Wiring for Controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2003, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wiring for Controller

Getting set to go pick up new (to me) Casita, 17' 2000 FD, in a couple weeks. Have wired truck for 7pin plug (fairly easy, truck came with heavy duty tow harness installed - was wired to 4 pin plug). Have a couple of questions, especially for those who may be driving GM truck of this genre (Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada). Right now I would have lights, but no brakes, and dont think that is the wisest way to travel. :omy

1. My owners manual says there is a 30 inline fuse for the harness near the junction block. Can anyone be more specific ? :bh

2. The harness had a wire for the brakes at the aft end, but I have no idea where it actually started from - anyone ? :u

2. Has anyone done there own controller wiring ? I have a TEKONSHA PRODIGY in hand and am about to start digging into the wiring. Advice on easiest location to tap the brake switch and what color wire I am looking for ? :m

Thanks for the help...

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #2

Wiring the brakes is a safety issue.

Hooking up the Prodigy incorrectly will smoke it.

If you are not familier with what you are trying to do you might consider having someone like U Haul do it for you.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #3

wiring Gm's

What year is your Gm?

Most newer models are pre-wired, you just need the adapter from the controller to the factory harness, which if not included with the controller , is available from the company. this harness is usually under the dash on the drivers side.
Try this site at tekonsha for the part numbers Wiring Harness

Old 06-17-2003, 07:59 PM   #4

Joe is correct.
If you go to a rental yard or U-haul they have the adaptors in stock and can get you wired up in minutes.

I was able to get a Tee One brand connector for my truck. There was no need to tap into any wiring with those terrible crunch on connectors.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:03 AM   #5

Tow Vehicle

The truck is a 98 Chey Blazer (S-10 size). I dont have the prewired "convenience center" that the 99 - 01 full size trucks seem to have. It is only four wires, so was hoping the access points would be easy to find with someones previous experience. Thanks for the suggestions. :cool

Old 06-19-2003, 05:34 AM   #6

wiring?

how's this?

1998-1999 GM Trucks, Suburbans, and Tahoes

1. Locate the convenience center at the firewall just under the emergency brake pedal.

2. At the bottom of the convenience center locate the bottom row of cavities marked:

DRK GRN (Rectangular Shaped)

NAT (Square Shaped)

3. Inside the small square cavity (NAT) are two male spade terminals. The spade terminal on the right is the Stoplight Feed (A).

4. Connect an INSULATED 1/8" female spade terminal to the brake control's RED (stoplight) wire.

5. Connect the female spade terminal to the male terminal specified in STEP 3.

1999 Silverados and Sierra Trucks

GM provided a 6-pin connector for an electronic brake control for the following trim levels:

LS in late 1999 model year production.

LT for all 1999 model year production.

New Style Convenience Center
Find convenience center at the lower left side of the firewall inside the cab.

Remove the cover by unscrewing the large black nut in the center of the cover.

Pull off cover, look at the large cavities at the top. The second cavity (A) from the left will be the 6-pin connector for electronic trailer brakes.

If your truck:

DOES NOT have this style of convenience center, see instructions for 1998-1999 GM Truck, Suburban, and Tahoe.

DOES have this style of convenience center, see instructions below for 1999 New Style Convenience Center

1999 New Style Convenience Center

WITHOUT Trailer Tow Package
This connector will be available on all models without trailer tow option. However, the only wires that are useable at the connector end will be the stoplight (RED) and ground (WHITE). The 12 volt power line (BLACK) and electric trailer brake (BLUE) will terminate just under the vacuum assist outside the firewall. Therefore, the BLACK and BLUE wires will have to be run to the battery (BLACK) and trailer connector (BLUE). The mating 6-pin connector is available from GM (P/N 12171982) or Tekonsha Towing Systems (P/N 3025) that will interface with the 6-pin connector in the convenience center. Once again this connector will not be fully functional until power (BLACK) is run to the positive side of the battery through an automatic reset circuit breaker, and the electric trailer brake (BLUE) is connected to the trailer connector at the rear of the vehicle. These wires can be found under the vacuum assist in the engine compartment.

WITH Trailer Tow Package
All vehicles with trailer tow option will have a mating 6-pin connector located in the glove box. Connect the brake control to the mating connector following GM instructions included with the connector.