Wiring Group 27 AGM Batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2009
Wiring Group 27 AGM Batteries

I would be very grateful if somebody who knows about wiring batteries could see if I have done it correctly before I flip on the switch.

1. I took the red cable from the rv and attached it to the positive post.
2. I then took the small red cable that connects the two batteries together and put one end on the post with the rv red cable and the other end of the red cable on the 2nd battery's positive post.
3. Next, I connected the black cable from the rv to the negative post on the first battery.
4. I then took the small connecting black cable and put one end on the negative post with the rv black cable.
5. Finally, I attached the other end of this black cable to the 2nd battery's negative post.
HJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As long as the RED cable was originally connected to the positive side of the original battery it sounds to me like you correctly connected them in parallel.

Get at least two more answers before you flip that switch

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Photo?

Hello,
A picture is worth a thousand words?
It would be great to see photos of your
hookup before offering advice.
Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Rather than hooking them up in parallel, (which you did correctly, from your description,) I would have chosen to wire each one individually to a BATT#1-BATT#2-OFF selector switch, which would allow you to use and charge one battery at a time. This would allow you to keep a battery in reserve while drawing from the other, or isolating them both from the "grid". Charging two batteries simultaneously is also not the best arrangement either. Just my 2 cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would call Oliver to confirm the wiring set up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2009
Wiring Group 27 AGM Batteries

Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offering your thoughts on my battery hookup description. I have read over and over, red to positive, black to negative. Since I switched to AGM batteries, the photos I had from the original batteries of how to correctly hook them back up left me uncertain.

Larry,
I did take a video and tried and tried to upload, download from my phone email to my computer email to my computer photos, etc. with NO LUCK so I resorted to the only method I knew how (as obviously a techie I am not) Describe details the old fashion way of writing my problem with words in an orderly manner of what I need help with.

Casita Greg,
I will definitely look into a Battery1, 2 Selector off switch. I am in an ever learning mode and I just learned something new. From my own limited knowledge, I thought if you had 2 or more batteries that you should connect them so you have more amps? and to keep the batteries stabilized so the stronger battery doesn't drain ??? from the other battery. As you can tell, I have limited knowledge of batteries.

Carol,
The forum members have spoiled me with the vast amount of knowledge shared here, with instant comments.
Oliver's customer service is the best. I will call them to confirm my wiring hookup - Not doubting the others who have so graciously taken the time to read and reply to my question.
HJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenH View Post
Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offering your thoughts on my battery hookup description. I have read over and over, red to positive, black to negative. Since I switched to AGM batteries, the photos I had from the original batteries of how to correctly hook them back up left me uncertain.

Larry,
I did take a video and tried and tried to upload, download from my phone email to my computer email to my computer photos, etc. with NO LUCK so I resorted to the only method I knew how (as obviously a techie I am not) Describe details the old fashion way of writing my problem with words in an orderly manner of what I need help with.

Casita Greg,
I will definitely look into a Battery1, 2 Selector off switch. I am in an ever learning mode and I just learned something new. From my own limited knowledge, I thought if you had 2 or more batteries that you should connect them so you have more amps? and to keep the batteries stabilized so the stronger battery doesn't drain ??? from the other battery. As you can tell, I have limited knowledge of batteries.

Carol,
The forum members have spoiled me with the vast amount of knowledge shared here, with instant comments.
Oliver's customer service is the best. I will call them to confirm my wiring hookup - Not doubting the others who have so graciously taken the time to read and reply to my question.
What you've done is the best and proper way to connect the batteries. Adding switches, etc. is just adding trouble. Keep it simple and enjoy trouble free camping.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenH View Post
Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offering your thoughts on my battery hookup description. I have read over and over, red to positive, black to negative.
L
Jen the reason I suggest you contact Oliver and ask is if you wired a Scamp like you described it would be WRONG! On a Scamp the black is to the positive.

Yes we have lots of knowledgable folks on here but unfortunately when it comes to wiring not all trailers are the same. You have a trailer brand that few here have actually owned so I would not expect to many to be able to give you a 100% correct answer to your question unless they also happened to own an Oliver.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Hey Jen, been wondering how you are. Red is POSITIVE on our Olivers, you've done it correctly. How are the grandkids?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote