Wiring of a Scamp to a Tug? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
I converted ken's picture to jpeg and reposted for him.
Hi all,

Not been here for a while and couldn't remember how to post a new topic but discovered I could reply to a previous question about wiring. I have a circa 1977 Scamp (nver could find the VIN on the frame, maybe its not even there anymore) and am in urgent need of assistance in figuring out the 12V wiring from the truck to the tail lamps. I'm trying to attach two bitmap images to illustrate my problem. The essential problem is that I can't tell how the tail lamps are supposed to be corrected. I have the wiring schematic diagram from Scamp and the internal wiring in my trailer (all the colors) seem correct.

OK, from the back of the truck:
I think I have the correct connection from the four-pin outlet spliced into the Bargman harness (this was already done by a previous owner and all the lights worked OK before I tried to replace the tail lamps). I traced all connections inside and now have both left side marker lights working. The right side markers don't work and now neither do the tail lamps. I am assumng the tail lamps are not wired correctly.

The new Scamp-bought tail lamps are different from the old-style ones I needed to replace. The new tail lamps from the outside have a red wire for backup lights (I don't need these and don't even know if they'll work with the four pin setup); a green and a black wire coming from the light for running lights/turn signals/brakes, and i believ each bulb has a white wire coming out.

While I understand the internal wiring for connecting side marker lights (green and white) I am completely at a loss as to which Scamp wires need to be connected to the tail lamp wires. I believe that the red Scamp wire goes to the left tail lamp and the brown Scamp wire goes to the right tail lamp.

I'm supposed to take my dughter camping next week so I am hoping someone can help me out here. Thanks in advance.

PS if i can't get the wiring diagram images to upload, maybe someone would let me email them directly??

--------------------
Ken Ford
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_a.jpg   Scamp_b.jpg  

Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #2

ken here is a quick look at what your wiring should look like
Attached Thumbnails
4_way_wiring.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

you have to make sure you are connecting the new tail lights the right way.
the white wire should be your ground , not the green. the tail lights can be tricky as you need to connect the one fillament is the running light and the second is the brake light turn signal the turn signal works by flashing the brake filament.
give a call if ya need more help
Al and the kamping katz milo, starre and lill boo
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I converted ken's picture to jpeg and reposted for him.

I have a circa 1977 Scamp (nver could find the VIN on the frame, maybe its not even there anymore) and am in urgent need of assistance in figuring out the 12V wiring from the truck to the tail lamps. I'm trying to attach two bitmap images to illustrate my problem. The essential problem is that I can't tell how the tail lamps are supposed to be corrected. I have the wiring schematic diagram from Scamp and the internal wiring in my trailer (all the colors) seem correct.

--------------------
Ken Ford
The 1st diagram appears to be correct.

[b]Truck: 4-pin Flat/Ground/White connects to [b]Trailer: 7-pin Round/Ground/White
[b]Truck: 4-pin Flat/Running/[b]BROWN connects to [b]Trailer: 7-pin Round/Running/[b]GREEN
[b]Truck: 4-pin Flat/Left/[b]YELLOW connects to [b]Trailer: 7-pin Round/Left/[b]RED
[b]Truck: 4-pin flat/Right/[b]GREEN connects to [b]Trailer: 7-pin Round/Right/[b]BROWN

That will leave 3 unconnected wires on the trailer connector:
[b]Truck: Brake Controller Output connects to [b]Trailer:7-pin Round/Brake/[b]BLUE
[b]Truck: Battery Positive connects to [b]Trailer: 7-pin Round/Charge/[b]BLACK
[b]Truck: Back-Up Light connects to [b]Trailer: 7-pin Round/Back-Up/[b]YELLOW

Tags
scamp