black wires to the brown and white wires from the 12 volt source, that would leave one extra wire nut.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Thanks. No, there is nothing in that area that the fused wires went to. I'm pretty sure the fuse was to protect the co/lp detector from getting fried in case of an electrical surge. What confuses me is that there were three wire nuts, so that even if I just connected the detector's red and black wires to the brown and white wires from the 12 volt source, that would leave one extra wire nut.

You need to figure out where the blue wires go to. Since your trailer is NOT one the brands we usually deal with here you'll have to either trace them out or find a web site that deals with your brand of trailer.

This might be a good place to start... KZ Family Forum I looked at this found there a place dedicated to Coyote trailers.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Colorado
Thanks for the KZ link.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

Colorado
Here is a wiring diagram from information I received from KZ customer service. I think this may answer my question.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3784376365.jpg  
Old 11-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Here is a wiring diagram from information I received from KZ customer service. I think this may answer my question.
If the two wires coming from the fuse are the blue wires that would be correct.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If the two wires coming from the fuse are the blue wires that would be correct.
yup, they are true blue, so this should do it! Thanks again for your assistance!
Happy Trails!